Round two of the "other" carb types - Lectron

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Motosportz, Dec 18, 2012.

1. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    yep still alive and my neighbor also

in fact I have to attend a wedding party in about 2 hours (guess it was a bold move from them to plan it on this date)

Robert-Jan
  2. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Kelly
    Thanks for all your efforts so far.
    Pulled the trigger on a Lectron yesterday.
    Got the 36mm.
    All in all same dimensions as the stocker carb but you must ensure you ask to make the spigot O.D. @ 45-46 mm as the stock dimension is like 41mm O.D. Reed manifold rubber is so stiff that making up a 5 mm gap seemed too risky in my eyes. The bell side and the overall width are within less than 1 mm of the TMXX so no issue there.
    Bottom line is even shockless, the old grirl (04 125) convinced me.
    Besides, I thought the world was ending and nothing mattered, so I bought a new 144, a 300, 2 red head TE's and a Strada, started my own race team with a semi rig for a hauler, got the tooling to make "all" the old Husky Products parts, gave congress the money to avoid going over the fiscal cliff, so I am in debt up to my eyeballs! :doh:
    jmetteer, Ruffus, 7point62 and 3 others like this.
  3. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Interesting about the spigot.
    Sounds like you will be heading up the Lectron East Testing (LET). Have you had a Lectron before?
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Tough crowd here :D I was just spouting my mouth about testing it figuring this day would never come and the world would be over. To my dismay I woke up fine today and now have to make the 2 hours drive to some place without snow. Why do you guys have to make this so hard on me? Report back tonight / tomorrow. Carry on.
    rajobigguy, Ruffus, boisedave and 2 others like this.
  5. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    Been quietly watching this. Trying to be patient and not get too worked up over it all and then last night suddenly there is a JD jetting kit for the TMXX thrown into the ring. What timing!
    This is what the Mayans were warning us about!
    huskybear and bigjon like this.
  6. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

OK, The fitment of the cable adjuster on the Lectron is for "THEIR" House cable and throttle. You can get an adjuster with smaller hole for stock cable. They can also offer for an additional $30 a lever operated choke that would be a bit easier to reach like the earlier style Mikuni chokes. He says they are a bit different but similar to the Mikuni. Takes a modification to the body to fit properly.
    Kelly, I gave Kevin from Lectron your contact information as he would like to talk to you about the carb and your impressions as I told him you were doing a 4 way comparison between the Stock TMXx, PWK A/S , APT SC, and the Lectron. He may have some pointers that I didn't include. He also said that he could get me another if I need to. LOL
  7. SC1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 GasGas EC300 2009 KTM 300XC
    :thinking: House cable, $30.00 lever, body modification.....?
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I will PM you my cell phone, please give him that.
  9. Steve-oh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04RM250, 05XR100,07PW80,41 Harley
    I too am interested in the Lectron carbs so I called them and spoke to Kevin as well. Super nice guy. Says Lectron carbs have been around for quite awhile and the company was run by some good old boys who were more interested in drag racing so they never updated their line of motorcycle carbs. Kevin took over the company 3 years ago and implemented the new technology of today into the carbs. You give him the elevation range you mostly ride at, the fuel your running, bike specs ect.. he sets the carb up before shipping it out and is usually spot on. Says he sells a lot to Europeans. One of the positive things he mentioned as you might already know is there is no overlapping circuits in these carbs so the engine runs that much smoother. I'm looking to manage that power band hit the WR300 has, just spread out the power delivery. This might be the ticket. I'm also installing a FWW and Throttle cam. Off season sure gets expensive... :rolleyes:
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So here is the initial Lectron report. Unfortunately the rain and snow here has been pretty relentless. I drove 260 miles round trip to find 28 miles of nice trail. The up side is we did find nice trail to ride after thinking we were going to get shut out.

So same bike, 04 CR125 with Walts 165 kit performed on a FBF cylinder. Doma KTM 200 pipe. New reeds. Motor is excellent condition will 11 hours on the new 165 kit. Stock rejetted TMX worked very good on this bike so it was a nice baseline. Tested the APT carb for about 5 rides and loved it. Had some issues with installing and setting up but once configured and working was very please with the performance. Realized more bottom end power, more roll on lugging power, more mid range, and way more top. Better MPG too. Was very happy with the performance of the APT. When I took it off and put the TMX back on I quickly missed the APT and the throttle response and lugging power.

