Tennessee /Kentucky /Arkansas winter riding?

Discussion in 'East - USA' started by Suamico SD, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350 , Gas Gas Raga 300
    My son and I have 4 days in January to head south for some Offroad riding. Our bikes are not plated so the trails need to be open to off road bikes (we do have quiet SA exhausts).

We are driving from NE Wisconsin (-8 degrees last night) so I would like to keep it near 500 miles if possible.

Ideally the riding would be a mix of flowing single track,moto track and grass track.

Lastly, looking or 50 degrees or warmer daytime temps.

Suggestions?
  2. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    If you like rocks, then the White Rock/Mill Creek area of Arkansas can keep you entertained for a couple of days. There are other riding areas that you could trailer to fairly close. We like to stay at Mulberry Mountain because it has direct access to the Mill Creek riding area.

http://ozarktraveltips.blogspot.com/2007/09/mill-creek-trails-at-white-rock-wma.html

http://mulberrymountainlodge.com/

In SE AR:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ouachita/recreation/bicycling/recarea/?recid=10797&actid=24

Wolf Pen Gap is not as technical as White Rock.

We also have several nice riding areas in Oklahoma if you find yourself that far west.
  3. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's what im looking for, however it's 900 miles fom home. Anyone know anything a little closer?
  4. Stuntman Mike Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 250 enduro, 1986 400 enduro
  5. Captnemo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 ('15), TX300 ('19), TX300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ATK406 ('94 XC),
  6. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
  7. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    We're looking a the 3rd weekend in jan to head down.

I looked at the freeman resort, anyone stayed there?
  8. Captnemo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 ('15), TX300 ('19), TX300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ATK406 ('94 XC),
    Check with Steve at Halls Cycle in Springfield, IL - I think some guys from the shop have been there.
    217-789-0107
  9. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    Good thread!
  10. colemanapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Freeman Resort. Not stayed there personally but its just south of where we ride alot and I've got lots of riding buddies that like Freeman Offroad. I'd give the owner Link a call and see what he has going. Its always rideable but we do get snow and cold similar to your area at times. 3rd week of January could be 70 degrees or minus 5. Its always doable riding here if youre prepared for it. We did 60 miles yesterday in 30-35 degree temperatures and it was nice. Link's a Husky rider too and from what I hear, very capable of giving you a great tour at any level.
    Not sure about MX or grass track but you can expect rocky trails, woods, trees, hills, creeks and some more rocks. You could try St. Joe state park in MO just south of St. Louis. A big sandy area (not my stuff but there's a semi grass track there somewhere), and lots of woodes trails, moslty quad. The camping's good if you plan on that.
    If you go the MO route, let me know and I'll try and throw in a tour of some private singletrack
  11. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    That St Joe park looks kind of cool and seems closer than some of the other spots. I spent a little time at Fort Wood when i was in so i know the weather can be hit or miss in jan.

Have you ridden at St Joe?
  12. colemanapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, ridden at St. Joe lots. Theres a larger open sand area where you could similate a grass track plus lots of trails in wooded hills of varying difficulty. Good thing is you wouldnt need a guide like at Freemans. I'd think you could have a good couple days there. No single track but there's plenty of less frequented trails and you really don't see many riders once you get in the woods. Its hit or miss on crowds. Even if the lots brimming with trucks and riders, theres just not much seeing them in the woods. I would caution against hauling total ass on the outer loop as it gets a little more traffic. The trails are also bi-directional so you could be hauling into a quad. It has good rideability in crappy weather. The campgrounds are top notch but shower houses not open in Jan. There is also a couple hotels and civilization nearby. You'd be hearing fiddles at Freemans and staying in a small cabin. Thats good too but theres a walmart near St. Joes.
    ray_ray likes this.
  13. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    We have a lot of riding here in east tennessee, look up coal creek. my club(volunteer riders .com) have built single track but it is pretty technical. Plenty of atv trails.
    I could lead you guys but can't guarantee the weather.
    We have a club ride jan. 6th
  14. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I looked up coal creek and it seemed like all atv stuff. Not into big mud holes etc. We love technical rocky single track though. That is as long as there is a space after to "clean" the plug and cool the bike down again.
  15. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    We have plenty of single track, but it is not on the map, we try to keep it unpublished.
  16. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Is it marked? I'm pretty good at not getting lost, but ....
  17. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    No it is not marked, but be glad to show you around as long as it is not real wet. I think I could get lost on a MX track....
  18. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok, right now our plan is to watch the weather to see if we ride at st joes or coal creek. if we do ride coal creek,I will definitely want to take you up on your offer as a guide.
  19. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just give me a few days warning, sounds like fun!
  20. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Im still trying to decide, were less than a week out. The weather is the real decison maker here. Water racer whats your drop dead day you need to know if we want your help?