1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Somebody help! 2008 TC 510 is driving me crazy

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Paul S, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Harley Davidson Fatboy
    My 2008 Husqvarna TC 510 motocross bike has been having difficulty starting. After 50 kicks I give up. I put it back in the garage and the next day it starts right up. It occassionally back fires or kicks back when I'm trying to kick it over. Once it's running it keeps on running. It's only inconsistant when I'm starting it, warm or cold.The carb has been cleaned, spark plug and wire changed, fuel cap vent checked, valves checked, leak down test, ground wire checked.
    ·
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    How long have you had the bike? Lots of modern 4 strokes seem to have a method or routine they like hot or cold. Some like a few whacks of the throttle cold (lots of fuel), some that is a big no no. Some like a choke some don't. Does your bike need the choke to start? Will it die if you turn the choke off right away after getting it running? If so it is lean and likes fuel and a few whacks of the throttle before kicking might help. If not it might be on the rich side and like zero choke and throttle as in keep your hand off the throttle while kicking. Got to find out what she likes and stick with it. Some bikes like to be laid over until gas drips out then start way EZer. I found that generation of bike 04-11 450-510 can be very hard starting machines. I had a 04 TE450 that I could almost not start with the kicker luckily it had a e-start that never failed. Seems these bikes sometimes like you to very slightly crack the throttle while kicking.
    268fords and Shawbridgehusky like this.
  3. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've owned it since new. When new it started easily in a few kicks, and it did need a few blips of the throttle and choke. Because of it kicking back, I stopped giving it any gas, but I still choke it. It behaves like it's flooded. When I shut off the fuel supply and let it sit for a few hours, it may start in a few kicks. The next day I will turn on the fuel supply, choke it and after 50 kicks I give up. I'll pay attention to what I do to see what works and what doesn't.
  4. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    It is almost impossible to start it sitting on the bike; you need to have it on a stand or have someone hold it up in order to get a good kick.
  5. Xriderdown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR360 SW / WR360 IT / FE501 AU
    Other Motorcycles:
    BUL MK3,KAW KE100,CZ 988-1,YAM FZ1
    Your auto-decompressor actuator is warn out. Replace it and life will be good.
    robertaccio and Motosportz like this.
  6. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    It doesn't have one, it's manually operated on the handle bar.
    robertaccio likes this.
  7. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Replace the idle jet, over time, it will develop a layer of varnish and reduce the jet size considerably.
  8. Xriderdown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You might want to research that. I'm pretty sure all 510 models have the auto-decompression as well as the manual release. In my experience( have replace 3 on my 05) the bike started up perfectly after each replacement.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The decomp sounds very possible.
  10. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    When I picked up the bike new from the dealer I was shown how to start it. It was a matter of finding tdc, pull the leaver and just nudge it past tdc and give it a kick. It would start right up. My friend has the TC450 with both auto and manual, for some reason mine only has manual.
  11. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    if all the above is covered=- float height
  12. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    I found the adjusting screw at the bottom of the carb open 1.5 turns which is correct for the 250. I opened it 2 turns which is correct for a 510 and the bike started right up. I don't know if it's one of those days where she just wants to start. I'll see if it starts tomorrow.
    Motosportz likes this.
  13. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Today I repeated what brought me success in starting the TC510 yesterday but today she wouldn't start at all. Back to square one.
  14. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    The 2008 TC 510 only has the manual decompressor; but could it also be causing my starting problem. What goes wrong with the decompressor that causes the starting problem? It functions as it should, it allows me to pass TDC to kick it over. I find that it may have less compression when I kick it over; could that be a sign of the decompressor acting up? I'm reaching the point where I feel like just piecing the bike out.
  15. Xriderdown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I hear you.....this is crazy. I can't confirm whether or not the bike came with one. However I just can't believe it doesn't have one.

So have you popped open the valve cover and looked for a little doohickey that looks like this on the right side of the camshaft? If your bike doesn't have one of these, the chances of starting it are overwhelmingly against you. There's just no way you'll get the proper spin out of that high compression motor in order to fire it up. If you do have that doohickey, replace it.

image.jpg
  16. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    The 2009 TE 450/510 have it, not the 2008 TC 510's, just manual.
  17. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    Have you done this Paul ↓ ?

18. Paul S Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC 510, 2008 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not yet, that's my next step.
  19. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

pretty sure your tc has an auto decomp device on the exhaust cam as has been mentioned, and I think it should be looked at .what wears is the nub on the bottom.i think xriderdown is on to something here.dan
    268fords likes this.
  20. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

Another thing to look at is the condition of your intake manifold. does it show visible signs of cracking?dan
    268fords likes this.