Tail Tidy Install Problems

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Blackx, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Blackx Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I spent way more time than I should have yesterday trying to get the R&G Tail Tidy to fit correctly. It's just not working.

As you can see in this photo I attached the brake light to the mount on the seat lock using the supplied bracket. The seat lock mount isn't adjustable since the lock has a tab that keeps it in place so the cylinder doesn't spin.

[IMG]

This is what the light looks like installed. Very crooked.

[IMG]

And the light doesn't even seat well in the provided cut out. This is the same mount at a different angle.

[IMG]

Then I mount the indicator lights and hold the tail tidy up to where it will mount on the bike and the lights are touching the exhaust.

[IMG]

Has anyone else had these problems? Am I doing something obviously wrong?
  2. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra

Not sure if you saw this post or not??? It appears to need some modification...
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/tr...der-eliminator-ideas.28894/page-3#post-287190
  3. bikehunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, bmw, moto guzzi
    It looks like you have the indicators bolted to the licence plate slots! The should be 4 bolt holes lower down
  4. bikehunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, bmw, moto guzzi
    I would also try to bend the bracket so the tail light is more central
  5. Abby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    We got one for my bike and Brother#1 tried to install it for an hour, got pissed off, and handed it over to Brother#2.
    Brother #2 tried to install it for 30 mins, got pissed off, and handed it over to Dad.

Dad looked at it for 5 minutes and said "This thing doesn't fit your bike. Send it back."
    Motosportz, nev.. and Bobzilla like this.
  6. Bobzilla Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Trek Madone
    Dads are always the smartest!
  7. Blackx Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Wow thanks. I had the hardest time figuring this out. The instructions are really bad. One problem solved.
  8. Blackx Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Yeah thought about that. Not really possible as it would have to bend side to side not up and down. I'm tempted to try and make this work somehow, although I feel out of the box a product should fit.
  9. Blackx Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Did you have any problems returning it?
  10. bikehunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, bmw, moto guzzi
    The problem now is if you return it, there's little else available to tidy up the rear of the bike.
  11. Abby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Actually, I don't think we're going to end up sending it back. The box is missing, and there's some parts all over the bench and I don't know what goes with the kit. There's the frame and the light brackets and the mini license plate light all hooked together.

Does anybody want it? I mean, the light doesn't line up at ALL and looks really bad, but if somebody wants it i'd send it out for like $50 plus shipping.

How about this, i'll go take some pictures of what's out there and report back in the morning.
  12. Blackx Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Yeah I might just try it again and see if I can make it work.
  13. Kawagumby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310, 2014 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, KDX220, 1987KDX200
    I installed the tail tidy on my Terra. The tail light bracket needs to be bent some to center the tail light. To keep it from rattling around I installed some dense foam self-adhesive strips between the edge of the light and the steel Tidy. For the amount of money it cost, I felt it was a second-rate design. There should have been some kind of rubber-edged plastic housing that attaches the stock tail light to the Tidy itself, or a different tail light that bolts to the rear. I didn't like the way the tail light finally fits either, too far into the ass'y IMO, which doesn't give enough visibility for other drivers to see. Just my take.
    Blackx likes this.
  14. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200 Sold, 2009 SuzukiGS500F Sold
    Someone needs to manufacture an alternative. If the Tail Tidy and and the stocker setups are not cutting it then there should be a huge market for an alternative. I'd buy it.
  15. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Thats, unfortunately, is really relative. I would call 'huge' the market for BMW GS's or KLR's... Its a niche bike with comparatively minor demand and new Husky owner made little to change it. Thats why we would probably not see many aftermarket parts. Unless the bike is continued next year.

Tail tidy works good for me with really small adjustments (drilling). Maybe I will add some additional mud flaps later on.
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    This does not have anything to do with the trail tidy per se, but some of the side rack manufacturers have a support bar in the back which supports the oem rack really well.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  17. Blackx Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I'm sure I can make it work, but agree that for the price the design could have been better.
    Scutler likes this.
  18. bikehunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, bmw, moto guzzi
    Once you get the bracket sorted and it all looks resonable, rack fitted etc you will be happier. Nothing worse than seeing things close up that's not good but the overall effect is everything!
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    here is how I "Fixed" mine :D

[IMG]
  20. scotty Husqvarna
    A Class

Abby

Stick with it, I fitted mine a few months ago its a real pita to fit
    but with some bending and a bit of patience it does fit and looks
    fine. I got my dealer to call R+G direct to warn them that they
    would have to alter their jig we were told I was the only one that
    had complained. I have fitted lots of R+G stuff to various bikes
    and never had a problem but they have got this one way wrong.

Scotty