1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

PVL IGNITION ADVICE 500 LC

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by troublemaker, Feb 25, 2013.

1. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Got it together,It started on the second kick,runs very well.I could start it wearing flip flops with the decompressor.Only issues with the kit was the kill switch which I tossed in the dumpster,It's not a momentary contact and kinda cheezy.
    I'm very happy I finally got this squared away and hope this thread will help other people with 500's
    Now I just need to get my clutch issues worked out.
  2. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Sounds like I need to try one on my '79 Maico 440. Its got a PVL right now and its really hard to get it started.
  3. tapio Husqvarna
    A Class

I have a PVL on my 83 cr500. Think i have made it start on the kicker just once. Tryed everything reg, carbs and advance. But bump start is the only way to start it :-(
  4. Dave Mills Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for all the input Troublemaker. I will definitely buy one when the funds allow
    troublemaker likes this.
  5. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I tried damn near everything to get this thing to start on the kicker even second guessed everything I did on it.Mine would start if you bump started it and it would fire as soon as you let the clutch out.I knew I was in trouble with the PVL when the info said you have to run the thin wire plug,I was fortunate when the company I bought it from said they would change it out for a MZ-B after I had installed it.Randy from penton said he didn't think the MZ-B would start it either.I ordered one anyway but they offered to refund my money after they found out they were back ordered,Which I thought was really decent of them.I now see on their Ebay add that the PVL might not start a 500.
  6. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    We are working with Electrex to clarify which systems are for CR, Wr XCs etc, and to further define what each kit should contain.

I have some sample kits here that we will be stocking in the not too distant future. I want to do some testing first, and then maybe make up the brackets for the ignition coils so that they will bolt straight on. It all takes time though!
    I am also waiting for some lighting components from Electrex to enable this to happen.....

Also, it would be nice if the MX kits had a keyway the same as the Enduro kits.

Andy Elliott
    darren7878 and dartyppyt like this.
  7. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I put 30+ miles on it today,ran perfect.
  8. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Andy, any thought to having kits that will fit the different crank end sizes?
  9. FirstEliminator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    couple good ones and a few projects
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Bergs
    Hi Andy,
    You mentioned working with Electrex to further define the various kits. Do you happen to know the difference between stk-185 and stk-186 ? They are both listed for Husqvarna wr 125-500.

Does Electrex make a new ignition to replace the Femsa on a 1973 450wr? Searching their site, I didn't see any listing for older bikes.

I came real close to ordering a couple of MZB. One for the 1973 450wr and another for the 87 430. Yet, I think I will change the order to get the MZBs only for the old bikes and get an Electrex for the 87 430.

Kevin, is that Electrex still working good on the 500?

All in all, I guess the question is, for an 87 430, which would be the better ignition to use? MZB or Electrex?
  10. FirstEliminator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    couple good ones and a few projects
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Bergs
    This morning I ordered 3 MZB's. One for the 73 450wr, and the other two were for projects that have a long way to go----a '75 400wr and a '77 360wr. Shortly after they arrive I'll try it out on the 450wr.

Any further commentary on the Electrex on a mid-80's Husqvarna?
  11. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    Several years, nne of my WR 400s (LC) came equipped with a PVL iginition. It was quick and responsive, but like everyone else says here about PVLs on a big bore, kind of hard to start at times. I added a FWW and it helped smooth out the motor and improved the starting somewhat.

You can get PVL flywheel weights from Al Buehner: http://www.pentonpartsusa.com/ignitions.htm

But what I've done now is buy used motoplats in good working condition for my KTMs/Pentons, or simply by new MzB ignitions for any other bike (Maico, Husky) that a completely fried ignition. If you're running a big bore euro woods bike, MzBs are the best IMHO.
  12. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    At Mike 52's advice I just fitted a Chinese pit bike CDI and coil to my 1984 Husky 500AE retaining the SEM stator and it has turned it into a 1 kick start bike! Couldn't be happier. The old SEM CDI coil unit would require me to try to start the bike at least one full race earlier than the race immediately before my gate on club VMX days. I run a decompressor on the big girl so I can start it like a girl!

