1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Poll - Torque limiter failures on 449/511

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Motosportz, May 13, 2014.

?

Had a Torque limiter failure on my 449 / 511

yes (please post miles and type of riding) 5 vote(s) 10.4%
No 43 vote(s) 89.6%
  1. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Either would work. I would like to see a solid or welded transfer gear and a more forgiving clutch than another transfer gear/torque limiter.

I think if your design is similar to how I describe allowing 360 degrees of slip then mechanical lockup, then slip again. "ratcheting" type. It would cure our problems because the limiter would be no longer able to slip full rotations which will heat and "anneal" the plates as you have described previously. Thus the amount of slip would be MECHANICALLY limited. Vs friction. This is what we need. Also how many people have broken gears? On ANY bike?

Can we get a picture of the gears in the 449/511 vs the gears in a crf450r or comparable bike? Maybe older husky 450/510's?

I still think the clutch idea is onto something. Solid transfer gear, a more forgiving clutch = win win. Also back torque limiting (slipper) which is something most of the supermoto guys pay 1000$ for all the time.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I got 6000 miles out of my original one with thicker oil and the stock breather. Hoping for 10K out of this one with thinner oil and relocated breather. I'm 100% fine with that as I'll have the motor out for a piston and rings then anyway. I found the motor surprisingly EZ to pull.
    Big Timmy and Tinken like this.
  3. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    That's almost the exact answer I got when I asked to produce another TL. That we have improved the oem life span already and it wasn't feasible at this time to manufacture the new design.
  4. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Re-design a new one then. I'll buy one myself. Did I say it was new and exiting? A new one would be new and exiting.

Since the Torque limiter problem goes all the way back to 2009 in the BMWs. Its a step in the right direction, so it really is progress if it can still be used as it is.

We don't have any other options do we?

It beats the hell out of nothing!

We can thank Wolfgang, who ever he is from Dakar 2012 then.

I've never spoken to him but I've heard enough promises and BS on here alone to last a lifetime.

I've never seen such a needed item discussed with such closed minded resistance.

Providing a service is all about doing something that would benefit many. Not benefit ones self.

If the only thing that has been done is discuss this problem and argue to the point of agreeing not to agree, that's still progress.
    9880sts likes this.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Big Timmy likes this.
  6. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I'm hoping mine lasts too :)
    I've run 5w40 bike oil since the 1st change & don't do much flat-stick high speed straight line stuff.
    3900km now, thinking about a new bike next year.......
    Fingers crossed :)
  7. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Has anyone run a 'solidised' (not even sure that's a word, just made it up) TL & a cush-drive hub??
    Big Timmy likes this.
  8. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    i am going to put up a few more infos tonight.
    Shime size and inner diameter .

This can he;b to get a few spare one. Also going to take a few more detailed pictures of the single parts.
    I m also installing a different type of shim tonight , it more like using parts of the old TL to get where i want to have it.

My aim is around 250-300 NM in hot condition.
    Big Timmy and Motosportz like this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Not sure what you are getting at here. Seems like a very informational thread with several people contributing good info. :excuseme:
  10. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006

there is no way in hell a STOCK TL will hold 380NM ....Come on people !!!
    I just sheared one at 350NM.. Thats more torque then we use to tighten 8330 John Deere Tractor Wheel Bolts !!! We are talking a 350 HP massive Agriculture TRActor.

I just say , i had enough of this Fucked up TL thing. I managed to set mine in Cold with Oil to 260NM. And people that feels damn shit heavy.

PLus a Bike with 73 some HP and a Stock TL limiter wont last. DOnt tell people that. ... In the interest of a Husqvarna Dealer ship, why should there be more Information come out. Sell Parts and Labour thats the motto.

i will put some more info here.. broken discs etc... 350NM my a.... I was hanging on that thing with a 3/4 Torque wrench plus a damn pipe over it. I had trouble holding on to the thing. i am 6'4' and 240lbs in English.

THIS is a 8330 Tractor.
    Just thought i upload a Picture (real life) of it for the non AG experienced people.
    8330JD.jpg

Check the inner spline !!! its fukn gone . it broke at 350 NM
    friction disc.jpg
    ray_ray and Big Timmy like this.
  11. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Torque limit reached.....
    Big Timmy, Motosportz and 9880sts like this.
  12. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    "Wolfgang" from Dakar 2012. Is who I said I never spoke to, or know.

I Try not to Quote others posts directly Kelly because it would make me look stupid.

There was a reference to BS and promises for a reason, at this point you figure it out.

The reference to "closed minded resistance" was in that it took this long to get here. It was like pulling teeth
    and wading through the BS all the way. Plus I have about 3 people like you slamming me every time I say something.
    That's BS also but I've predicted that up front in other posts anyway and it sometimes provokes no response at all after doing so.
    If I don't say that up front every time I post. It will provoke a response from so and so or so and so. Should I just leave an open box for you and the same people with their names on it for your comments. Its about the same every time.

Do you need that explained for you too?
    ray_ray likes this.
  13. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    I still would like to know where the extra shims can be found.

Paw Paw
    Big Timmy and 9880sts like this.
  14. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Helmut is making them up as needed, He's a mechanic.
    I'm sure he'll put up some info soon.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  15. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    Who is this Wolfgang ???? no one knows him at the BMW side !!!
    Big Timmy likes this.
  16. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006

Hi Paw Paw,

i have used the extra shim i had left over from my old Torque limiter.
    That Shim has a inner Diameter of 17.3mm
    and is only as wide as the Bearing race. i forgot now but thats around 3.5mm.

I will Upload some pics with description what i did to get more out of it...

Have you got your Tl out of the Bike at the moment ?
    Big Timmy likes this.
  17. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks again Helmut, you have put a few things into perspective here. The pictures are great.

I can finally believe that some of these TL tested breakaway numbers mean something. Even if the factory markings from a Multi-Billion Dollar Factory mean nothing. Which I did infact say with some reservation I might add, Forget the numbers in a previous post.

Previous to your posts, all the numbers we were getting were delusional.

Thanks to you now we have real explained numbers and how you were able to actually get there,(pictures included) I will be purchasing a fixture to keep at home and bolt it down to do this myself.

Shim sizes please but take your time and post up at your leisure.
  18. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    No, I have not taken it out yet. It seems to be working ok, but I too wanted to do some experimenting with shims to see if I can ad some life to the unit. I have also considered doing some experimenting with disk friction material coating as well. I just did not want to take it out without having something to start with.
    Maybe what I need is a second complete unit.
    Any idea where I can get one?

Thank you,

Paw Paw
  19. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bike Bandit, A&S BMW, just to name a few. Prices have gone up though about 6 months back. The BMW part is the same. Bike bandit used to list 2 different part numbers on their website My Dealer too and I always bought the more expensive one. If the Husqvarna dealers are holding out on being able to get these, go to your nearest online BMW parts distributor.

Or contact "Tinken"@"Zipty", perhaps they still have them also for sale, with already pre-tested higher than normal rated numbers ......?

I'm not sure though about that or if they are still available currently.

Way back in this thread, I said to "Tinken" I would be down for one if he had a supply of them that they were testing out with that high of numbers and I never got a response back.

I got lots of other responses though.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I got mine from ZipTy, they tested it for me before sending it out. Had nothing but great dealings with them. Calling the shop direct is probably the best thing to do as people don't always see posts on forums. I know I have missed a few.
    Big Timmy likes this.