terra 650 eratic/high idle

Discussion in 'TR650' started by MotoXotica, Sep 28, 2017.

1. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    does the bike have a spoofer installed? It lowers the ambient temperature reading so the ECU makes the mixture richer. Those were frequently used on the TR650 to cure the stalling.
    On cold start below say 10C the engine idles quite high (2500-3000) for a few seconds which i hate. The one thing that got worse with the recall in my view. But idle should drop soon to the normal 1600.

As for the GS911: i use one since a while on my Terra and think it is an essential tool to have. Don't waste the money on farkles or a noisy exhaust but get a GS911 instead or share one with others. You cannot service the bikes without one. Beside reading and resetting error codes you can test specific components like fuel pump and - most important in my view - reset the adaptions and re-calibrate the idle actuator and throttle angle sensor. This has to be done whenever something has been done affecting the engine like changed/cleaned air filter, cleaned throttle body and idle actuator etc. You can also log all relevant data in real time which allows much better to understand certain behaviors of the engine.
  2. Kodiakgpop Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650, XR400, Aprilia Mojito, GS500
    Started the bike again this morning. Temp read 5.0F degrees. Checked the head, cylinder and the radiator with a infrared thermometer and they were at 55 degrees. Started the bike and ran it for a while, turning it off and starting it back every so often. The digital read out never got above 33.0. When I checked with the thermometer, the head was 190, cylinder 215 and radiator 172. The bar graph read just over half way between the start and the widest part. When I first started it, the idle ran up to 3000, but after letting it run for 4 minutes and restarting it, it dropped back down to about 2200.
    I let it run for 15 minutes to see if the fan would come on. It didn't.
    When it got to reading 33.0F, restarting the bike, the idle came down to 1700, but at times would run back up to 2200 to 2300.
    Let it sit for a few minutes, restarted and it idled at 1800.
    Don't have a spoofer installed. I did some time ago, but removed it before taking the bike on the TAT.
    I also have the reprogrammed ecu. But the problem of the high idle started out of the blue before the ecu was done.

Did you get your gs911 from twisted throttle or the guys in Scott's Valley in California. Also, did you get the pro version or the $399 model. Wondering who would have the best customer service if you have questions.
  3. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The temperature you see when you toggle through with the S button is measured in the airbox and is not related to the engine temperature (except for the hot engine increasing the airbox temperature when idling). The temperature in the aitbox is used by the ECU to set the mixture, among other parameters. Maybe the temperature probe is defective or the plug is not properly connected. But could also well be that the ECU is confused because it was not reset after the spoofer was removed and the recall was done.

I bought the GS911 in Switzerland when i lived in Australia. Was the cheapest price. You get very good support from hexcode and on the forums and it's fairly easy to use. I have the amateur version of the GS911 wifi. 10 VINs is plenty for personal use.
  4. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Is the throttle butterfly hitting the stop screw? You can see this by removing the seat and looking in.
  5. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

In all bikes where I have seen the erratic idle issue it is imperative that you get the Idle Actuator and Throttle position sensors reset.
    You will need a GS 911 Tool or the BMW Rheingold software and associated cables to do this. Also you will be able to see if any other errors have caused the faults and fix or reset them.
    Whilst the bike is hooked up you might as well do the Mixture Adaptation resets at the same time.
    This basically puts the bike back to factory status and is a good place to start.

The temperature reading you refer to is the Air Temperature sensor, check it is reading correctly.

It is possible that when the reset recall was done the dealer did not follow the restart procedure which will have confused the ecu a little.
    The idle actuators and throttle position sensor should be recalibrated then the bike started and run through two fan cycles without the throttle being touched.
  6. Kodiakgpop Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, I will try the gs911.

The odd thing that I didn't mention is when the condition started. After riding the TAT coast to coast, the bike sat for about three weeks. During the trip it was fine, no issues at all. It was due for the valves to be checked because it had reached 12,500 miles. After washing the bike using a garden hose and some 409 cleaner then letting it dry, I started the bike to load it up in my truck and that was the first time the idle ran up to 3000. It still had the original ecu. Thespoofer had been removed before riding the TAT, some 6,800 miles before.
  7. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    not sure if there's a connection between hosing it down and the erratic idle. Maybe water got into the plug of the temperature or O2 sensor.

Let us know how things go with the GS911 and if you run into any problems. Before you reset the ECU, make sure that all components that can have an impact on the engine are ok. Put in new spark plugs if you've still got the original ones, clean air filter, check if throttle body and idle actuator are clean, throttle cable play, air leaks if you have removed the cannister, O2 sensor ok etc.

First check for error codes. You don't need to register the VIN on the GS911 to read the error codes. Then check the throttle valve position. When i got mine back from the recall i was dissappointed how sluggish the engine performed. When i checked the the TVP it was at 70 max which seems to be the default setting when the ECU is reset which i assume is done at Magneti Marelli during the recall. It's also the maximum value for the power restricted versions in some countries. As far as i understand this means that the ECU assumes 70deg butterfly opening at max throttle. The restricted versions have a limiter that doesn't allow more than 70 deg opening. The GS911 allows to re-calibrate the TVP which sets it to 85deg. After that my Terra ran much better. Then do an adaption reset with the GS911 and rebuild the adaptions by letting the engine idle until the fan comes on twice without touching the throttle. Should take around 15 minutes. I do a real time log of that phase so i can check the details and compare it to previous runs. If the engine heats up much quicker there may be a problem with the cooling system. Also tells you if thermostat and fan are working properly.

