SWM 650 -> The 630 returns!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Erik Italhusky, May 29, 2015.

1. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
  2. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    From all the pics/vids I can find on the SWM 650's, it looks like they do NOT have a rear cush hub. That is not good. The clutch design on this motor is a tremendous weak point the way it is. I want to see a parts catalog on the SWM 650's to see if there has been any upgrades made. Any bike with this motor needs a cush hub or a redesigned clutch, or the self destructing clutch cup washers will continue to be an issue. Come on SWM, don't let us down!
  3. mattc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    bmw, suzuki
    I picked up my swm yesterday. No cush hub. I'll see how it goes. I have to sort that gear lever first though. And go run it in / get it dirty...
  4. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    What's your locale Matt?

IMO the cush-hub thing was over rated, but some have said they got a knackered gearbox by 40K miles and that was why. I dunno. If you're doing a lot of pavement riding it might be worthwhile.

The clutch was mentioned too, and with the Indy washers installed I expect that basket to hold up for the life of the bike. Again, I dunno. LOL <shrug>
  5. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    My clutch housing and drive gear plate had knackered marks at less the 10K miles. Of course the clutch cup washers were knackered to, but thankfully still in 1 piece. So I am in the camp that this clutch design needs re-doing. Thankfully the g/f 630 clutch has less wear marks then mine did and is at the shop atm getting the Indy upgrade. I will be persistent with my riding buddy with his low mile TE 610 to get his upgraded Aussie washers put in his clutch. The stock washers are as thin as a piece of wet tissue, they are that bad imo. Ok, rant over.

mattc, or any other SWM 650 owner, can you do some detective work and find a part catalog and or repair manual for the bikes, and share it here on CH?
  6. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I went ahead with the cush hub and have been watching it closely. There isn't much movement because there is little space between the two hub pieces. If it moves a lot then it would show up when the two parts kiss. Not so far, but it is still new and the rubber inserts are still pretty much as new. Time will tell. For now I can't tell if it is doing anything or not.
  7. mattc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    bmw, suzuki
    I'm in queensland, australia. The aussie importer (mojo motorcycles) wont release a parts list because im too stupid to read it. Or some such reason. Best alternative so far http://www.husqyparts.com/en/model/2011/te_630 . I snipped an image out of that and set it to them for a quote, seemed to work out fine .
    Mojo claim the manual has not yet been translated into english. When i said italian was fine by me i got fobbed off. Oh well, something will work out.
  8. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    AJP has a adventure bike the PR7 that will have the TE630 engine in it coming out in the spring....
    LandofMotards likes this.
  9. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    With a cush hub they're all talking about ;)
  10. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
    I wonder if there might be a "Super Dual" conversion kit for existing 630 owners. Looks like if you want the gas tank you'll need the seat and body panels as well. Would end up costing way more than a Safari probably but still, could be nice.
  11. mattc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    bmw, suzuki
    Interesting. Husky TE630 front sprocket doesn't fit my SWM (assuming they sent me the right one). Output shaft is bigger. Gearbox ratios are different too (on published specs). One of the articles I read noted the gearbox and casings were being manufactured by Shineray with final assembly in Italy.
    Implication of this is some re-design has occurred. Perhaps the whole clutch / cush drive issue has been resolved? Threads here on CafeHusky imply there was always a fairly simple solution to the clutch damper. (heavier hardened spring cap better resisting loads and applying more preload to the damper springs. Presumably less 'hammering' resulting from that combo). From an engineering perspective, there may have been a reason why Husqvarna didn't do that.
    On the superdual conversion: Safari tank I think for the RS650. If you want a 19" front wheel, buy the Superdual. It's gotta be better than a KLR, surely?
  12. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Interesting. Any sign of improvements to the cam chain or the rear subframe, or other differences? You'd imagine that SWM would want to put the parts lists out there side-by-side with the old models and be transparent about changes, to win over Cagiva customers.
  13. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC

Not sure what you mean? I was asking if the tank from the Super Dual could work on the TE 630 as an alternative to the Safari.

Oh and congrats on your new bike.
  14. mattc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    bmw, suzuki
    I've heard claims the s-d parts will fit rs. Might be wishful thinking. I guess I meant a steel tank is really a back road bike option for a bike like a klr or vstrom not a dual sport that gets dropped. On the alternative parts source for husky owner my guess is swm really won't be that interested. They need to sell bikes and build their brand / make profit. Parts have low margins compared to the supply chain overhead.
  15. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Nuda 900R & SM630
    it should fit according to some people I spoke at from SWM
  16. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Nuda 900R & SM630
    Actually that is 100% correct. SD parts will fit the RS!
  17. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I sent an email off to SWM a couple of days ago, they replied today with this: " SWM will be ready for the USA market from June 2016."

:cheers:
  18. capt42104 Husqvarna
    AA Class

19. Mikedefieslife Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW xCountry
    I've left a few messages with UK dealers. In the meantime I've been searching around. Oddly in all the videos I've not seen the SWM start first time on the button. Always seems to take a good few cranks before firing up. Is that typical of the 630?

I'm also wondering what the power output of the RS650R is. Is it going to be crippled from the factory and require a PU unit, or will it be full power from the start?

Prices are looking like £5700 plus registration and tax. Not bad, but I was expecting a few hundred lower, or perhaps an extra or two thrown in.
  20. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Yes, they crank a bit. Cold start/idle boost lever is activated.
    If they've been tweaked with a tuner they start easier and run much better. They were all set up too lean from the factory in order to meet emmission standards. They didn't have the VW protocal in affect at that time. :lol: