Supermoto/motard wheels for TE511

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by stevedibbles, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Try the "Speedohealer". I think they are made by "Healtech" or something like that. They have a bunch of specific models for all kinds of road bikes and do conversions. I imagine they have a model that will work to correct your wheel circumference changes. There's one thats specific I believe that was originally for one of the Ducati's that came without ABS that guys use to correct the speedometer on Motard modded BMW G450Xs. Oddly the G450X runs the speed sensor off the rear wheel.
    Imagine that, in the dirt with lots of wheel spin.
  2. SDPUTTER Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511
    I have the fixed rotor and no hole. My wife has a bunch of little high strength magnets and I epoxied one on the rotor and it seems to work, but is off like Huskylove's. Guess somebody needs to do the Calc.'s to find out where to drill/tap the bracket for correct speedo read in sumo trim:confused:.

BTW - my Warp9's came with the front hub seals on the wrong sides. One was stubborn coming out and I think I was lucky that I did not screw it up. I would hope they would send you replacements free if you screwed them up.
  3. SDPUTTER Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511
    That's to make the BMW guys think they're faster:lol:
    Big Timmy likes this.
  4. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It is a stupid idea on a dirt bike! I never look down to see the speedo anyway, too many years on dirt bikes that never had such things.

The only time I knew how fast I was supposedly (alledgedly) going when I was a bit younger riding my old Maico's was when the cops caught me riding home on the streets from the local trail spots and they lied about it. I once had a nice officer decide he needed to disarm me by taking my folding hunter knife out of its case and he through it up on the hood of his car and put me in handcuffs when I was about 16. The knive slid up across the hood and down into the gap between the hood and windshield wipers. When he popped the hood to retrieve the knife the knife got pinched and broke his entire windshield. I couldn't help but start laughing. The charges and speed went up exponentially. I think he said I was doing 80+ on my Maico 400 radial when he was chasing me and I had just pulled over for him.
    SDPUTTER likes this.
  5. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Come on now your bashing my profession. You probably were doing 80 on that thing but everyone probably does it from time to time lol. We're only human...
    Big Timmy likes this.
  6. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not bashing your profession at all. It was just a funny story.
    My Dad was a Reserve Captain and Instructor/Training officer for the Contra Costa County Sherrifs office for about 25 years. He had 4 Masters Degrees, one was in Secondary education. No longer given in CA. So he could instruct or teach any subject at any level all the way up to University level. He worked many weekends at the shooting range and so on. He also did Training for San Pablo Police Dept. etc. This was long before many of these small/now large towns had there own City Police depts. They contracted through the Sherrifs offices for these training services.

I should have known better and I did. Thats why I pulled over. I lived and grew up in Alameda County as a young kid.
  7. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Big Timmy I was giving you a bad time, after 25 years I don't get offended often anymore. Your pops sounds like a stud, 4 masters...wow I don't have one lol. I grew up in Los Angeles, Glendale, north Hollywood, Burbank area and as a kid I could tell ya we rode our dirt bikes all over the streets etc...back then ya got a good verbal thrashing and had to push our bikes home, it's not like that anymore...
  8. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    No offense taken whatsoever. I'm just used to explaining things.
  9. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I am on the opposite end.... 2 reckless driving conviction and several speeding tickets, until I bought my first supermoto. Then all the tickets and crap stopped.

Now I get waved at by chp moto's and everythings all sunshine and roses 3 years no tickets or pull overs now.

I tell you what, 16-21 was rough if you had a fast, loud, car. I hated police, now I understand and just wave :).

I am in alameda county also by the way.
  10. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I roamed the streets of Castro Valley through Livermore and out to Stockton with my tubbed and caged 70' Challenger running a 426 Hemi built by S&S Automotive, on Washington Ave. in San Leandro. That was back in about 82'-88'

The Father, George, sons Dave and Rick built it for me. It ran well for a street legal car.

All the cops just wanted to pull me over to see if it really had a Hemi like it said on the emblems on the T/A six pack hood I ran back than. Then they would usually just let me go. Even with hand grooved Slicks.

