1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 Engine Ticking Noise

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Apri11, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Padowan Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R850GS, Yamaha TTR250
    I wasn't aware that there were any clutch dampers in the basket - it looks like a single item to me without springs or rubber inserts
    [IMG]
    aha2070 and Dangermouse449 like this.
  2. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I was going to say the exact same thing.
    The torque limiter is what absorbs driveline shocks....
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I'd guess #6 is a diaphragm spring maybe. but you're right- I don't see any rubber or spring dampers. I'm guessing the torque limiter takes any drive-train shock.

but your point is taken: if there are no rubber dampers, then they're probably not the source of the noise.

I doubt the engineers wanted something on the end of the crank that could oscillate out of frequency too much. it would act like a non-harmonic un-balancer <jk>

[DM: you beat me to it]
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  4. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    #6 is the clutch plate cover.
    #9 is the diaphragm spring
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  5. aha2070 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    duke 200
    the sounds look like knock knock knock to me..... but will disappear when pull clutch lever or clutch house already loose
  6. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I would be removing the RH side case and reinspecting the gears and bearings.
    aha2070 and Apri11 like this.
  7. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 FE 450 / 2013 TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4
    TE511 Head.jpg

Removed both left hand and right hand cases to search for a little item that has seems to be lost. gears/bearings a fine as well. I believe I have found the issue. Whilst reassembling and transitioning the head from one bench to the other, there was a point I remember when I had semi tipped the head over by accident. A half ball shim had come a drift from the left hand inlet valve but I managed to recover it. I must have stupidly forgot to check more carefully as the valve shim cap (no.6 circled - part number 7706965 - Cotter trw lk6h) also must have dislodged, never to be found again. I was worried it might have fallen down the valve train and ended up in the gearbox but I have had a pretty good look in there with both case covers removed. I'm sure this is causing the awful valve ticking noise described. Awaiting a few replacement parts, will reassemble and fingers crossed, the issue will be solved.
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    The missing part is in your shop or in your engine. I would spend a lot of time trying to find it.
  9. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4

I've had quite a decent look, other than separating the crank case again, I really think it has ended up on my workshop floor and could have rolled/bounced anywhere. I've cleaned the workshop 3 times since I was unaware that the part was missing so I'll more than likely never know. If it had fallen down the cam chain void during reassembly I would have heard it surely, especially when the motor was dry. I don't think it's in there really.
  10. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    ...look on your rotor magnets (but I don't know how the oil flows on your engine). Oil screens. (oil plug magnets? if they exist). double-triple-quadruple check the head and timing chain area. Follow the oil drain path. use a magnetic pick up tool to fish with (and spend half an hour "fishing" in the crankcase.

get on your hands and knees on the shop floor so you can look horizontally and use a bright tightly beamed flashlight horizontally (the relief will cause noticeable shadows.)

drop or place the other one on the floor to register (in your brain) what you are looking for.

spend 2 hours patiently looking. pretend it is worth $2000... because that is easily the amount it could save you.

It is important to find it.
    Apri11 likes this.
  11. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4

Done all that, even looked through the shed in pitch blackness with a torch to try and pick up any reflection from the shiny little bastard. I'll spend some time again though, appreciate your advice.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  12. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4
    It seems the actual part number selected previously is an actual valve retainer (Item No. 6 - part number 7706965 - Cotter trw lk6h). The actual part I have lost and can not find either in the motor or anywhere for that matter is called a valve lash cap and is part of the complete valve assembly. Does anybody know rather than ordering the complete valve assembly which is costly btw, where I could possibly source one of these little terrors that will suit this model? It seems even the G450X does not use such an item looking through their exploded parts view.

2013 TE449-511 TE511 Valve Assembly.jpg
  13. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Dude,
    I think you may be panicking a little bit.
    Didn't you say a shop checked out your valve clearances for you? If there was anything missing they would not have been able to set them.

The part you have marker in the parts drawing comes with the new valve. (note the bracket around all of no. 1) - }
    4 is a stem seal.
    6 is the half cone (collet) and 7 is the half ball.
    The only way to get one would be to buy a valve.

However, if your valve clearances are correct I would think that there is no part missing....
  14. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    So just reread the earlier posts, you said one clearance was fairly wide.... I assumed that had been corrected
  15. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4

The valve lash cap is definitely lost, it was the bike mechanic which picked up the issue when I had asked them to check the valve clearances and adjust if needed. I didn't realise the actual little bastard was lost until the guy questioned me. You are definitely correct, one would have to order a complete new inlet valve in order to receive a valve lash cap as well, which incidentally is quite expensive as one would assume. I had got onto a bloke at precisionshims.com.au who has been quite helpful and he is confident that he can supply one based on the measured dimensions I had given him. I haven't received the cap from him yet, but I'm hopeful all will end well.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  16. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Sounds like a good outcome.
  17. Huskyinoz Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 Husqvarna cr250

Did it get sorted?
    My TC 449 has a mystery noise that sounds like a knocking sound that goes away with RPM,
    It sounds like its from the rocker cover area.

Wondering if the shim guy made the lash cap,
    And if you had the dimensions?

It would also be a decent way of setting valve clearance depending on the price,
    As placing shims under the lash cap likely would be also....