TE450 on Road, will it damage the engine?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Phil_TE450, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Phil_TE450 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 DRZ250
    Hi All,

First time on here so sorry if im posting in the wrong thread.

I have recently purchased a 07 TE450, I wanted a bike that I can commute in and out of work, about 20-30 mins, then shoot out to the national park or blue mountains from Sydney every 2/3 weeks.

I've read a lot that this bike is not to be ridden other than short 10 minute rides between trails. I am concerned I have bought the complete wrong bike.

Any help or advice here would be great as I dont want to damage the engine on city riding. I did ride it back from Cronulla, long ride for such a bike but going forward I would be looking at 45 min out to the national park for Trails once every few weeks.

Has anyone on here driven a 450TE on road regularly? Should I sell and buy another bike? I used to own a Suzuki DRZ250 which was fine, just wanted more power.

Finally, i am looking to insure the bike and there's two model options for the 2007 TE450 MY07 and MY05, my rego has no mention of which model my bike is, is there any way i can find this out?

Cheers
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    While I don't like wasting the TE 450's resources on the pavement if I can avoid it, I'm sure that my 07 TE 450 (that has close to 600 hours on it and over 11,000 miles) hasn't shown any noticeable strain from the many highway and freeway stretches it has had to endure in the last 9 years. Where I live there is a shortage of dirt trails and an abundance of pavement, so the bike has had more than its fair share of 55-70 mph extended cruising to find the next dirt segment.
  3. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Dude two threads same title. Come on!
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Hi Mate, great bikes with a bullet proof engine. The only draw back is that the bike is geared for enduro and trail riding not pavement. It would have been a world beater if they widened the 5th and 6th gears for road use. I would not do extended highway speed riding on the bike with off road gearing. Trailer it up to Clarence or get a bike hitch for the rear tow bar. You can change the sprocket ratios for road but that would impact your bush riding scope
  5. Phil_TE450 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 DRZ250
    Sorry about the 2 threads, as mentioned i am new and unfortunately realised i put it initially in the wrong place :|

Thats a huge relief, I am not planning on big motorway drives, mainly being back short trips and forth from work. The biggest stretch will be to get it to the trails, for the longer trips I think I will just shell out and rent a van to chuck it in the back.

Would have loved to see it having a wider 5th and 6th also, give it a slight more dual sport ability. Stock it's very much geared 90% to trail. Which is great once im on, just need to get it there. Also affording two bikes for commute and fun is difficult.

I am also having to fit a keyed ignition as stock it doesn't have one. Overall from the short time i have had it, i absolutely love it, i would just selfishly would have liked it to have some more features to suit dual sport and not pure off road. A key would have been a start :excuseme:.

In regards to my insurance issue, does anyone know the difference between a TE450 MY07 and MY05? I can't find a reference to it any where.
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Here's your base bike in the 2007 Super Moto world championships (the 450/510). threw this in to for the road question.
    If set up correctly like any top tier machine, it will do just fine. The chassis and engine on these Italian designed and built bikes are very robust, along with producing very competitive HP numbers. 07 was the last year of the round tube chassis.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtsMajIzU0E
    oneal likes this.
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

MY05 = model year 2005, MY07 = model year 2007. A 2007 came from the factory with a key ignition so it should be easy to replace unless the previous owner was a hack.
  8. Phil_TE450 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 DRZ250
    Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 2.02.34 pm.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 2.04.48 pm.png

It's weird as it gives two options both 2007. I assume i just go with the MY07 option.

Also the bike doesn't have an ignition from stock, i looked to see where one could have been to double check and there is nowhere. I am buying a universal ignition switch and getting an auto electrician to fit it. I would give it a go but electrics on the bike is my weak point.

Thinking about fitting a 15 tooth on the front to help with slightly higher speeds. Heading to this place at the weekend, looks epic: http://louee.net.au/

@Robertaccio, that video is awesome, thanks for sharing.
  9. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 was also fuel injected I recall the 06 was the last of the carby 450's
  10. Teeszy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM510R , 2016 FE501S
    I think the change occurred on model year 2008. 06 and 07 should both be carb'd
  11. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Correct 2007 was the last of the carbs on the TE.
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    07 has the big ol' 41 mm Keihin pumper carb on it.
  13. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    My 07 came straight off the showroom floor without an ignition key. 08 was the first year for that.
  14. Phil_TE450 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 DRZ250
    Yeah my 07 is carby and no ignition, the 08 came in with ignition and fuel injected. I am getting a auto electrician mate to fit an ignition key for security reasons and my own sanity if its ever parked outside at all. I've managed to get fire and theft insurance for $30AU a month so that helps also!

I broke my wrist about 6 weeks ago, second wrist break in two years, so I am giving it another month before hitting the track again.

Can.Not.Wait!
  15. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I stand corrected. FI or Carby, each a jolly good bike
  16. oneal Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 wr 250 returned home.
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 TE 450 2005 TE 450 1999 CR 125
    Just make things more confusing my 07 came with a keyed ignition switch, but mines also an E3 model so i dont know that compares with country's models.
  17. Blackbeard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te450
    You should have no problem at all, my 2005 te450 has street wheel set and dirt wheel set. I'm currently at around 6000 miles and over 200 hours on the street/ dirt no problem. Only thing on my street setup I have it geared 16/43 so I'm not redlining it on the freeways
  18. Phil_TE450 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 DRZ250
    Does any one know what the stock sprocket set up is for the 07 TE450?

Ive heard from one person 13/50 and someone else 14/50. I want to up the front sprocket to be a bit more comfortable cruising speed just don't know if i need a 14 or 15. I assume if I only go up one I will see a change for cruising without having to adjust the chain? That way I can just swap them over if im hitting trail or cruising.
  19. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Just buy both 14 and 15 of you have to lengthen your chain then slip a extra spilt link in and link.
    You should be fine to ride dirt with a tooth larger on the front. May have to stick her in first a bit more but the bike should take it.
  20. IBA guy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    16 FE350S
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 Roadglide 1937 Rudge
    Understood it is a different bike, but, see my post re my use of a '16 FE350S.. I'm guessing that a 450 will zero issues.