The graph shows idle and engine temperature (degC) vs time (mins). Ambient temperature was quite high when i did the reset so idle starts at 2000 then quickly drops to 1550 +-50. I assume the temperature drop at 85C is the thermostat opening but not sure. Fan comes on at 104C and switches off at 95C. Interesting to note that during that run the airbox temperature went from 18C (ambient) to 35C due to the engine heat.

After the static rebuild, the ECU needs a few 100mls of varying riding conditions to further learn but the bike should run really well if everything is ok.

The dealers should do this as part of the recall but most don't seem to be aware or have the tools to do it. Interesting to read the very detailed and clear instructions BMW gave to the dealers as part of the similar G650GS recall but i don't think Husqvarna did the same.

Capture.PNG
  8. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    This is interesting. When I received my ECU back from local Husqvarna dealer (I took ECU in and they shipped it off for the ECU reflash), I installed it and did the adaptation reset (i.e ran engine waited for fan to come on twice.) I don't have a GS911 but do have Rheingold setup. Anyone know if the TVP can be reset with Rheingold and how to go about it?
    Chuffa likes this.
  9. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    i need to correct my above statement after i've done a few tests with my Terra and the GS911. The GS911 is NOT required to set the maximum throttle valve position. The default TVP after a reset indeed is 70 but the ECU will automatically update the maximum TVP when it exceeds 70. The GS911 has a functionality to reset the TVP and to calibrate the maximum but the GS911 is not required to calibrate the maximum TVP. So i'd say all that is required after a reset (and the recall) is to twist the throttle to max and hold it there for a few seconds to calibrate the max TVP. But first let the engine idle until the fan comes on twice to set the baseline.
    Chuffa likes this.
  10. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Thanks CarstenB. Is the twisting throttle to max done with the engine running or can it be done with engine off but ignition on?
  11. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    ignition on, engine off
    LED and Chuffa like this.
  12. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Rheingold can do the TVP reset and calibration.

Service Function - Drive - Adaptations = Search

You can read the current Throttle Position Sensor settings. Mine are usually Closed 1.3 % and Open 87.5 %.
    When you reset the TPS it shows 0 % and 70 % then you do the calibration by fully opening and holding 3 seconds for the values to update.
    Mine then show 1.3% and 87.5 % again.
    LED likes this.
  13. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Thanks Mark_H. I'll have to play with Rheingold a bit more when I get the time.
  14. Kodiakgpop Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Haven't ordered the GS911 just yet.
    Since the air box temp seemed extremely low, when the bike was left to sit in the garage for a length of time the temp of the air box would be 0 degrees, I decided to try something.
    I took the air filter out and directed the hot air from a hair dryer into the air box. It took about 4 minutes to get it up to 70 degrees (F). The outside temperature was 62 degrees.
    I started the bike and the idle was still at 3000rpm. But what was different, when I would turn it off and re-start it, the idle would drop to 1800rpm then slowly creep back up to the 3000 level.
    I failed to mention that when I washed the bike, I also cleaned my KandN air filter. I only shook it out and let it sit for about 30 minutes before putting it back.
    So, I'm wondering if some moisture from the filter could have damaged the temp sensor and in turn causing the high idle. If the sensor is reading 0 degrees when the ambient temperature is 65+ and really doesn't get above 45 to 50 when the bike is warmed up, could the computer be telling the bike that it's so cold that it needs to run up the idle? Would that cause the ECU to adapt to an extremely cold weather condition, thus it runs at a high idle all the time. Would it affect resetting the ECU?
    On a side note, when I let the bike idle, its really hard to get the fan to come on. I have to let the bike run for a long time.
    Anyway, have ordered a new sensor to give it a try. Have to see if they read differently cold.
    What do they say, always do the simple things first.
  15. Kodiakgpop Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, put a new air box sensor in and now it seems to be running a lot better. Instead of reading 0 to 5 degrees on a warm day, it reads 40+.
    Idle dropped to 1,600.
    Did a reset of the ECU just to be sure.
    No when cold it idles at 1,800+ but will drop back down when warm and airbox temp is above 40.
    LED likes this.
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Well done.
    Keep that IACV sparkly clean.
  17. Kodiakgpop Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, the high idle came back.
    Found a shop with a GS911 reader and there were all sorts of codes.
    One that they couldn't clear and they feel is causing the problem is for the air box pressure.
    Is there a specific sensor? I can't seem to find it on the shop manual.
  18. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    do you have the exact error code at hand? Haven't hear about an air box pressure error before and there's no specific sensor for that as far as i know.
  19. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    :thumbsup:

Which also consigns the arguments about air box design, pod mod versus glued filters, airflow discussions etc. to the crapper.
  20. Kodiakgpop Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    The shop notes say:
    Ambient Pressure Sensor, voltage too high.
    System voltage Malfunction.