TE 630 Sidestand Mod Complete!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Kenneth Webb, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Sidestand 3 005.JPG Sidestand 3 007.JPG Sidestand 3 011.JPG Sidestand 3 013.JPG 'Finally finished my modified 610 stand and mounted it on my 630. I probably have a day in it and it wasn't too difficult. Started out with the 610 stand and springs (different size than the 630 because of the attachment point on the 610 stand. Had to tap the back side of the lug to accept a 10 mm bolt, cut brace pieces from 4130 steel, sleeve and lengthen the stand and make a new, larger foot. It is now strong enough to stand on the peg when mounting the bike (at least so far!) and the angle to the bike and the ground is much improved. Oh yes, a "stop" had to be cut and welded to the back side of the foot peg plate. It gives a positive, and strong, stopping point for the stand when down. The stand also clears the centerstand, and does not hit the ground when swinging it down. I'm happy!

Sorry for the pics being out of order; had issues getting them posted.

Sidestand 3 001.JPG Sidestand 3 004.JPG
  2. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

the foot wont saw into the side of the swing arm will it?dan
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not even close. It's well clear of the swing arm. This pic is early in the process and shows the clearance. The arm looks like it will hit the centerstand but in fact it is above that and as it swings down it clears everything easily.

New Years 2011 Various 044.JPG
  4. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Looks good Ken! I see you got your suspension back on, how does it feel now? Ready for a ride this weekend?
  5. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    It feels very different! Springs lightened, compression adjuster on the forks, touch bleeders, etc. So far I'm just searching for the roughest parts of the road and the nasty RR crossings, but I can say that LTR took the harshness out of the setup at the least. 'Just finished putting on my Uptite skid plate, and I'll be picking up a Garmin 276c from a buddy who just upgraded.

My weekend is too tight to get away long enough to head up to the NF, plus I'm behind on some remodeling plans for a friend, but let's keep trying! Did you order the iBeat yet?
  6. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes it shipped yesterday so should have it Mon or Tues. I'll call you for a tech night when it arrives. Please save all your spares from fabbing the sidestand. Will look at yours in person and I might want to copy it for my bike so will buy leftovers from you. For now plenty of trees in the forest to lean my bike against but planning on some desert riding this year so that will no longer be an option. Stock stand is practically useless in the dirt unless you carry a crushed beer can in your pocket.

I thought I was done buying things for the bike for awhile but just this week ordered Rox risers, Pivot Pegz, iBeat and Cigar Mike center stand. Next up will be your sidestand mod?, LED driving lights, extra fuel capacity, JD Tuner? steering damper, the list never ends I guess.

_
  7. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, that's the way it goes; I have nearly the same list! The left-overs are here (enough for several), and if you do the stand I'll give you a hand.
  8. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    You sell it........I'll buy one! Great work dude!
  9. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    My fabricator is thinking about making some of these if there is enough interest, but it would depend on how many folks were interested. There is economy in quantity. Also, the stand could be even better because some of the little issues with the top lug could be resolved if made from scratch. I have no idea what they would cost, but as far as I was concerned almost any price was worth it to get a good useable side stand. I bet Cigar Mike could whip these out in no time flat.

My next project is a tail rack, billet aluminum, similar to those made by Promoto Billet. I'll contact them to see if they are interested, but with only a couple of years production for the 630 they are probably not going to be interested. If not, it's down to a local CNC machinist. Any readers out there in the business? I should have a CAD drawing of it today and if I can get it into JPG format I will post.
  10. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

PMB already make a rack for the 610 - I am sure to modify it for the 630 can not be too difficult for them. The other option would be to approach 2WheelCentral that also make billet racks and have a very nice one for the smaller KTM's that could work quite easily on the 630.
    huskyrack.jpg ktm_rack_side.gif
  11. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I would suspect if the price was reasonable every TE owner would buy one. I can't imagine anyone happy with the stock stand. It fails on almost every level.

If your fabricator would build it then the $100 stock 610 stand would no longer be required as a starting point correct? That would help keep the cost down. If he could give a budgetary selling price we could start a pre-sale commit list here.

_

_

_
  12. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I looked at their rack, but the 610 attachment is different, and I also wanted something a little wider and shaped to fit the fender, etc. I have a drawing done for a rack that wraps around the seat and is as long as the Wolfman racks. That way a duffel will sit right over the saddle bags. If I can remember how to get my drawing "out" I will put it up. I don't know if I've been retired too long to remember all of my Autocad, or if Alzheimers is setting in......
  13. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    My thoughts exactly. The most difficult thing on this end is getting the top lug machined and drilled, and that would be a piece of cake for any machine shop with a milling machine. I will work on this and see what can be done. I will take a few better pics and start a new thread to see how much interest there is.
  14. twolane Husqvarna
    A Class

You can add me to the list as well. My side stand is in pretty sorry shape at this point. I was actually thinking about hitting the dealer up for a warranty replacement.
  15. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Another alternative is to look at the PMB sidestands - I bet one could get one of them to work and just eliminate the existing design. Could probably use the existing frame tang as one of the mounting points? Just a thought.
  16. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I glanced at those, but didn't look into it more than that; someone should. What I have done is fabricate a steel stop welded to the footpeg bracket and it makes a strong brace for the stand when it is down. If I make more, there will be a separate plate sandwiched between the footpeg bracket and the frame to eliminate any welding. Just bolt it up.
  17. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

In addition tothe PMB one there are others as well = Trailtech, MSR, Moose Racing etc. It is really just to find one that would work virtually off the shelf...
  18. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I'm interested in a side stand.
  19. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    Like I said.........Put me down for one, I'm totally IN! You tell me when to send payment and it will be there!! I'm fed up with the stock stand.
  20. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    You are in Huskyfly; listed on other post. Everyone be patient while names are collected and I work on things on my end.
    Huskyfly likes this.