Enter the Lectron. Very similar earlier generation version of the metering rod concept used in the APT. No main jet, no pilot jet. Everything on the APT is done through the Metering rod bottom to top. On the Lectron it is much the same setup but adds a "power jet" which is an adjustable draw dependent top end circuit. So the Lectron is a metering rod carb with a powerjet top end.

Installation:

the Lectron I received is slightly undersized at the reed block side intake and the bell on the air box side. This means it is really EZ to get in there but you have to tighten the hose clamps down further to seal it. Does not seem so much that it will be an issue. Sealed fine. I struggled a good bit with the APT throttle cable mounting system. This Lectron has a totally different approach and IMHO is far better. Super EZ to get the cable in and there is no way it is coming out as it is trapped by the spring. Simple effective and EZ. So installation was a breeze. I just had my shock revalved and resprung and they used a KYB spring that is slightly larger outside diameter. This makes it rub on the air boot. It is enough for me to worry about long term issue but not short term testing. As seen from the vid above the bike fired right off and took throttle nicely. Seemed like it was going to run good as is.

Let go ride:

So I sent my shock off to get revavled and the plan was to pick it up on the way as my new suspension guy is literally right on the way to this ride area. So this means I brought a partially disassembled bike to a ride. On top of this our original ride meeting area had 5 inches of thick snow on it. CRAP. After I got my truck stuck twice in the snow and then had to back out three miles we went searching for other opportunities.

[IMG]

I would not be denied testing as I knew you guys were all huddled around your monitors awaiting this review (he he he). Found some stuff at 95 feet elevation that did not have snow and was actually some nice trail.

So then it is time to unload, oh wait, maybe I have a few things to do before we shove off. Look at me all prepped and ready to go he he he

[IMG]

Luckily this is a husky 125 so installing the shock and stuff was a 10 minute job.

So?

Bike fired right up, like it did at home and sounded great with my new FMF muffler and newly sealed and mounted exhaust. Of we went. Wow, runs great. Nice throttle response, nice power, no issue with bogs or lean feeling spots etc. First mile or so I am very happy. Instantly runs better than my well tuned TMX. We are off to a good start. Carb went on silly EZ, throttle cable gave me zero grief, bike runs pretty much perfect with zero adjustments. Well I did up the idle slightly. Rode 28 miles and never once thought about needing to fiddle with the carb or adjust anything. Makes great power bottom to top, has that nice instant throttle response I loved with the APT and zero issues.

Buddy Scott who is a A class racer and local fast guy gave it a go and when I asked what he thought the answer was very simple "perfect" He loved the motor and bike. He thought the fueling was perfect. I do to.

So how does it stack up with the others?

Right now I am very happy with the Lectron. It mounted up super EZ and ran perfect with zero adjustments. I gained back some of that bottom missing with the TMX, has much better throttle responsible and runs and responds perfectly anywhere in the rev range. I like it a good bit better than the stock but very well running TMX. The low end lugging power the APT gave me and I missed with the TMX is back, as is the amazing throttle response. In direct comparison to the APT I feel the APT, at least for this quick test has slightly more power. Slightly more bottom end and more top. The Lectron seems to make more mid. They are very comparable though IMHO. The Lectron seems slightly more mellow. It is hard to explain. To me it is very much the same feeling as the APT, crisp quick throttle response, good power gains and great overall feeling to the fuel metering across the range. The Lectron does not seem to have the level of hyper sensitive throttle response and slightly less overall power but still a large step forward from the stock carbs. A this point I am all in on these metering rod designs. For ME and MY riding and bike they just work fantastic.

Closing the APT / Letron performance gap:

As "perfect" as the Lectron runs on my bike I have a feeling a few simple adjustments to the metering rod (leaner) is going to get that hyper sensitive throttle response and additional power the APT brings. A few adjustments will tell. Regardless the Lectron IMHO is a very nice carb and seems to easily outperform the stock carbs. With a few adjustment I think it is going to be a good bit better than a stock carb can get and right in the APT range.

Again, remember this is my feelings on my bike. I can't say you are going to get the same results but I would be surprised if someone got one and did not like it. To me the throttle response and added roll on / lugging power is undeniable and welcome. When I went from the APT back to stock I was somewhat disappointed. The stock carb felt fine, worked well and no issues, bogs or anything but just feels boring and unresponsive in comparison. Also miss the lugging power these metering rod carbs seem to bring to the table.

