1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Tell me about the CR ignition on your WR250/300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by K5PL5, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    You say "equal trigger length". How exactly is the spark triggered on these? All of my EFI experience is on cars, where generally there is a short pulse at TDC (or some point known to be relative to TDC) that the ECM uses to determine engine position each rev, and then and does the math to figure out when to fire the spark.

I guess it would be best if I understood exactly how the system was triggered.

What is so different about the Ducati units? To my understanding, I would think that as long as you can provide the CDI box with power and the proper trigger signal, it will work. The trigger signal is just a binary on/off (right?), so how much will these differ.

Clearly I'm missing some details of this. :D
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I don't know everything about CDI either, but I've found that if it's programed to see a signal for X number of degrees it won't like a trigger that has a different X factor.

HPI has programmable boxes, so I'm sure something could be fixed there. Same as with an MSD unit. But, when it comes to swapping a unit from one bike to another with a non programmable box that's where it will matter. Like taking a YZ250 ignition and installing it on a WR.

A stator and flywheel from a CR125 might every well be the best set up you could start with. The stator plate seems to be the same as the one from a 2002 CR250 and the flywheel has the right trigger size to run the '02 box, or a JD Racing unit. It also seems to use the same plug.

I'm also looking more at a plug and play type system that we could swap over from another bike. If you were willing to work at it and possible trash a top end, then you could probable figure out something just trying to adapt a box from another bike into the Ducati stator.

Personally, I'm not willing to put that much into it. I was able to get an '01 stator to work with an '02 box and that was hard enough.

Disclaimer time; I've been looking at something I can pick up from salvage, for less than $200 and make it work like a $1200 2002 CR250 system, without spending another $200 in machine work.

If you have the money, then just buy the 2002 unit and install it. I just hate paying that much for a unit that is just like the one from a Jap bike that I can buy new for less than half that price.

I'm cheap. I've got about $250 and a few hours work in my ignition.

Now I'm just trying to help you guys get the same performance at the same price.
    Al H, trailboss, 454x and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I am cheap too. I am not going to spend $1k on this; $250 is about the max I will do, and I would love to do less. I also need to have lights, so that makes it even harder.

But, I do love a project...
    454x likes this.
  4. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    umm wich rotation are we talking about clockwise? thats to the right -> for all you digital kids.
    pvl do a husqvarna set up.. im interested as it looks like my cdi has given up the ghost from my 2002 360. so unless i can get an illusive cr ignition i may well be looking into pvl. failing that ive got a good looking bit of rolling scrap.
  5. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    So, bottom line is CR ignition and lights do not mix well together?
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cr and pvl dont support lighting.
    I plan to use an rc battery to run lights on road.
  7. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    PVL system came off my 250. Between having the Lectron all screwed up and the timing I went back and looked over all of the stock one. Found a spot that could possibly have been shorting taped it up and reinstalled. Got it to fire but still chasing the right Lectron setting. Might look into putting the PVL back on after I get a break in races, but I'm not overly optimistic with it. Marking it up as a $470 mistake at this point.
  8. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account

So are you really looking at $1200 to buy a complete new 02' CR250 set up that's plug and play in the 300? Can you dual map this set up? Thanks
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Msmith345 So you dont think pvl is the way togo then?
    Its a bit cheaper in uk as theyre a german company about £160
    complete set-up with 13• advance curve. Oh the pvl site states these
    Systems can run both ways!
  10. buzuki Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    KDX200,KX125,CR250,50cc quad,
    Does this also mean the dash would not work?
  11. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Depends on what dash youve got.
    If its a trail tech then yes it will
    Work from its own battery
    If its supposed to be powered from the loom
    No it wont be supported.
  12. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    It's a complete setup and it has 2 timing marks; one for ccw and one for cw rotation. The thing about the curve is its not a curve. It's a static. If you're 13* advanced at idle, it will be 13 degrees advanced at 10k rim as well. If you look at the stock curve, it varies between about 8 degrees at just above idle to around 26 degrees at high rpms. So, even with a perfectly setup PVL, you're not going to have it all at all RPMs.
  13. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Chums, that would be about right, and yes, you can dual map a JD Racing box.

The 2002 stator has three empty poles on it that should be able to be wound for lighting.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I dont think it is all worth the fuss. I have a 02 CR250, runs great. But so does a Wr250. If you could do it for like $200 it might be worth it but any more than that your throwing your money away IMHO. Spend money on suspension and have way more gains.
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  15. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Ive kinda moved on from this idea. I will most likely change to a different bike next year. WR300 has enough power for the racing Im doing so Ive decided not to mess with it.
  16. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yeah, it is really to expensive to be sensible, but they just run so much better. And what has sensible got to do with dirt bikes anyway?
    Al H and PowerKord like this.
  17. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hay kelly im not sure on every one else but im
    Just trying to find a good replacement ignition for my wr
    I cant get a cr ignition for sensible price...

Msmith so our wr ignitions are 8deg advance curve?
    So i should get the 22deg set up? Not meaning to wind any one up
    Just trying to be clear
  18. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    http://www.husqvarnafactory.nl/pdf/2011/2011_WSM_WR_250-300.pdf
    page 302

If you're still referring to the PVL system, it's a fixed timing analog system. You measure and adjust to where you want it to fire. They do make a digital one with a fixed curve that you advance or retard the entire curve, however, as far as Husqvarnas go, they only offer one for 93-current 125-175 applications. They do not offer it for displacements over 200cc.

They don't give model specific timing suggestions only a general guess based on displacement. Which is basically where my gripe is. I had it in their suggestion, and it was firing with the exhaust ports open, and another adjustment, it kicked back so hard I thought it broke my foot/ankle, but it for sure broke the shank of my hiking boots I was wearing. Another time, and it wouldn't shut off, so I pulled the plug cap, and put 50k volts through myself. It's a strong spark, it arced to the plug over 5 inches away.
  19. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Is the CR stator plate the same diameter as the WR300 plate and use the same bolt hole locations? My 11 Ducati stator measures 110mm in diameter. Anyone have a CR or earlier WR stator laying around they can measure?
    ray_ray likes this.
  20. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have the complet set up on my Wr 300 and I also have a new original old stock set up on the shelf I will measure it tonight john
    Eaglefreek likes this.