The street driven 66' Belvedere I have now is even more nuts and the local cops here just look and wave.
  11. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Sounds like a blast. I had a 69.5 Ford maverick with a 302, svo heads, single plane, svo cam, 5 speed, 4.11s with a locker, no interior just a cage. 12" slicks. It weighed 2400 lbs but only put down 320 to the wheels. Was fun, but had to sell it. Was just way too much for oakland/Emeryville area.
  12. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    My Aluminum 572"Indy Maxx Hemi now in the 70' Challenger runs in the mid 8s. at about 165 with a 4.10 Dana. Mild Steel full tube chassis.

My 66' Belvedere runs a pump gas 543" indy headed Mancini Stroker. Runs a 4.30 geared Aluminum Strange 9". Is a 4130 tube chassis. It will never go down a dragstrip. Both cars run J.W. Torqueflites with reverse valvebodies and transbrakes with 9" convertors. They are both 4 Link cars.

The Challenger has won me alot of Money over the years. The Belvedere is a Bad boys cruiser, I have to be a Good boy, now I'm reformed.

Attached Files:

flyingbob, SDPUTTER and Teambowles like this.
  13. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Jesus. You went a bit overkill or a cruiser :).

I thought mine was a pain to drive on the street.....
  14. 12NengPSG Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    *FYI* - Lock tite your caliper bracket bolts. After mounting my Warp 9 wheels and test riding down the street I thought I was good to go. On my way to work this morning...at about 70 MPH my front caliper fell off. I am incredibly lucky that all it cost me was a scar on the caliper mounting bracket and brake line, a speedo cable, right fork guard, and a couple of mounting bolts that are obviously gone. HOLY SHIT that was scary!
  15. La Flama Blanca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 kawasaki kx250f
    Toytech has had my bike for 3 days now trying to get these rims fitted. They cannot get either rim to line up correctly. Apparently there is a lot of rotor drag inside of the caliper and they are worried with the heat expansion that it could be dangerous. They have tried various shims/spacers and nothing is working. A little upset about it but I know its not the shops fault. Just talked to Scott out there and he is having issues getting a hold of Warp9. Its been over 3 months since I had ordered these rims, just finally got around to getting everything together. He seems hopeful to get everything taken care correctly. Has anyone ever experienced this much trouble? :(
  16. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Hey man you need to go down there and look.

Mine was rubbing the rotor on the caliper hanger slide bracket on the swingarm.....you need to go to a orchard supply and hardware and purchase machine bushings, which are basically 1mm thick washers with large I.D's. Put one toward the inside of the hub outside of the spacer. So like this> Hub >spacer that fits inside seal/bearing > machine bushing/large 1mm thick washer > caliper bracket > swingarm.

It will feel like rotor drag but it is probably the rotor rubbing the bracket on the swinger. Also you can grind down that bracket on the swingarm a bit to make more clearance.

Even after that you will get quite a bit of rotor drag because the warp 9 rotors are new and thick/rough surface, it will subside. Also the new bearings are kind of tight but will be normal with some use.

If they need some help just have them call me I am sure I can help as mine needed a bit of fun to make it work.

Mine required > 1mm rear shim in the above placement. Grinding of the swingarm bracket slightly.

Front went on well, but got very loose after one ride, and had side to side play. This is because the axle threads bottom out and cannot tighten enough to put preload on the bearings. Another 1mm thick "Machine bushing"/washer cured the problem.....

300 miles later and all good.

You think this is bad? EVERY SINGLE TIME I HAVE EVER TRIED TO CONVERT A DIRTBIKE TO SUPERMOTO THESE ARE NORMAL ISSUES.

Hell, most of the time I have to practically relace the wheels to get them to work right.

East coast wheels used to be the best for me. Bastard kawasaki hub on a xr600r with badass spokes and rims almost fit but came with everything but axles!

The only time I had a bolt on set of wheels, was marchisini's that I purchased used from derrick on SMJ for my old 510 husky. True bolt on!
  17. La Flama Blanca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 kawasaki kx250f
    finally after 4 days it has been figured out. Props to Toytech for taking care of this issue first hand for me. I appreciate all of the help and knowledge here as well. Going to pick the bike up tomorrow morning after work.
  18. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    YAY supermoto fun time :)
    La Flama Blanca likes this.
  19. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511

Using Trailtech Vapor model. Let's me change for wheel size. I run Warp9 on street and my dirt wheels in the desert. Works great.
    12NengPSG likes this.
  20. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    I think its the tire and tube plus wheels that makes them seem heavy. Try running just the wheels without rubber for weight saving delight.
    12NengPSG likes this.