Suspension Setup recommendations.

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Vinduro, Mar 16, 2011.

1. RailwayRog Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Alright I figured it out on my own, I need a heavier spring.
  2. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Your stock valve looks exactly like my 50 open Zokes valves. Very nice new ones and glad to know it made a nice difference fot you. Im my 50's their is another "mid" valve that also looks the same. Id bet it would make another difference replacing that with the new one too.
  3. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    I would bet you will need heavier fork springs as well. Do the same measurments with the forks as you did with the shock. youll need to get the proper rider sag without having too little static sag. Some changes in preload will probably be in order along with a spring change.
  4. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Jason,

You just do the compression valve, then Ian sets you up with a new shim stack for it. Then on your mid or rebound, you get a shim stack set up for that as well. The springs are set due to rider weight and where you want your sag.
  5. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Based on this fork sag, I went to order softer springs from Race Tech. The stock is .45kg and I thought Id start with .42kg. Race Tech told me I had the right spring for my weight (.45kg) and should not soften up the fork springs. I told them my sag numbers and they kept refering to their chart which puts me at .45s. What do ya think? Doesn't real life sag numbers tell the real deal rather than their chart? What would you do? I ordered the .42s.
  6. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Jason,
    In my experience, Race Tech's spring recommendations have ALWAYS been on the stiff side. Your numbers indicate a stiff spring and it seems that's how you feel the bike is working. Try really hard to get your fronts tested, then go down from there. I'm hearing that these Zoke springs are not always as advertised.
    JasonfromMN and Vinduro like this.
  7. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Thanks for your input. These sag numbers are on the 11 TE model with the KYB. Still seems theirs been variances with race techs recomnendations?
  8. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You are looking for 40-42mm static and 75mm rider sag. Sag numbers do tell the tale. MX / SX bikes may need a bit less fork sag. But not 52mm rider sag.
    Go to 102-103mm rider sag in rear. Your static will still be good.
    JasonfromMN likes this.
  9. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    I was replacing my reeds the night, and ended stripping the bike down to do some clean up. Got messing with shock compression adjuster to see where it was. I have never touched them since having it serviced. I was kinda surprised to find it two clicks from all the way in (to the +). I need to put it all back together and check the static and rider sag.

Two clicks in from max on the compression, does that seem extreme? Are there not like 30 positions on the clicker.
  10. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    2 clicks in from the + stop is "harsher" or "slower" part or your range.
  11. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Well finally got around to testing new sag #'s.

-This is where I need to be-
    Forks- 40- 42 mm static
    75mm rider sag.
    300mm travel.
    Shock - 32mm static
    105mm rider
    296mm travel

-This is where I was at-
    Rear
    Rider sag- 104mm
    Static- 34mm
    Front(.45 kg)
    Rider- 52mm
    Static- 32mm

-This is where I am now-
    Shock (no change except from piston to bladder)
    Rider 104mm
    Static 36mm
    Forks(.42 kg and removed 2 face shims)
    Rider 62mm
    Static 41mm

Seems to me I need to go softer yet to .40 kg and add a little preload? I did a very short ride, impressions are that it feels very good but I did notice a little more fork dive. If I go to the .40 kg I'm afraid I'll get more fork dive but the rider numbers say I'm still too stiff?
  12. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes, Go to a .40. Recheck and see if you need more preload. Static sag should be in the area that it is currently. Rise your oil level to max. Be sure to be running a light fork oil. I use 5wt Maxima RFF. On the light side of a 5wt fork oil. OR go to PJ1 2.5wt.
  13. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You want the fork to dive some going into corners. Just not bottoming out when you do. You want the front and back to "SETTLE" into the corner so you can turn sharper.
  14. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Dwight,

The 2008 and earlier bikes have shock travel longer by approx. 1" (25mm). Do you still recommend the same 11% static & 34% rider sag rules for these earlier bikes? Let me know what you think.

Here are the calculated sags:
    On 2008 CR/WR125: Rear travel = 320mm
    35mm static sag (11%), 109mm rider sag (34%)

On 2009+ CR/WR125: Rear travel = 296mm
    32mm static sag (11%), 101mm rider sag (34%)
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Man my head hurts after just reading all 6 pages of this. This is over my head but I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help others out; great thread. Now can anybody guess as to what spings I need front and rear on my 08 CR125. I weigh in at 200lbs :eek:. I think I'm gonna contact the guys in Canada on their parts as long as they will install them. Thanks.
  16. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    John,

Ian will install them @ Riders Edge. He will also do your preload on forks, valving and correct spring rate.

He's does shocks rear shocks as well and you are probably 5.6 ish on 08 125.

Best thing I ever did to get the Zokes to work like other top forks.
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Cool thanks. I think I'll give them a call on Monday since I'm waiting on my WB165 exhaust.
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I finally got the rest of my "stuff" and got my WR250 resto. with Ian's base valves finished. All I can say is those valves do what they were claimed to. The bike is a real pleasure to ride now.This is the third day that
    I have been riding in Eastern OR. I originally planned to return last night, but the bike is so much fun.
    More later.

19. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Awesome! Glad they worked out good, plus you did it yourself!
  20. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    I rechecked my sag numbers with all my gear on, I think im supposed to do that with all gear on and the last numbers on the forks were without moto gear.

With the addition of ride gear-

fork rider sag 68mm
    fork static sag still 41mm.

Ive had 2 good rides with these new springs.(.42) My impressions are thats its much better. I did bottom lightly on a couple jumps that are the biggest id do.

Is 68mm close enough considering the bottoming or should I still go to the .40kg? The bottoming happened with stock recomendations on clickers.

Thanks for all your help.