SM610 Side stand snapped

Discussion in '610/630' started by Spice Weasel, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    My side stand snapped today. It broke where the tube is welded to the pivot.
    The bike fell onto rough asphalt, just a few scratches on my hand guard.
    The tube is really thin walled.
    Im going to get some thicker walled tube and try and make my own stand using the original pivot.
  2. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I ground the weld away from where the tube joined the pivot and found the pivot had fractured downwards from the from the corner of the outer leg aswell.
    It was fractured all the way through the bottom and the faces of the fracture were rusty. The only thing holding it together was the ring of weld.
    I couldnt make another pivot so i just welded it back together nice and strong.
    Crap side stand :thumbsdown:
  3. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    While your welding it up, weld a 1/2" or 9/16" washer to the bottom of the kickstand. It helps tremendously with the stability of the stand.
  4. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I made a small sleeve and used it with a cap head bolt for the pivot to get rid of the annoying auto lifting. I also shimmed the pivot to get rid of the ridiculous amount of play. My stand will not break and the bike is more stable on it.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  5. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sidestands were designed to hold only the bike. not bike and rider.
  6. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

I agree. I know there are those that feel like they should be able to hold up to a "step up on and over" approach, but I've always felt that that's unreasonable expectation (just way too much load/leveraging going on.)
  7. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Ive had quite a few bikes and never snapped or even bent a side stand.Ive done nothing to this bike that i havent done to any other.
    I expect any side stand to be able to take the full weight of the bike on its own, I have no doubt my side stand will now.
    The OEM side stand is poxxy.
  8. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I'm surprised I've not snapped my stock stand. On past bikes I've never hesitated to pull the bike over onto the side stand to lift the back wheel, so did it w/ the 630 a few times early on...until I started seeing posts about failing side stands. I've also got play between the mounting fork and frame plate, but that's to be expected and easily remedied.
  9. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin