1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

plastic restoring tips??

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by justintendo, Nov 24, 2013.

1. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    hey all...i have a few sets of shrouds and fenders that are in good shape physically but have finishes that are degrading and delaminating..specifically right now im working on 87-88 rad shrouds...any tips and tricks would be great!
  2. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    "Youtube" has several videos on how to restore and re-shine up old degraded plastics. Check it out. Your local bike shop should carry plastic restore kits as well. I've never used one of these kits myself and can't vouge for its effectiveness. Some of the YouTube ideas are pretty cool and seem to work with common items you may already have in your household.
  3. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300

I've seen some videos on YouTube and other places about restoring old plastic. I haven't tried any of the techniques though.
    I'd be curious if you find something that works. I have old plastic too, and a couple of 87-88 bikes that could use some freshening.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    its weird...almost anything i have black is still great...alot of white stuff gets that top layer thats kinda like a scab...poreous almost...undernreath that kinda looks ok. would like to try something that wont involve painting..i have some homemade stripes ready to go
  5. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    i believe its uv rays that break down the poly, i think black is more resistant i know they have to add uv stabilizers to colours for logevity in sunny climates.
  6. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have used a razor blade to scrape away the oxidized plastic to get down to the good plastic.
    Best to scrape in one direction and try to minimize lines and gouges.
    Then wet sand with 600 , 1000 and then 1500 grit sand paper. When you have it all sanded smooth, use Mothers aluminum wheels polish to make them shine. It takes a lot of elbow grease and lots of time.

BTW, I didn't have any luck trying to use polishing wheels, they generate heat to quickly and actually melt the plastic.

Also, the plastic renew kit I tried was nothing more than floor polish. Wipe it on smoothly and it leaves a nice shine like your kitchen floor, but washes off pretty easy. May be good for a garage queen.
  7. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    use #4 (roughest) industrial steel wool (Home depot), takes most of the nasty crap right off, makes a mess though & pile of dust so do it where you
    clean it up easily. Here's one i did a while back

Attached Files:

8. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Has any one tried the restorative polish you can buy for UPVC windows?
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    #4 steel wool....check.....what are you guys using to sand? just by hand?
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    I use Meguiars plastic polish to finish all cleaning operations, works well for the luster part
    by the way there was a post I read, can't find it but it involved laundry soap and a bunch of different methods after that, will try to find it and post it, might have been on the Husky Owners site just can't remember right now
  11. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Yup, what Ron said, I used a dam pocket knife ... I figured it could'nt get any worse. So yes scrape one way then start to sand , think I did something like 220 wet, 400 wet, then 1000 wet then used maguirs car polish (cleaner wax stuff) and rub like a mother...It went from crusty dry stuff you could dig your finger nail in and write your name in it to a nice shiny 10 footer... you still will have some minor scratches in it tho , not bad at all . Night and day difference.
  12. Old Geezer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 XC500, 1985 CR500
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Yamaha 360 MX, Harley FatBoy
    That's pretty much been my approach, but I used progressively finer steel wool with mineral spirits as a lubricator (plus, it tends to pull out those deep oil stains and whatever from years of exposure). Last step was hitting it with some BleachWhite (for white wall tires), scrub her down with the fine steel wool, rinse and wash and dry well, then hit it with a good high quality automotive plastic/vinyl protectant. Did this on the fenders and tank of my bro's '85 CR500. Lots and lots of elbow grease is necessary....it's about a 4 beer job anyway.
  13. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    4 beer per item !!! 2 fenders and 2 shrouds thats 16 , O hell just get an 18 pack. lol
  14. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I have had fairly good results by sanding progressively finer W&D paper then using a heat gun to heat the plastic until it is barely fluid on the surface before moving on. The surface does get smooth and fresh, but practice (on old parts) is advised. There is Utube out there on this procedure.
  15. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    when you say a heat gun, you mean a real one not a hair tool right?
    what distance and what wattage? you have my curiosity :confused:
  16. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    husqvarna plastics white
    1 steel decap
    SAM_7203.JPG
    2 decap water
    eponge-abrasive-pou.jpg
    cif-citron-750-ml-ref22851.jpg

3 paper water 600 !
    4 acetone !
    :thumbsup:
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    great ideas guys...thanks for the inspiration...its a shame that i have all this plastic thats serviceable except the finish
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I think around 3-4" to get things going then back off and kind of chase the "slick" around. You will get the hang of it if you practice on some old plastic. If you don't have any old stuff around to practice with just take it slow..
    I think most heat guns are 1500 watts.
  19. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    thanks I have some pretty rough pieces to practice on
  20. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

A couple days ago I did a 5 minute "restoration" on a preston petty canam front fender with a turbotorch after trying a heat gun with no success. The fender was severely oxidized, I should have used steel wool to remove the oxidation first but just jumped in with the torch. finished results,, went from looking terrible to "not bad at 5 paces", looks shiny but definetely not perfect. This may not work on all plastic though.