In summery:

I really like the Lectron. I am kinda surprised as I assumed if these were anywhere near as good as the APT they would sell like hotcakes. Maybe people are unwilling to try something different. I obviously LOVE trying different things. And this test is why. Had no one mentioned the APT or Lectron i would have been riding along on my well tuned TMX thinking all was good. Now that I tasted the APT and Letron I'm not sure I will go back. Looks like I just bought myself a Lectron for Christmas. (Check is in the mail) I just really like the performance, simplicity, MPG, resistance to water issues (important for my riding) and just overall feel it gives the motor. IMHO this is a nice performance upgrade I am willing to afford.

Again:

This is my personal testing, in my ride area on my bikes. I did not buy any of these carbs nor have a stake in any of this. These are strictly my opinions and feelings. Just want to make that crystal clear. That said don't be surprised to see Lectron carbs on the Motosportz web sight as some point. :>) I look forward to speaking with Kevin from Lectron and pickling his brain. I also look forward to adjusting the "perfect" carb to "more perfect" and seeing what left on the table.

Next test:

Next up from "the carb guy" is the TMxx with JD jetting. Honestly I am not really looking forward to taking the Lectron off. I like it and it will be my carb (Will send check Vinduro). But, I have a TMxx and the carb kit here so might as well close this chapter on these carbs and make sure i include that solution in this mix.

Oh:

My 04 CR125 makeover has been a resounding success. I am flat in love with this bike right now. I have massaged it into the perfect woods bike for me. It is working so well for me I have been int he 'zone" the last 4-5 rides and feel real competent and fast on it. The shock revalve and these metering rod carbs had taken this mount to the next level. Scott felt the bike was fantastic as well. Scott does not really like to trade off (likes to ride his bikes set up for him) but flat loved the 165. If interested check out my thread here

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/my-second-165-kitted-bike-and-its-the-frankenbike.29265/

as I will be updating it shortly with my new mods and shock revavle.

thanks for reading
    Kelly
    typeone, Long_Stroke, MikeB and 5 others like this.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The carb was setup for Vinduros husky 165 and mixed race gas. But seems to run near perfect on my bike that is a 165 but different pipe and cyclinder and fuel.

Totally agree. these Metering rod carbs both give seamless bog free pull from idle to last RPM. Make the power liquid and squirty. Great response and clean fuel metering from anywhere in the range. Also much less loading up on long down hills and takes big throttle opening well. I missed all this when I put my TMX back on. It is obvious and very useful IMHO.

I bet you get smoother response and much improved metering. That said I think it will also make the 300 FAST and responsive so hang on.
    Blair7 and Steve-oh like this.
  12. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for taking the time, effort, and expense to do the testing Kelly. Sounds like the Lectron is a winner.
    erigre likes this.
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Was the fuel mileage gain of the APT equalled by the Lectron?
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No idea. All have been crappy mud and snow rides for good sections and that messes up any real MPG testing. Also have one ride on the Lectron and was not concerned about checking fuel. Will report more on that.
  15. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Excellent report Kelly, looking forward to the tmxx test next and will decide which to purchase for my wr after your next report. Thanks again for doing all this!:cheers:. I have e-mailed lectron with my requirements!
  16. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Great write up Kelly. You mentioned tuning the Lectron. Am I correct in thinking that the Lectron top has to come off to adjust it?
  17. Steve-oh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04RM250, 05XR100,07PW80,41 Harley
    Thanks Kelly, Awesome report.... Your input and talking to Kevin at Lectron has convinced me to go with the Lectron, he also gave me a "racers" discount, can't beat that.. a fair bit cheaper then APT cast version! :applause:
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes, to tune the metering rod you pull the slide and rotate the rod in for richer and out for leaner. They do a lot of the setup by measuring the distance of the slide to the end of the rod.
  19. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Glad you like the Lectron. Looks like I gotta call Kevin and order myself another carb. Let me know what you end up with on Needle adjustment. Sounds like you might end up lowering it a 1/4 turn.
    You will notice a real improvement in fuel economy with this carb.
  20. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    I could use more mileage as well. I noticed when I went to the CR ignition my mileage dropped significantly. Probably because it winds up so much faster! I'm thinking I would want the 38mm though.