Here is some shots of the installation. The coil, CDI and kill switch (I didn't use their kill switch and used my Magura) cost $27 buy it now on eBay. The eBay seller is chinkychonkbikes (no I didn't make that up!). I had to replace the connector plugs with larger ones that fit the SEM. The wires are quite thin. It's what you expect for $27 and with the use the bike will get should last my lifetime!

Note the CDI blue/white wire = trigger = green from SEM stator
    Black/red = power supply = red from SEM stator
    Green = earth = black from SEM stator

Hope this gives people an alternative to more costly options before deciding that the stator is cactus. Old SEM and most likely old Motoplats with weak spark can be reinvigorated with a modern CDI and coil for small change.

View attachment 35435 image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  13. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    PEZBerg -- that's pretty damn cool. You just saved yourself a whole lot of money. Good stuff.
  14. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yes Skoalman it was a cheap option. Luckily my stator was OK otherwise I would have been up for much more expensive fixes. I can't get over a Husky that starts on the first kick! Damn.... how many years have I put up with a cantankerous starting bike when the solution was $27 away
  15. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have been told that Electrex and Horse Power Ignition are the same thing. Or to be more exact, Electrex makes the External Flywheel, and HPI makes the CDI Box. With HPI you can get either internal or external Flywheel. The external is a recent addition, they didn't offer it before. Maybe a better way of saying it is HPI now has the option of using the Electex Flywheel. Before everybody runs over to there Web sight, they don't list anything for a Husqvarna prior to 1985. Although they do advertise Vintage Bikes and make stuff for just about anything with a small engine. Since the Motoplat was fairly universal between brands of the same area, and they do make kits for other brands that had the Motoplat, they probably have it and just don't list it yet. To see what they might offer, look at the Maico 490.
  16. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yes HPI sell Electrex World stators for many applications. On the Electrex World website you can see the red CDI boxes with the HPI logo on them frequently. The HPI CDI provides a rev limiter which SEM's didn't have. Handy on the 510 four strokes anyway. HPI pricing seems better than that from Electrex Worlk website when I priced a stator recently. Also got a reply from HPI whereas Electrex World replied once and then nothing despite several polite reminders. Might be response better by phone but if you run a website and don't reply to customer enquiries then you must be a brilliant business person in other ways because you obviously don't need website business?
  17. oneal Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 wr 250 returned home.
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 TE 450 2005 TE 450 1999 CR 125
    What you see with electrex is what you get. I had a few bumps with them along the way and not just with huskys. I tend to think that you will be better off with HPI.
  18. husqyman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 XC430, 1987 250WR.
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 955i
    Way to go PEZBurq I like your thinking do you think this will work on my 88 430XC or have any members here grafted on a Jap CDI unit, back/leg problems may curtail my involvment with my bike unless I can get her to start easier. Unless anyone can supply me a suitable head that I can do the de-comp mod on?.
  19. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    If the 88 430 does not run ignition advance on the CDI then the el cheapo pit bike CDI and coil will be fine. If it runs an advance curve then you will need a CDI that provides the same curve. Not sure when the SEM's went to an advance curve on the Husky's. Someone will know on this forum I bet.

There is a thread on decomp on a LC engine on this forum. It shows decomp device fitted to a LC head. Requires some welding. I don't know how to add the link so just look at Auto Decompression Conversion for 2 stroke Husky - easy. Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by NZHusky, Nov 27, 2010.

Good luck with the aches and pains....I share your issue :-(
    husqyman likes this.
  20. gday Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 2012
    Other Motorcycles:
    84KDX200,KTM125-85,250-85,85maico250
    I've just bought an 84 xc500 - with motoplat. I'm interested in the China bike Cdi and coil mod- has anyone tried thus on a motoplat?