terra 650 eratic/high idle

Discussion in 'TR650' started by MotoXotica, Sep 28, 2017.

1. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

We are working on a customer 2013 bike . it has 12000 miles, the valves are in spec and it has fresh oil and spark plugs. it has a very high idle at times ~3000. sometimes it idles lower as in around 1800 but usually starts to creep up in short order.it started doing this all of a sudden. it has had the ecu recall performed and is behaving the same with two different throttle bodies. any input would be appreciated. dan
  2. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Did it come in with that behavior or only after you worked on it (assuming you did the service)? Are all cable connectors plugged back in and fully seated? Any cables pinched?

Does the throttle cable have enough free play? Let the tach do it's full round after ignition on before you touch the starter button. Don't touch the throttle when starting the engine.
  3. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

it just started doing it for the customer. he brought it in for a service and the ecu update and some wiring repairs. we did the work and the idle was real high still but not always high.it might be idling at 3100, turn the bike off and it might idle at 2000 then it will start creeping up to around 3000. before the ecu update the bike smelled real rich. now after the update the exhaust smells only slightly rich. we did check fuel pressure and it is about right, so is voltage at the battery. throttle cable is positively free not preloaded.
  4. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    ave you looked at the idle actuator?
  5. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

well I am not familiar with any idle actuator. are you referring the stepper motor? we did install a completely different throttle body and that really did not change the behavior. dan
  6. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Dan- do you have another ECU you could plug in for a quick baseline comparison? (or do they do the BMW-esque VIN security check or whatever?)
  8. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    yes they do, it IS a BMW after all...

loose battery terminals can cause all sorts of strange behaviours.
  9. TN_Terra Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Son has Triumph Street Triple R
    If you have a GS911 I would try the throttle position reset and test of the idle control servo.
  10. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

What controls the stepper motor on the 650? dan
  11. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    what do you mean? The ECU controls it based on engine and air temperature mainly (i'd guess). The conical tip tends to get gooey and needs to be cleaned from time to time as does the bore in the throttle body.

tr650_4__(1).JPG
  12. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

we did clean the stepper motor. was wondering if there is some other switch, relay or such involved. seems like ther are some parts on this bike that I don't see on the parts diagrams.could be something wrong with the ecu which we had updated. dan
  13. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    The IAC (stepper) is controlled by RPM (sent to ecu), it is the governor at idle so to speak.

I would be curious to know if the bmw ecu would work. I think Wayne has more info in regards to that how and why it probably won't without some special configurations. He did post up some diagrams with labels for the pinouts at http://faq.f650.com.
  14. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

this bike has an immobilization system and the ecu is one of the pieces of that system . a replacement ecu has to come from Husqvarna thru special processes, takes a few months to get one. dan
  15. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50

Pretty much so. However, if you throw the stock ecu into the trash, setup a micro squirt and new digital speedo, you pretty much have solved all the troubles.

Considering the price of a new ecu, I would rather go with a user accessible unit.

Don't know the compatibility of the harness of the TR650 and g650. Pretty much all the sensors are similar. One guy here was going to put the full electronics of the g650x on his. Don't know if he ever finished it or even tried.

For me, I would prefer the micro squirt, being user programable. Just a bit more technical work to hook it up.
  16. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    No I did not post any info into the FAQ at F650.com, the diagrams there are no use to the Terra, different ECU, there is some TR650 info on my web site
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Sorry, I could have sworn I read something about pinouts somewhere.:thinking: maybe it was in the wiring diagram.
  18. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    No worries, the Husky Terra pdf on the page I linked to has all the pin outs for the ECU's plus this page has further BMS-E info, fuel sys pdf coming soon
  19. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    The idle actuator can/must be caliabrated, did the new throttle body have different actuator or are you using the old one? Either way recalibrating cant hurt.
  20. Kodiakgpop Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650, XR400, Aprilia Mojito, GS500
    Dan was not able to correct the idle problem, he tried and I'm sure spent a lot of time and effort that he never billed me for. Thanks Dan.

In trying to find a dealer with the Moss system, even a BMW dealer, either no one has one or the BMW guys will not touch a Terra at all.

So I was looking into a gs911 unit, they say they can do some limited adjustments and calibrations as well as clearing codes. Has anyone used one of these units on a TR650?

Also, the other day, I started the bike up to see if anything had changed (hoped) and I noticed two things. First the idle ran up to 3,000 rpm and sat there like before. But after 3 minutes, I turned the bike off and restarted it. The idle dropped to about 2,200. Tried turning the bike off and restarting several more times and the idle would be between 2,100 and 2,300. The exhaust also changed, very rich when I first started it, but when the idle dropped, the bike did not seem as rich.

That's when I noticed the temp. It started off at 5f degrees and the snowflake icon was flashing when I started. The temp never got above 55 degrees, even after running the bike for 15 minutes. The bike was in the sun and it was 65 degrees outside. This made me wonder if the bike is reading that it is extra cold out, could this cause it to run the idle up?