TE450 on Road, will it damage the engine?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Phil_TE450, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Blackbeard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te450
    With my 16/40 gearing on 17's I'm at 6500 at 75mph and 5700rpms at 65, 16 is the biggest front that'll fit but I love the tall gearing, even with a 43 rear I felt like it was screaming. Now I can comfortably keep up with traffic
  2. Phil_TE450 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 DRZ250
    Did you have to adjust the chain at 16?

I'm keen on getting a 16 for commute and flick the 13 back on for when I hit the trails.
    Slider likes this.
  3. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Engine is probably ok, its the gearbox,it is not designed for heavy road use-there is no cush hub or cush clutch provision.
    Maybe a recluse could assist?
  4. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    If you are planning on riding the TE a lot on the road, l would suggest a set of motard rims or at least a rear as the proper motard/laced road rim will have a cush hub therefore saving your gearbox from blowing up.
    -
  5. Phil_TE450 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 DRZ250
    Not been on here for ages, just an update.

I replaced my front sprocket and found the previous owner had fitted a 12t so no wonder it felt short through the gears! I have since fitted a 14t and its wide enough for the 30 minute ride to work now. The sprocket change is super quick so I can swap it back out with the 12t in no time on the trail.

The only issue I now face still is overheating. My commute is rush hour in Sydney and there's a lot of stop and start with the bike sat at lights. The engine boils over if not moving because it needs air forced through the radiator. Im thinking of getting bigger radiators and maybe a switch fan I can turn on when its getting hot. Will be worth it regardless as when the Australian summer comes around, even on trail it boils over.
  6. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If it doesn't have a fan definitely put one on. Husky actually equipped most TEs with a fan from the factory so you can buy the parts easily.
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Engine Ice is an excellent coolant. Drain your existing coolant, make a 50/50 mix of deironised water and white vinegar and pour into the radiator, run the motor for 10 minutes and let it cool and drain away. I would then flush with the solution one more time. Get your air gun and put it at the radiator pouring spout and pad out with with a rag to make it close to airtight. Push the air through to drain residual flushing fluids out. The put in the engine ice. This process is the same should you choose another waterless coolant.