Northwest Fall Gathering in Bend ?

Discussion in 'West - USA' started by Russ Henry, May 27, 2014.

1. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    I was excited for this year, and got mostly prepared (more on that later) and loaded up on Sunday. I wanted to leave reasonably early on Wednesday to have a little bit of "quieter time" with Gramps (who said he'd arrive Wednesday) and Steve who is always there ahead of everyone else. The bulk of our local group planned to come over on Thursday. I got a message from Bean saying he was coming overnight Wednesday, then another saying he'd leave after 2 pm, then "screw it I'm leaving Wednesday morning!" HAHAHA! He might've been a little excited too ;) - and there was a plan afoot for the TB100 - 100 miles of trails to celebrate Bean's 50th birthday :)

Wednesday morning I threw the last few things in the Ether Bunny van, triple-checked all the oils (again), and headed to BMP to pick up one of "Bill's personal bikes for his friends to ride." I knew the Terra wouldn't fit inside, so it would be the TC250, FE250, or XC300. Bill and I loaded up the XC300 and I was promptly eastbound around 11:30. I texted Bean that I was eastbound and he replied with a pic of the pass - he was about halfway there already.

Two Italians and a Spaniard...As a former Bultaco and GasGas owner my SMOGgy little heart was pitter-pattering.
    [IMG]

I made The Turn at about 2:30 (whenever I posted it earlier)
    [IMG]

Advance Party camp, and Steve was already there as well, parked off in the distance (those Xcuvators are notorious separatists).
    [IMG]

Bean and the lineup. The "For Sale" sign jokes began immediately.
    [IMG]

Gramps and Jason arrived a couple of hours before dark, Gramps' bike was feeling left out of the lineup so it got a balloon.
    [IMG]

We gathered some wood, built a modest (by this group's standards) camp fire, had dinner and enjoyed some delicious adult beverages while telling lies around the fire. We all retired fairly early.
    bigjon, BILLF, Phaeton and 3 others like this.
  2. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thursday morning a modest party gathered up and we went for a nice 40-ish mile ride before the bulk of the Gatherers arrived.

Jason, myself, Gramps, Steve, Doug, and Bean.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

A big train of folks began arriving after we got back, including Travis (Phaeton) and his son. They brought their TXT280, which I regrettably (but my wallet doesn't regret) didn't make opportunity to try out.
    [IMG]

Jeff and Bean and I took a quick spin before dark Thursday, they wanted to try out the XC300 and the FE250, and I rode my TC450.
    [IMG]

The lineup after dark
    [IMG]

Mason brought his XR70. Hijinks abounded.
    [IMG]

We had a more normal camp fire, and with the larger bulk of the group having arrived, we spent a long evening swapping stories and enjoying even more delicious adult beverages.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    BILLF likes this.
  4. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Friday, Big Ride Day, time for the hundred-miler to celebrate Bean's 50th birthday! For many it was almost another Hangover Scramble. We ran the TB100 in two loops, the A Loop to the north and stopping back at camp for...Um...Fuel, and the B Loop to the south.

Launch for the A Loop.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Back to camp, a bunch of guys (maybe about half) decided they'd had enough, but after a short break nine of us decided that by golly we talked about doing 100 miles, let's GET IT ON so we fueled and took off again.
    [IMG]

But first...Let me take a selfie
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The B Loop completed, and we were 6 miles short! A small handful of guys completed the 100 miles, only Bean, Jeff and Ryan I think did it. And Bean hopped on his cherry '94 CR500 to finish it. I was "gassed" from the stiff XC300 beating me up, so I wussed out and there aren't any pics of that part.

After the TB100's conclusion, Jeff presented Bean with his trophy, representing the three things he likes best: Bikes, Babes and Beer
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

We had a big campfire that night, and celebrated Bean's birthday to a level that cannot be put on the internet.
    [IMG]

A very late night, there were many that met themselves getting up when they went to bed.
    bigjon, BILLF, Phaeton and 2 others like this.
  5. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Saturday morning a few of us stumbled our way out into the light and went for a nice and easy ride. Val and Davey had arrived in the wee hours of the morning, and though sleep deprived, were itching to ride. That club had many members, so we went for a nice and easy medium loop.
    [IMG]

We hadn't been to the East Butte fire lookout yet that weekend, so off in that direction we went.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Looks like blue skies with a few fluffy white clouds, doesn't it?
    ...Not so much.
    [IMG]

We were *almost* all the way beck to camp when tragedy befell my trusty TXC250 (remember when I said "mostly prepared" above?): One of the front wheel bearings decided to disintegrate.
    Tusky thinks I'm a dumbass. I agree.
    [IMG][IMG]

I called on the radio for the hook, so everyone finished the ride with Val hanging out with me and Davey up the service road to mark the turn. Ryan and Jeff came, we loaded up the wounded warrior and headed to camp. On the way back to camp Ryan had to keep speeding up the wipers, it was starting to rain again. Apparently while we were gone it was a little breezy, we were met in camp by several pop-up canopies that were tied in knots and/or broken, and water was starting to move around on the ground again. So we hustled up and got all stations mostly squared away and secure, and headed out on another wood-gathering mission.

