1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Somebody help! 2008 TC 510 is driving me crazy

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Paul S, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Harley Davidson Fatboy
    I have the manual that came with the bike, it refers to the TC, TE, and TXC. It clearly states in the manual that the TE and TXC have both auto Decomp and manual. The 2008 TC 510 only has a manual decomp. The manual has seperate instructions on how to start the TC with manual decomp and TE/TXC with auto decomp and manual decomp. At the dealership in Mitchel Ontario Canada that sold me the bike new, the owner Scott Rocher took me aside and explained that the bike only has manual decomp and he showed me the steps to start the bike. It has been very reliable and easy starting until now.
  2. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    I replaced the idle jet with a new one and it still has difficult starting. I managed to get it going after about 60 kicks, and i'm not exagerating, I could barely get out of bed this morning. I rode it up and down the street several times and shut it down. I went to restart it and it wouldn't so I gave up for the evening.
  3. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    I will describe what I tried to start the bike yesyerday, maybe someone will know what is going on.

- opened fuel petcock, pulled out choke, kicked motor over at least 10 times, not even a pop. twisted throttle a few times and after 5 kicks the motor backfired once but afterwards nothing, not even a pop.
    -I shut off the fuel petcock and pushed the choke back in, kicked the motor over and it popped as if it wants to start. I continue to kick and she wants to start but doesn't. I open the fuel petcock again but this time no choke, she wants to start and sounds better than before, but won't start and the popping stops. I shut the fuel off again and she starts to pop as if trying to start. I continue to kick with no luck. I turn the fuel on again and she wants to start but won't. I shut the fuel once again and she starts and without the choke. I have to slightly twist the throttle to keep it going and at the same time I open the fuel petcock. Once warmed up I can let go of the throttle. I take the bike up and down the street a few times, shut the motor down, kick it to start and it won't start again. At this point I give up for the evening. Could it be possible that the stator just doesn't produce enough juice when I'm kicking, but is fine when the motor is running? Because the bike runs strong once it starts and I could ride it all day but you wouldn't want to stall it somewhere deep in the woods.
  4. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    After 15 kicks, I would quickly pull the plug and it should be wet with gas, if it's not, it's not getting fuel.

To check the spark, duct tape the plug to the head and crank it over, the spark should be fat and blue.

268fords likes this.
  5. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    I personally checked the valves today and they are all within spec. The spark plug was black when I pulled it out before checking the valves. I placed a clean plug in and kicked it over 10 times; pulled the plug and it was wet. I continued to kick without the choke and the bike gave out a load backfire. The neighbours have company so I packed up for the day.
  6. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    I checked the valves on the weekend and yes I do have that doohickey on the camshaft. Is that auto-decompression? If it is, it hasn't worked since day one; I always have to pull the manual lever to get it passed TDC. What fails on it, can you tell by looking at it if it needs replacing?
  7. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Was stated earlier. Good luck
  8. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
  9. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    We took the valve cover off again and there is an auto-decompression mechanism on the cam as in your photo, and it is showing obvious signs of wear. Unfortunately we are having trouble locating one for the '08 TC 510. One supplier has one for a TE 510 (different part Number), I live in Canada, so order something and having to return it to the USA if it doesn't fit is always a headache. Please let me know if anyone knows of one available.
  10. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    We finally got a new decomp mechanism installed. The bike started right up in a few kicks after not running for a few months. Started it again the next day in 3 kicks. Went to start it today and will not start. Here we go again, one day it starts right away, and the next day you can kick it till the sun goes down and she won't start. Where to go from here?
  11. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    We took the cdi and coil from another 2008 Husky that runs and it still won't start. The only thing we haven't checked is the stator. There is spark, but could it be possible that it isn't sparking at the right moment? Could the stator be giving too weak of a spark and if things aren't perfect it won't start? But once it starts, it will run without issues until I shut it off; then it may not start for weeks of trying.
  12. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Have you had the carb bowl off, and inspected the jets? Pic below is a friend's 450 Beta, the entire emulsion tube with the main jet was loose and resulted in very rich running, hard to start, backfires, etc

[IMG]
  13. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, the floats checked, jets checked, carb cleaned.