1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Official SMR 511 Mod thread

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Suputin, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350
    Seeing as the 2011 bikes are quite different from earlier models and the SMR seems to be different in many ways from the TE, and this board is dominated by dirt guys, I thought it might be nice to try to collect all the mods, upgrades and improvements SMR 511 owners make to their bikes all in one thread so we can all benefit without having to scour the entire board.

The things I am after are:

Tail Light Tidy - to get rid of the ugly OEM licence plate mount.
    Mirrors - cause the OEM ones look HORRIBLE.
    Metal skid plate - plastic is OK but how much abuse is it going to take.
    Exhaust
    Exhaust pipe guards
    Air filter
    Crash protection - cause we all need it sooner or later.

Derestricting and powering up the motor.

Discuss ...... :cheers:
  2. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Jrk2478 likes this.
  3. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    That is my plan. Benefits of having your own machine shop. :) I already bought the threaded rod.
  4. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    The track days we run over here sliders are mandatory, the track operators always flinch when a bike goes down.
    James Patton likes this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Pipe and JD 6X EFI tuner make the bike have about 4-5 more HP and run WAY better even though it runs great as is.
  6. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    They have one for the 449/511 now. JD had my personal TE511 for the last week or so and on his dyno / sniffer for setup. Should be done now. We (Motosportz) will have them next week.
    J.R. likes this.
  8. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 Supermoto! and a BUNCH 'O parts
    Cool to see this thread. Wonder what little quirks will need changing on these bikes as you guys find them.. :thinking:
  9. djdougiedoug Husqvarna
    A Class

Will also be looking at this thread with interest.
    Just bought a brand new SMR511 from Husky Sport in the UK and still running it in so will be leaving the engine well alone.

At present there doesn't seem to be much dedicated SMR511 products out there to buy.
    So far I'm looking to buy some Polis SM handguards from the US.
    I presume I need the tapered handlebar fitting kit???
    [IMG]

I really miss having a rev counter so looking to add one of the following
    Acumen PD8 Rev counter shift light, I might even fit a their gear indicator as well.

[IMG]
    or a Trailtech TTO
    [IMG]
    little_twin likes this.
  10. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    We geared our demo up, went to a 40t rear sprocket to drop the engine speed a little on the open road. It's still plenty quick enough through the gears but cruises better in 6th now.

The carbon sump guard looks real trick too IMHO.

Dave
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  12. Huskymotardman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Posted this in another part of the site, but might as well share it with other 511 SMR owners, so far fitted akra, acerbis rally pro's, got rid of mirrors, changed front for guards to white because there was to much black at the front, also de-restricted to run the pipe, since i have had that done bike is alot more responsive and no trying to stall when going down through the box.
    to come: sort ugly rear end out, white side panels with new graphics, shorter front brake lever as stock is just touching hand guards and any suggestions are welcome :)
    [IMG]
  13. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Acerbis RallyGuards
    I installed a set of Acerbis Rally Guards on mine last night. In the end they fit fine but it required a bit of screwing around to get them to fit.

Clutch Side:
    The clutch banjo fitting has to be loosened and rotated up so the clamp will fit.

Brake Side:
    As noted above, the brake lever is way too long. I loosened the master cylinder and moved it as far inboard on the bar as possible but the lever still hits the guard when the supplied spacer is used. I solved the problem by machining up a longer bar end spacer so the guard sits out a bit further to leave room for the brake lever. Benefits of having your own machine shop. :)
  14. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Adjust shift pedal.
    The shift pedal location as installed by the factory is ridiculously high making it nearly impossible to shift reliably while seated.

Adjusting the pedal has to be a bad joke. The "engineer" who designed the shift pedal arrangement should be beaten to death with a large wrench. It is such a ridiculous arrangement of parts you have to wonder what they were thinking. To adjust the shift pedal the skid plate has to be removed and the rear wheel loosened so the chain can be loosened on the front sprocket.

Getting at the bolt that secures the shift lever is an exercise in frustration. The frame rail is in the way so the only way to do it is to bend a long hex key so it will clear the frame rail. You end up with a tool that is only good for that one job and even then it has to be done 1/4 turn at a time. :(

Then, once the retaining bolt is removed, the pedal won't come off the splines because the chain is in the way. Hence the need to loosen the rear wheel, get the chain off the rear sprocket and wiggle the chain out of the way of the shift pedal so it can be removed.

The job can be done but it isn't something I'd want to do more than once. Breaking a shift pedal is gonna suck!
    fasteer likes this.
  15. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Adjust Brake Pedal
    This is a lot easier than the shift pedal. The actuation pin that screws into the clevis comes out of the master cylinder easily so you can pull it out and adjust it in your hands without having to fit a wrench into a confined space. Just pull the split pin and remove the retaining pin and the actuator comes right out.

I am an ex-roadracer so I like my pedals set low for the sitting position and I like to keep my foot on the peg because that makes it easier to be precise with the rear brake. In order to adjust the brake pedal down as far as possible, I had to trim off the end of the actuator pin so it wouldn't hit the pedal itself. That is fairly simple to do and also common requirement with most bikes.

The eccentric pedal stop is kind of a cool arrangement. To adjust the height of the pedal stop the eccentric is loosened and rotated. It is a simple yet effective solution that offers infinite adjustability.
  16. Huskymotardman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    I had exactly the same problem, it must have been about an hour of frustration and stubbed fingers that i got mine done, i didn't think about the rear wheel trick, i do not want to do it again, sod breaking that thing! :banghead:
  17. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    With a bit of research I have been able to confirm the HiFlow HF611 is the correct oil filter for the 511. I found some for cheap on Amazon.com. Even with the shipping they will end up costing 1/3 what I paid at the dealer.
  18. 70RSMAT Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've got a load of bits to go on mine, including a translogic quickshifter, 5" rear rim, chain, tyres, 39tooth rear sprocket. I'm just waiting for payday to get them fitted!

I've also put numberboards on which look cool, and black acerbis handguards.

I'll put some pics up once its sorted
  19. Huskymotardman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    what 5 rim you got? i cant find anything i want to fit a 160 on it.
  20. 70RSMAT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Its a warp 9, looks good but i dunno how well it fits yet, 5" rims aren't listed but if you email them they can do you one