[IMG]

Three pickup loads of wood went on the fire, with most of the fourth held in reserve for after dark.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Bill had arrived late Saturday afternoon, and once everyone had gathered around the fire, Bill drew names out of the hat and once again gave away some really fun Husky goodies. Thanks again Bill for the goodies, and for sending your new FE250, TC250, Terra, and GasGas XC300 for us all to try out! After the giveaways, the party continued longer and stronger into the night than I could handle at that point, so I pulled the "old man" card and went to bed.
    john01, bigjon, Phaeton and 2 others like this.
  6. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Saturday morning we were greeted with...SNOW?!? Now we really did have everything, from dry and dusty when we'd first arrived, to torrential downpours, to gusts of wind that blew canopies around the campground, and now it had cleared overnight and chillied off.
    [IMG]

Most folks packed up and left pretty quickly and early, but a few of us stayed and helped pick up camp, and Bill got to take a quick rip through the woods with Val, Davey, Kelly and Monty.

I got word from R6Jon that it was snowing on top of the hill, and at that point most of us that were left kinda got the hurry-up on and bugged out soon after.

Santiam Pass on the way home
    [IMG]

A great vacation, a great time, some great riding, and all with a bunch of great folks! I have a bunch of video to go through, if there's anything epically awesome I'll post some of it.
    BILLF, john01, bigjon and 5 others like this.
  7. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Perfect weekend! Thank you for all the pictures
    bigjon and BILLF like this.
  8. tom bean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 KTM 200 , 1999 TM 250EN, 530 EXC
    Thanks everyone , Jeffery for my TB100 trophy, Jon for all your pics , BMP and everything and all you guys did to make my 50 Bday awesome ! Best one ever! would not have wanted to do anything else or different ! AMEN- TBEAN
    JonXX likes this.
  9. tom bean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 KTM 200 , 1999 TM 250EN, 530 EXC
    I forget to mention and Im sure it goes without saying we do the TB100 every year! Im sure Gramps will be the first one to say Im in!
    JonXX likes this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I did that every night ha ha ha. Brought a 6 pack of beer for the weekend and never opened one!!! I'm officially old. I did end up following Ryan and a few guys back to camp to get the truck to pick you up. Those three were fun to tag on to and were hauling pretty good.
    JonXX, BILLF and LandofMotards like this.
  11. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Sure feels good to wear shorts again and get the Husky ready for the next adventure! No broken turn signals on my small tip over on day one (who left that split rail fence in the corner?) and the 310 just ran flawlessly. Was fun to meet and ride with a great group over the weekend and put some names to some interesting profile pictures. Sorry not to have met more of the group and been there around the camp fire but a good time was had. Will be back in spring!

_GGP1716.jpg
    BILLF, john01, Xcuvator and 3 others like this.
  12. Prizmblue Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Triumph
    That was a blast!!! The best weekend I've had all year. After being off dirt for almost 30 years i had a few questions and by golly i got'em answered. And it was fun to ride with others and sorta gauge my abilities. I now see the older i get the faster i was!!! If anyone ever wants to ride out at China Hat and doesn't mind another bike I'd like to ride along. So anyway here's some more camp photos. Had a great time (Me and my 06 TE450 Huskyosaurus!) Rick. fall gathering 010.JPG fall gathering 011.JPG fall gathering 012.JPG fall gathering 013.JPG
    Captain Diva, JonXX and Johnrg like this.
  13. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Enjoyed meeting you also John... looking at the pic reminds me I have to wash mine now... :)
    BILLF, Xcuvator, Phaeton and 2 others like this.
  14. r6jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    16 701 Enduro on 17's :)
    Other Motorcycles:
    a FE450 soon
    That's a damn good writeup Jon! It makes me feel like I was there two days earlier, nice work. I had more fun than a box full of hammers on Saturday and Saturday night.
    JonXX, BILLF and Motosportz like this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Were you the guy with the oHlins that did the loop with us? Good meeting you.
  16. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That was EverFree (Dave) with the Ohlins... Prism Blue had the 06 Husky TE450
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  18. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
  19. buttstock Husqvarna
    AA Class