Replacement oil drain plug?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by apobateman, Dec 31, 2016.

1. apobateman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XL700V Transalp 2008
    Hi all, does anyone know what oil drain plugs will fit the Terra? I went to change the oil on mine today and the 24mm nut is rounded off so I will need to get a new one - I am assuming that my local Husky dealer should have one but if not, which BMW equivalent will fit?

Also, has anyone used the Irwin 24mm 15/16 bolt extractor with success to remove the rounded plug, or can recommend an alternative (for Australians...I am also considering the Toolpro bolt extraction set from supercheap autos which includes a 24mm socket)

Thanks and happy new year!
  2. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    It's certainly a bit of a job to round off a 24 hex...often using a 6-point socket does the trick, as it's got far more bite than a multipoint (most high-impact sockets are 6-pointers, even cheap ones).
    I'd try that first.
    The BMW one would be the most likely fit...or take the old one to SuperCheap Auto, measure thread diameter and pitch as well as "seat" width (the width of the actual sealing surface) More than likely they'll have something to suit the specs.
    PaulC and apobateman like this.
  3. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Yes, easily done. The problem is the sump plug head is alloy and to shallow.
    I got mine out by laying the bike over and grinding, squaring off the bolt head and then using a large vise-grips. (Go slow, a bit of heat is good)
    Try this first, before drilling because the bolt is thin.

To prevent this from occurring again grind the taper off a 6 point socket
    IMG_6778.JPG
    apobateman and glitch_oz like this.
  4. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
  5. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The drain plug is the same as the 650GS, BMW part No 11 13 7 700 094, they are known to be problematic unless a 6 point socket is used, there is an alternative with hex key which 650GS owners use, it is BMW part No 11 13 7 708 604 Screw Plug, Magnetic - M24x2, it is used on the BMW G Series twins
    PaulC, apobateman and glitch_oz like this.
  6. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

I've never had any problem using a 12point 24mm socket, but the 6 point socket with the taper ground off sure looks like a good idea :)
    PaulC and apobateman like this.
  7. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Thank you for the link.

My order arrived this week, really nicely made/finished and the big ass magnet certainly is very strong. Will do an oil change this weekend if my oil filters turn up.

image.jpeg
    PaulC and johnsweet like this.
  8. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Thanks for this useful info.

I'm kitting up for my first oil change and notice there are two bolts under there - which one needs to come out? The one with the level face?
  9. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    the other bolt connects the oil line to the engine, don't touch that one.
    Don't bother trying to get the plug out of the drain thingie in the rubber oil line above the engine. Just losen the right hose clamp and pull the line off and drain the oil into a funnel.
    Might be a good idea to take out the oil screen on the left side of the frame just below the head tube and clean it if the bike has more than say 10k km on it and it hasn't been cleaned before.
  10. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Cool. Thanks.
  11. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

You might also consider a modification to the frame drain plug when you drop the oil, have a look at:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/oil-change-drama.30550/page-6#post-396852 in particular post 113, this works well for me and I change my oil every 5000 kilometers.

The fittings are: M10 to 9/16 JLC adaptor, 10mm Dowty seal washer for the adaptor to original fitting, hose end fittings are two female 9/16 JLC to 1/4 Push Lock fittings, 9/16 JLC blanking plug and a length of 1/4 Push Lock hyd hose.

JLC fittings are metal to metal sealing type fittings that have a 37 degree flare (sealing surface angle) and straight United National Fine straight threads (UNF)

Push Lock hoses work with the applicable fitting to make up hose assemblies without crimping/swaging.
    Ziggy likes this.
  12. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Is this the oil screen? image.jpeg
    PaulC likes this.
  13. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle: