1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Tell me about the CR ignition on your WR250/300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by K5PL5, Dec 30, 2013.

1. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    So I see some guys out there have switched to a CDI from the older CR models. Please enlighten me. What years fit and what benefits did you see?
    I race my WR in the ECEA series over here on the East coast. Is this something more suitable for wide open riding?
    Thanks
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    The 2002 ignition is the way to go, period. With the JD racing CDI box it is incredibly better. It starts better and runs better from idle on up and the top end is unbelievable. It's like it's not the same bike. I jet in a lot more fuel then I can with the WR ignition. I'm about two pilots, one clip and 8 mains bigger than what I could get the WR to run and it runs a lot cleaner.

I just tried to go back to the WR ignition so I could run some lights, but it's not worth it. I'll just run the lights off a battery and hope for the best.
    Xcuvator and Motosportz like this.
  3. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nice. Thanks for the feedback. So I found one on ebay and Im wondering if it will work. Any issue with model year?
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    2002 CR250 is what you want.

I made a 2001 stator work with the JD racing box, but you don't want to go through what I had to do to get it to work.

BTW- The JD box is a dual map box.
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I also run a FWW with mine.
  6. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    And thats a...?
  7. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Flywheel weight?
  8. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Can the CR ignition be made to run a light?
  9. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ahh yes. I was like hmmm.. A fat wide wheel? A fuggin weird wombat...a fat wastegate washer..?
    bax3, 454x and Blair7 like this.
  10. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yeah, a flywheel weight. :D

I haven't been able to figure out a way to get lighting with the CR ignition, but I keep looking.
  11. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    cdi ignition box & stator swap only motorhead? does coil change? can you rewind the stator to get enough juice? don't know much about electrics but heard of this!
    Johnny105 likes this.
  12. WVdag Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250 W/300 kit, 2013 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1987 Harley FXLR 10th year edition
    Could you chuck the WR flywheel in a lathe and turn a little off of it and achieve the same thing?
    Just wondering.
  13. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    no as the cr flywheel is about 50mm across the wr is 100+ across the rotational mass is what gives the lowdown grunt shaving off any weight from the wr may improve revvs but no where near as much as the correct flywheel from a cr, ive been after one for a while as i would love to slam it in my 360 just to see.
  14. chris anders Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 CR250 , 2002 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 Suzuki RM250
    you are correct about the huge difference between cr and wr ignition- i recently had the chance to swap bikes for a quick ride with a guy that had a 04 wr 250 - Wow! my 02 cr was way quicker ! the wr developed alot of low end quickly- but thats all it had. the cr just keeps on reving/pulling.Trust me-you will be blown away once you change to the cr ignition! hope ur able to round one up!
    juicypips likes this.
  15. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    i have come to the conclusion i will have to buy a cr an swap the ignition over an part the donner out or keeps for spares.
  16. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow this is all great info. Im going to quietly search for a CR ignition haha..
    Motosportz likes this.
  17. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    The big difference in the 2002 CR ignition is in the electronics. The lighter flywheel is actually a negative in my book and that's why I run the flywheel weight ( FWW ). But, the overall performance is just night and day different. Like chris anders said, it just pulls out like mad forever. It runs cleaner on the bottom and is just much sharper in response, then it's on to the massive top end.

Shaving the WR flywheel won't do what the '02 ignition does. A '01 CR ignition won't do it either. It's just like a light flywheel WR ignition, or a little better, but not like a '02.

The JD racing box makes it another step better because of the curve they map into it and it has a soft curve for slick conditions.

The problem with rewinding for lights is that there isn't any room in the flywheel for bigger coils.

And you can use the WR ignition coil. It is the same as the WR.
  18. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    search extra quietly for me too K5PL5!:thumbsup: so theoretically all one would need is an 02 cr ignition(little black box thingy behind frame?) or buy the JD racing box(this is like a vortex cdi ignition box thingy with multiple maps?) & plug in? that easy? flywheel/coil/stator remains the same just cant run lights? this goes for 300s too? pardon my ignorance find this very interesting though gents especially dual map switch!
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    When I owned my 02 CR250, almost everyone who rode it would get off and say "I gotta get one of these" ... Almost everyone ... It got to the point where I was expecting it said to me each time someone rode it.

I should add, they were not referring to the suspension as the reason to like the bike ...it was engine and feel of that bike when sitting or riding ...
  20. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    so this had me look up some part numbers
    the CR 250 and 360 shared ignitions
    the WR 250 and 360 had different ignitions, assuming for the power application and torque curve
    now we go back in time for a moment my Swedish models shared ignitions on the 250 400 430 and 500, there was a CR internal ignition and a mini-6 external for the XC and WR models which had a lighting coil, but all interchangeable, early Huskys had a little less to do with subtleties than the Italian models, the cylinders and pistons today like then are the same model to model, except for the odd 87 CR250, and the 2001 and 2002 CR and WR 250 share cylinders and pistons, I looked ;)
    now back to today, seems the difference between all the ignitions is purpose of use as in the WR models for bottom torque an CR for snap and raw acceleration, my brother has a 98 KTM 360 and it is fine on a single track but has much more explosive power across the board so this caused my head to spin (not quite around) I am interested to try a CR ignition and the idea of mapping sounds like the ticket, thank you MOTORHEAD for the post, but before you go too far with patting yourself I am going to have a wallet hit as I am going to be buying multiple ignitions this new year, your 360 and a 2002 CR 250 and its mapping :mad:, but I am looking forward to finding my application that suits me :D
    so dumb question, most bikes are similar in application and use in the early days they shared ignition components, aside from a different mounting and crank taper has anyone considered what it would take to use a different, uh oh I am going to say it,, brand of motorcycle ignition :eek:
    all you would need is a baseline to set the ignition timing after the conversion
    now don't forget the rotation is critical too, just curious if anyone heard of or considered this :confused: