Random Stall – a Silver Bullett or as close as we may get. TR650 Husky

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kiwiape, Jun 22, 2015.

1. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I'm curious as to how you had the grommet at the top configured to make up the added length of the Pulstar over stock. Did that have something to do with the failure?

Edit, I see you have the O ring added. How did that secure the coil?
  2. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Mag00, the same thought here, remember the pics in another thread re the failure of from memory a Brisk plug ?, gap was opened and it was clear there had been an internal failure in the plug, the thought of vibration failure came to mind on it, could even have been a manufacturing defect on both causing high resistance and resultant heat build up internal to the plug due power being dissipated internal to the plug, classic electrical failure symptoms
  3. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

Magoo, dont know exactly what you mean by grommet at the top. I used a 5mm and a 6mm o-ring to secure and support the coil. And made certain the coil was a snug fit to prevent fatigue, but it is still possible I guess.
    I took the plugs out at about 5000 klicks and found the gap had grown to 3mm. Which leeds to believe they cannot cope with the hi-comp heat. Regapping and reinstalling them.
    And to be honest I couldn't notice any difference then and now back to the standard issue also. To my way of thinking "that's why we have two plugs".

Wayne I did a autoscan after that ride and found 3 errors. Do you know if they are coil related? The hexcode web site isnt much help with errors.
    I do a autoscan every 4 or 5 weeks and these are the first errors. Once cleared they have not represented after two days of commuting.
    And I have not contacted Hiclone, dont see any point
    errors codes.JPG

Anyhow No harm done
    It still goes like a rocket!
    Thanks for the input
    Regards
    DeLewis likes this.
  4. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    As I noted in another thread, when I removed the Pulstars recently I found that the gap on one of the plugs had also opened right up.
    PaulC likes this.
  5. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Just wondering if you're running the 0280158124 261 g/min Bosch injector in conjunction with the Pulstars?
  6. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Thats a no from me, but I am thinking of buying a 124 and installing with a valve job. Why do you ask?
  7. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    No biggie. Just thought the dual cone spray pattern of the 124 might be creating uneven combustion & hotspots.
  8. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The error codes show that there was a failure of comms on the CAN BUS so the BMSE did not see the Dash (Kombi) and hence did not receive the speed signal when it expected it, since there is no indication of how many times it occured and it is not present now you would have to assume it was a one off problem, I have seen the same error on another machine, cant recall which one though

Re the plug failure

If you look at the pics of the plug you will see that the problem is not heat range related, or combustion related, there has been a connection failure internal to the plug and that excessive heat has been generated further up the length of the plug at the point of the connection failure and the upper part of the plug has separated, the centre electrode has retracted slightly increasing the gap but the tip shows no sign of overheat, look closely at the plug tip

The internal connection which is the source of the problem could be either a manufacturing defect or vibration related, the good news is that the tip and the connection up to the failure point remained intact and in place

It is important to let HiCloneQld know re the fault in the plug as it may be production related

It is also worth going back and looking at the failure of the Brisk plug on page 10 of the show us your plug thread
    PaulC likes this.
  9. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    HiClone has a generous warranty on the plugs so the least you should try is get your money back or new plugs.
  10. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Thank you and I will let HiClone know
  11. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

On closer inspection it appears the ceramic came away from the base, causing the melt down of the boot and separation of the top electrode. And does not appear to be fatigued.
    Been riding over 45 years and never had an issue with a plug, so you'll understand if I back away. Dont want a new plug, dont want my money back, just rather live and learn.
    Might put it on the band saw and see whats inside:eek: [IMG]
    IMG_6682.JPG
    DeLewis likes this.
  12. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Just tried to buy some Pulstar JE2RT8 plugs from Australia and got told " They are unavailable as they are being redesigned or so I'm told". Does anyone know of some anywhere?.
  13. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    https://pulstar.com/product/je2rt-8/
    try this link, you may have to wait awhile
  14. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
  15. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    you can have mine that did not fail and if PaulC still has his that did not fail you're good to go ;) I just wouldn't risk it especially since the Pulstars did not make any difference in my Terra over the stock plugs. That re-design phase is lasting for quite a while now and i doubt we'll ever see new and improved ones.
    PaulC likes this.
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    i got the last 2 in Australia few months ago.
    I put the first set in at 20,000k and still have them in there currently at 50,000k.
    They made a nice improvement to my already nicely running bike back then.
  17. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    mi
    mine have done about 15k and the center electrode has reduced in height significantly, how are yours looking?
  18. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Hey Mike, if you are "dead set" on getting these plugs, you can buy direct from pulstar in the states.
    But it might be worth asking Louis Camilli for an update on the redesign of these plugs. IMHO You dont want to be buying Gen 1.
    He seems like a good bloke and replied to emails, although I agree with CarstenB. I know of 3 failures. 2 were purchased in Oz and I imported mine so it wasnt a batch issue.
    Louis S Camilli
    President/Founder
    2451 Alamo Ave SE
    Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106
    [IMG]
    direct: (505) 999-2003
    mobile: (505) 453-7773
    www.enerpulse.com

www.pulstar.com
  19. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have tried several times to call and speak with a person, no luck. I did read on their website that CEO Joseph Gonella has retired as of 1/7/16 - Here is a number for international calls 1-505-842-5201
  20. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just had a reply from Lou by email. They said it is being superseded by a (SE2HT) and will be available this fall. His email is lcamilli@pulstar.com
    kiwiape likes this.