Round two of the "other" carb types - Lectron

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Motosportz, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

They fit great and work great. Been testing it for a while. You can see how far it is cut down here. I asked for several mods including the right side bowl breather tube to exit up instead of out to avoid the pipe. This is tested and ready to go and fits / works great. there is some upcharge because of all the machining on the carb.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    454x likes this.
  2. Rick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 GasGas EC 200 , 05 YZ 125
    Kelly,

What is the overall measurement of this carb?
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Kelly,

Did you test it on a YZ 125 or a Husky?
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I have it on my husky 125 right now. Kevin put it on a YZ125.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes
  6. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just one quick note on how a cut-down 38 works on my YZ250
    HOLY CRAP - they're not kidding
    I just bolted it on (the longer throttle cable is necessary on YZ's) - pulled the choke - kicked it twice and ......
    She idles like a kitten - pulls from maybe 1000 rpm lower - is smoooooooth thru the mid (so smooth is seems a little less pipey) - and then over-revs by maybe 1000 rpm more. (I had no complaints with the carb I replaced - it just didn't seem as crisp as I wanted - and with the Lectron the bike rides - and sounds - like a factory race bike)
    I haven't even touched an adjustment yet. One odd thing to note is that I swear that it doesn't ding-a-ding-a-ding as you slow for a corner.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice report, thanks. YZ250 tend to be real good runners stock so I bet it is really nice now.
  8. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you Kelly
    After some more thought - the bike obviously carburates much cleaner at idle so the bike is WAY easier to start and it pulls from lower down because the mixture is so right. I did fall down and the bike idled the same lying on its side - with a Rekluse there's little reason to need electric start. We had a slow guy with us this week and had to wait longer than usual a couple of times - the bike started easily in gear with the Rekluse - before it was pretty finicky and I usually had to find neutral first. I imagine that such clean running HAS to increase mpg as well as providing much finer throttle control.

The wider usable power band and the smooth nature of the power makes me faster.

As I pulled away on my first run thru a couple of gears I was surprised at the low end response which quickly tuned into an 'o-chit' moment as the bike came thru the mid onto the pipe and then kept revving - with the front wheel WAY up in the air. More peak power ? I would guess a hp or 2 on the dyno - but the butt dyno says that there is much more real world usable power from lower than before to higher than before. I'm now considering changing my gearing - going up a tooth on front or down a couple in the back.
    A buddy who is a 40 something very fast ex-mx/desert racer gave it a spin and came back saying he'd never ridden a 2 stroke that was so well jetted, crisp and smooth, with such a wide range of power. As Kelly said - my YZ ran very well before - but the Lectron is really worth the money.
    dratharr, shawbagga and 454x like this.
  9. MotocycleWriter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650, TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150RT, BMW R100GS
    I've got a 2007 TE250 and am planning a significant performance upgrade over the next year or so:

Step 1: Lectron Carb
    Step 2 or 3: Rekluse clutch
    Step 3 or 2: 300cc Athena kit.

I'd like to get the carb first since it is a) cheapest and b) my current carb is a POS. I don't see that putting a Rekluse on there will make any difference as to the carb, but the 300cc kit could. Would a 300cc use a different carb than a 250cc? I know the airflow will be a bit different but would it be enough to make a difference? I generally ride in N.Alabama/Georgia/Tennessee tight woods, enduro-style riding, but occasionally do some light track. I also take this bike out to Colorado from time to time and ride at 10,000+ feet. Usually have to do some road riding when I'm out there to get from one trail to the next. Does it make sense to do the carb first or should I do the Athena kit?
  10. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    2x
    That's also a thing I did notice
    when running at a steady speed and surface (normal road) the bike zooms over it and doesn't have the ding a ding power blob in that condition.

running your bike in stealth mode :thumbsup:

Robert-Jan
    MikeB likes this.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    After chasing a bog on excavators 165 this weekend at the husky gathering we found out it was the power valve setting. If your experiencing a bog you cant jet out it's probably the power valve setting.
    wallybean and typeone like this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Same carb will work on both a 250 and 300 no problem.
  13. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR

can you tell us how the PV was set and what change cured the bog?

btw, i freekin' love this carb! :D soooo consistent.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the PV adjustment bolt was at the bottom of the slot and there was some play int he PV actuating arm. This caused it to have a flat spot / bog until it popped open and had a huge hit. Soft boggy bottom to a huge hit mid and top. Moved the bolt about half way on the slot and instantly good bottom, liner power. He had changed the Lectron several times trying to sort this bog and hit and we both thought it felt like the PV and it was. Smooth and powerful now.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Me too. There were 4 or 5 165's with Lectrons at the NW gathering this weekend.
  16. MotocycleWriter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650, TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150RT, BMW R100GS

Where's the best place to order one? I recall somewhere along this thread that you were looking into becoming a vendor. Do you have the specs on what inlet, outlet, spigot, etc a 2007 TE250 would use? Tired of mucking around with these jetting kits. Plus, I went out last week with a guy who runs a Lectron on a GasGas EC300. I'd never seen a two-stroke that ran that smooth. I had ridden his bike before and honestly thought it was a four stroke it pulled so smooth. Hard to reconcile that fat expansion chamber with how easy it started and smoothly it ran. A total tractor at low end and a screamer at top end. Now I know why!
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Email me. motosportz@gmail.com
  18. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

My humble advice would be to try the Lectron before the 300 kit - you may decide you don't need 300cc - besides, as Kelly says, the 38 will work on 250 or 300.if
    (P.S. when you email Kelly he'll ask a few questions such as 'what are you looking to accomplish?' - that one threw me for a second - but he'll set you up with what you need)
    Eaglefreek likes this.
  19. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    That is the same exact comment I got from a buddy who rode my bike a couple weeks ago. He's got a YZ285 and I tried to convince him to try the Lectron since he's got more money than he knows what to do with it, but I couldn't close the deal.
  20. sparky22 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawi
    How do you guys go about draining your carb inbetween rides? I only ride once a month at best and don't want gas sitting in there that long.