1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Official SMR 511 Mod thread

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Suputin, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Very possible. Husqvarna say's that most people don't even know it's slipping.
  2. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    Wheelies slow you down anyway. Try diff sprocket ratios if you want more wheelie time :)
    I run the stock front with a 46 rear and sometimes get 3rd gear wheelies, going to try a 48 on my new wheelset.
  3. BR1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 125 MY2010, SMR 449 MY2011
    If you like so much wheelies you should have taken an old 450/510, these new models are made to prevent wheelies ;)
  4. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    i reckon your Limiter is slipping .. just enough to take the torque you need in higher Gear to pull it up. Mine was the same.
    Pull the Limiter out, and install a extra shim as in my TL replacement post mentioned. .. Same was the answer i got from BMW this week. Once the Limiter starts to slip , you can install one more shim. You will get away with not replacing for a while.
  5. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Nope I now have a spare 511 motor with less than 500 miles on it.

When I get some money up for a slipper clutch. At the same time I am going to weld that torque limiter solid on my engine.

If it shits the gears, no problem I have a whole motor as backup.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  6. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Guniea-pig test, cool. We're all watching :)

Make sure they heat treat it again.
  7. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Heat treat it?

Nah, I will tig it in the powder coat oven then let it cool. We will see if it's even possible. Going to be awhile before I have the money and time to play with it. Maybe I could purchase a bad limiter to play with.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  8. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    Do the 5spd TC engines use a TL?
  9. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Yes. And the BMW G450X too
  10. palmer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511 2012

so how much did all this cost? is it worth doing? is there anyone in Australia that can do it? thanks for your help.
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Adding a shim to a worn out belleville spring washer is adding insult to injury. Just replace the whole torque limiter when you tear it down.
  12. palmer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511 2012
    how is this done?
  13. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Using readily available, cheaper BMW parts.
    Probably better to test & shim a 'good' non slipping limiter before it fails.

Search 'Torque limiter poll' thread. Post #148 has a parts list.
  14. palmer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511 2012
    cheers mate.
  15. Boxing Kangaroo Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Smr511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha r1
    hey guys a little late to the party but just brought a 2012 SMR11 and loving it.. bit the rear annoys the hell out of me!! has anyone found an integrated tail light kit?? would live to clean the back up. I already have the full akro exhaust and a few other mods... Ill upload some pictures in the coming days.. Thx for all your help.
  16. vasilli Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 511 SMR
    Make your own! Long bolt + skateboard wheels. Cheap. Search for DIY sliders.
  17. vasilli Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 511 SMR
    Hey Everybody.

Just bought a 2009 510 SMR, seems stock, just the O2 sensor removed. That thing is a beast. 15000 km.

Then saw a good deal on a 2011 511 SMR. Looks better, only 4000 km. So bought it. But to my dismay it seems so slow! Slower than the 510. Is that possible? Are the 510's faster stock? My new 511 has stock exhaust and Race Map 2. Opinions on 510 vs 511?
    Also 510 seems smaller somehow. And I like it more, b/c it' compact. Is 511 bigger?

Second question. Seems like I need a pipe. Heard youtube videos and liked the Arrow sound the best. Is getting a slip on good enough for extra power ($500 aluminum or $700 titanium) or i should get a full titanium system @ $1200. Is the full system worth the $$? Will I notice a difference if I just run a slip on w/ a stock header?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Looking forward to getting her running.
  18. vasilli Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 511 SMR
  19. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    LOL....remember just my opinion, had a 13 449 and 511 at the same time, raced both in SM trim and 449 beat the 511 every time. Put fmf on them removed smog junk tps reset race map 3. In stock form both 449/511 were pigs compared to a 450 dirt bike. When I rode them home from the dealer I was shocked how slow and under powered they were. After modding them (mentioned above) the 449 ran great but I could never dial the 511 in. The 511 was just a quirky girl and I tried everything but the butterfly removal that dangermouse swears by. The 510 is a great bike and will kill the 511..........Spending that kind of money on an exhaust sounds crazy to me but its not my money, yes the 511 is taller than the 510 and maybe a bit longer too if I remember correctly. Just the slip on fmf will make a huge difference the head pipe is really a matter of preference and money.
  20. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    If you want a 449-511 to have quick throttle response, pull out that butterfly.
    It will feel dull when you open the throttle until you do.
    They definitely need a free flowing muffler, we were lucky in Aus and at least got the Akro muffler supplied with the bike from new.
    bbnmb likes this.