1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 Engine Ticking Noise

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Apri11, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 FE 450 / 2013 TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4
    Hi, I had a few dramas of late with my particular ride (2013 TE511 - approx. 6,500km), biggest issue is the torque limiter gear bearing in the side cast casing letting go, unleashing quite a few deadly balls and metal fragments from hell into the crank case and destroying a few teeth in various gears. So after I had replaced what I thought needed to be replaced i.e. torque limiter gear, clutch basket, control gear Z=32, complete new side crankcase cover, new piston rings, gaskets etc. and reassembled the motor, the motor now has a a very evident ticking noise. The ticking noise varies upon throttle response, that is as rev's increase so does the frequency of the ticking noise. My only theory I can possibly come up with is that maybe the oil pump is not working as it should and the hydraulic cam chain tensioner is not seeing sufficient pressure maybe being the cause of the possible noise??? How would one actually test whether the oil pump is working as it should on these bikes as I can't seem to find anywhere in the workshop manual explaining how to do so? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Mods performed - ZipTy recirc kit
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Your fellow Aussies have discovered that some 449/511 rotor bolts (I think they attach the 1-way starter clutch to the flywheel IIRC) can back out- destroying the stator and sometimes the rotor ($400+USD). It makes a very regular ticking sound.

check out this thread: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/449-511-important-urgent-flywheel-inspection.45218/

I did not realize that the cam chain tensioner was hydraulic; I assumed it was sorta a spring/ratchet design- thanks.

There is a FB page for your bike too.
    Apri11 likes this.
  3. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4

Thanks, didn't realise this was a potential issue. I had the stator out obviously during the repairs but didn't check those bolts, although I think the issue is unrelated to my latest concerns, I will remember to have a look at these bolts :)
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Pull the clutch lever and see if it goes away.
    aha2070 and Apri11 like this.
  5. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4
    It's not related to the clutch, tried that.
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hoping for the easy win for you. I'm sure you've got the valve train and clearances in spec after the rebuild, but a quick look under the valve cover will take care of that as a problem, plus ensuring that oil is indeed making it up top.
    Apri11 likes this.
  7. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4
    Thanks mate for your advice. I have the valves getting looked at shortly to ensure in spec, but how would I test to know whether oil is making its way up to the top? Is there an inspection screw on the side of the head I can take out to see when the bike is running for example, I can't seem to figure out and the workshop manual does seem to be much help either.....
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    There should be ample evidence of oil all over the top end thanks to the cam chain. It will be a nice coating over pretty much everything. Not heavy mind you, but certainly not dry. Since you're running the Zip-Ty oil system, you should have more than enough oil in there. You could loosen the front screen plug (don't remove) and run it for a few seconds to see if there's pressure, but that's a messy way to do it. The quick way is get it warm and stand it up straight. Look through the window on the right hand case and check for flow. No guarantee as both pumps will make oil move, but another quick check.
    Apri11 likes this.
  9. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    If it has run for any length of time while short on oil, it should have had an issue by now.... Motors typically don't like running on low oil pressure.

Are you confident that you found all the damaged gears during the work? If you had one damaged tooth on a gear it would make an engine speed related noise.
    Is the noise still apparent when in gear with the clutch pulled, if not its in the gear train somewhere, if it continues it will be engine/ crank /clutch related.
    Having had a flywheel bolt come out and eat the stator, I can vouch for an expensive sounding loud rhythmic ticking sound.
    Hope that helps you.
    Apri11 and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  10. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4

Thanks mate. I have actually ridden it for about 3 kilometres and the ticking noise is proportional with rpm change as well, but I do agree that the motor would have shown issues if low oil pressure is experienced, so that alone gives me a little confidence. As far as the flywheel bolts are concerned,, I will check them when I have a chance, painful pulling that stator cover off though :( There still exists some minor damaged gears in the gearbox but the worst ones that had broken teeth etc. were replaced. I just didn't see the sense in replacing every gear as the rebuild was quite expensive on it's own, plus I have about 6,500km on the clock now anyway and was confident it should be fine. The reason why I had sort of pointed towards the cam chain tensioner is that I had pulled it out the other day, cleaned it out, slightly re-oiled and put back in. When I started the bike back up, the ticking sound was not there, not until I started reving it, the noise began to return. I've since pulled back out and filled completely and pressurising the tensioner by completely submersing in engine oil by operating the tensioners piston. I had also inspected the sliders. I haven't placed back in yet though to see if any change.....
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I've owned a mechanic's stethoscope for about 25 years. I've used it 4-5x's and it's totally worth the 8 bux I paid for it back then. It is able to pin-point noises insanely good... and I'm hard of hearing. Seems like this would be a good time to get one; I also see the price on ebay has dropped to a bit over $3 delivered in the US. You will never go back to the screwdriver-trick again... just about guaranteed.

good luck.

[IMG]
    Dangermouse449 and Apri11 like this.
  12. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4

A bloke at work has suggested the same funnily enough, I'll look at purchasing one I think, thanks.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  13. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Even a piece of hose placed up to one ear is often enough to locate the area of concern.
    It's possible it's the tensioner as you mentioned...
    Do you recall if it is there at all times, or only with the clutch out?

The stator cover takes about 10 mins to remove as long as you have a 14 front sprocket.... That allows you to to remove the gear lever without splitting the chain.
    When the bolt ate my stator in the forest, I layed the bike on its side, pulled the cover and removed the debris from in there.
    I was then able to complete 3 more hrs on the ride by swapping out batteries with my buddies
    Apri11 likes this.
  14. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4

The ticking noise is quite distinct. hasn't always been there. It's in the shop now though having the valves looked at, so hopefully the guys there can provide a little insight. I had bought a stethoscope as you had suggested, the noise is coming from the cam chain area, possibly from the hydraulic cam chain tensioner, still unsure though.
  15. aha2070 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    duke 200
    Yes my 449 goes away when pulled the clutch lever, then what I should do ?

thank you
  16. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nothing, this is normal.
    aha2070 likes this.
  17. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    It's normal to have some gear train rattle / roll-over noise definitely, if it's a single ticking noise and it stops when the clutch is pulled, then it's unlikely be the cam chain.

Either there is a damaged gear or bearing making noise (bent gear tooth, pitted bearing etc) or there may be a clearance or thrust race issue on the crank.
    (operating the clutch pushes the crank to the left of the engine)
    Removing the RH engine side covers should reveal the issue.

A cam chain related noise really should not change in relation to the clutch operation.
    Apri11 likes this.
  18. Apri11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Aprilia RSV4
    Supposedly one of the valves has quite a large clearance issue, why, I still don't know. Should know a little more next week hopefully.
    motsitruc likes this.
  19. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Valve issues with these engines is very, very rare.
  20. aha2070 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    duke 200
    local mechanic said because clutch dampers made from rubber had been loose.....