SMR 449/511 - Model Specific upgrades and modifications

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by Caiman, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    How do you rate your Suter Caiman? Install and function?
    I am looking at a slipper for my next upgrade just tossing up between the Suter and an STM.
  2. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  3. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Smooth, nothing like going from 4th to first with zero clutch feathering, just dump the fcker and the rear wheel glides along, no hopping. I have a few issues which may or not be clutch related (nothing major, just niggles), but I haven't got access to a bike without a slipper clutch to test.

As to STM or Suter, get whichever's cheaper/easier to get a hold of, these days they're much of a muchness.
  4. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
  5. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 and Hypermotard 1100

No lockwire?
  6. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I wasn't actually sure what it fit, I figured you would sort it out. :D
  7. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
  8. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Instead of spending $100 on a lever, I 1000% recommend saving up for an RCS 15 M/C w- short lever. Once you've tried one, the OEM master will always feel like a let down. I've converted several mates onto them and there's zero complaints from any of them, both on supermoto (RCS15) and sports bikes (RCS19).
  9. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Negative, haven't raced since my little aerial escapade last year... might get pre-drilled SS pro-bolts if I sort these fork lugs out.
  10. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    Can you get RCS15s with mirror mounts? Is a custom brakeline needed?
  11. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    The angle of the banjo fitting at the master is different so a new line is necessary ($72ish delivered from HEL), and yes you can buy (bit exxy for what it is) mirror mounts for the RCS masters. I run bar mount mirrors so this didn't bother me.
  12. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    A chap I used to have supermoto-trips with installed a radial MC on his 610 without replacing the line: he used an adapter like this (this one in the photo is for twin calipers brakes, but there are adapters for single caliper systems, too):
    [IMG]
    The price is about 10 or 15 € here, exluding the hydrostop.
  13. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

This is how well my Suter did after 40hr on the track. I called them and they said that could be normal?!?!?!? but they did send me a new spring. I'm a bit reluctant to put it back in next season for supermoto because had I not caught it those spring pieces would have made their way into my engine. Pretty expensive clutch to just grenade like that.

Photo Oct 26, 3 34 13 PM.jpg Photo Oct 26, 3 36 53 PM.jpg
  14. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    That's not good, 90h of mixed use on mine, might have to give it a look over. Getting the main nut off that sporting will be a pain, red loctite sucks!
  15. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 and Hypermotard 1100
    That makes me nervous... guess i better use my winter brake for having a look at that!
  16. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yeah, I was told they went back through and double checked their design and fatigue life on the spring to be sure it wasn't a defect. When originally installing it I also had an issue with the outer plate for the throw out bearing being mis-machined and they had to send me a new one of those as well. Last year they were the only company with a slipper for these bikes so my hands were tired. Either run a Suter on no slipper at all. Fingers crossed no issues in the future. I did not run the clutch in my ice bike in fear of putting to many hour on delicate clutch.

Caiman a battery powered impact gun works wonders for removing that nut. They want red loctite on everything when putting that in.
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    How is that clutch going to hold up when you start boosting the torque and hp?
  18. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No idea...... Might have to go to a heavier spring but that begins to defeat the purpose of the slipper then if the spring is so heavy it does not slip much. I'm really hoping it was a material defect or a fluke.. Suter is known to have good products but I don't think there are many of these clutches in use to know if it was just mine or all of them.
  19. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    The STM seems to be about $300-400 more but I'm told they are more fiddley to adjust and need a special tool that costs extra.
  20. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    More info on this?

Removing one butterfly will promote better flow right?