1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

plastic restoring tips??

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by justintendo, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    I did a Yamaha gas tank similar to the way "can" did it. I used a heat gun instead of the torch though, and used some polish on it. It looked pretty good from about 5 paces for about a week and a half, then the whole side of the gas tank split open. I am gonna guess the heat made it brittle.
  2. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I hope a plastics expert steps in here and explains the various plastic compounds.
    Preston Petty plastic? I wonder how it compares to the modern plastic ans some of the differences.
  3. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I have never heard of doing it to a gas tank (I thought about it too) and now I see why.
    :(
  4. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    I know this is an old thread, but it is still relevant, the plastic used on Husqvarnas must be a higher quality or different material than the Japanese manufacturers, I've done Jap plastics before and they aren't too bad, but as mentioned earlier, the Husky plastics delaminate in layers and it seems to be a much harder plastic. I have found that 320 wet and dry is as coarse as you need to go with japanese plastics, but I had to go down to 180 grit paper and rub the bejeesus out of it for hours just to get a base to start from.
    On one radiator shroud I had to resort to a razor blade to get a thick layer of oxidised, delaminating plastic off, the 180 W/D paper wouldn't touch it.
    Tony Brown.
    everfree likes this.
  5. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
  6. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Husky plastic is different from the Japanese. Most Acerbris stuff was a nylon resin polymer. Not the same as the polyurethane type plastic on Japanese bikes. You can see very very tiny "pore" looing things in the Husky stuff. on first cleanup they show looking like thousands of little blackhead pimples on a teenagers face!
  7. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Another thing I've used on previous paint stuff, that I wanted to strip of the old crappy paint is Castrol Super Clean.

Buy it in the gallon size jug, put part in a suitable container, & submerge what you want to strip paint off of.
    Let it sit overnight & unless it's really bad ,the old paint will fall right off.

Don't let you parts sit for more then a few days thought as it will dis color the plastic , it really strong stuff :eek: .

And the best thing is it's reusable, pour the stuff back into the container, all but the paint that floats to the bottom,
    that you toss..

and one last thing , don't let your hand , stay in the stuff for too long, they don't call in Super Clean for nothing,
    it will do a job on cuts on your hands...
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  8. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '76MR250 '83IT250 '84 IT490 '69CT70
    So I have tried all the different ways. Be warned, to do it correctly it is a ton of work and takes practice, but it can be done. Honestly, I don't think most will have the patience to sand properly. Here is some jap plastic I did. The gray areas had to be scraped then then wet sanded with progressive grits, carefully washing all the prior grit away before starting on the next grit. Final stage is a large soft buffing wheel with blue compound, but you just BARELY touch the wheel, kind of float if over the plastic so as not to create heat. First pic is after some scraping.
    [IMG]

Final Product
    [IMG]
    oldbikedude likes this.
  9. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    I start with a Case Trapper pocket knife it seems to be the best thing for me . Hold it straight down like your cutting a carrot or something on a cutting board , then just rake it in one direction . You've been warned this takes some serious time and tons of elbow grease and quite a few adult beverages .
    oldbikedude likes this.
  10. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '76MR250 '83IT250 '84 IT490 '69CT70
    EXACTLY!!! That's why I say most don't have the patience for this art.