1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

NO BMW map, or alternative solutions in the UK

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MaDProFF, Jun 14, 2013.

1. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    The meme that someone is hiding something strikes me as out of place here.
    • Zip-Ty, who is NOT a dealer, found a set of maps ... maybe or maybe not due to their involvement with Husqvarna racing, or through some other channel (BMW dealer? clever programmer?).
    • We have seen some evidence of SOME dealers installing a set of "open pipe/Akra/#3" maps. I see both US and Finland mentioned in this thread.
    • We havent seen any evidence that somehow Husqvarna is hiding anything in this scenario
    • TE maps are deliberately configured to meet various emissions laws which Husqvarna has an obligation to honor.
    • Those who have an upgrade they are willing to provide dont seem to be gouging anyone.
    • Ignorance or other priorities seems to be the main reason we dont have more dealers installing upgraded maps.
      • Note that Zip Ty themselves discovered only a week ago that they cant apply the maps to TXCs, and have reported one TE449 that wouldnt take the maps.
    • All indications are that this is evolving information and that at some point we will have some validation that the Akra maps are the #3 Maps or not, and it will become clear who has the ability to apply the maps and which models they are effective on.
    street2dirt and Tinken like this.
  2. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    Although I was not referring to anyone in particular, but It is Zip-Ty who calls the map 3 BMW, so now are there 4 maps?
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    There seems to be some implication that Zip Ty needs to help dealers around the world find the right maps....I disagree.
    I dont think it matters if they call them the 'smurf pony maps' (although there is one recent post where Tinken actually gave a more technically descriptive name).....

If they were any good at marketing they would call them the Afterburner Turbo Lightening maps and sell them for $159 IMHO. Similar value to the JD Tuner and way cheaper than the Power Commander.
    James Patton likes this.
  4. Mojorod Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 2013, WR125 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    Why?
    I descibred my problem with stalling engine, "flame outs" for Husqvarna Sweden. Reply was that 2011 and 2012 bikes have available upgrades, but none for 2013. I mentioned this excellent forum and I´ve read there´s a BMW map #3 which ZipTy installs. -Oh yes, ZipTy is the Great One over there, but we don´t have any other maps for 449/511 2013 for the Europa market.
    Please give me the name of the company who loaded the map 3, however Soumi is much closer than US and shipping should be fairly fast.
  5. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I Don't think People are implying Zip Ty needs, or should be helping Dealers, should be the other way around, but the fact remains, there is a map out there that only a few have access too, the question some of us are asking is where did it come from, how did just a few dealers get it, and why has BMW and Husqvarna UK (and quite a few other Countries) never heard of it?
    For all we know, it may have nothing to do with BMW, just a name it got somehow, Map 3 could be the "open pipe/Akra/#3" It just would be nice to actually find out.

Can this map we are talking about be emailed to a UK dealer so he can load it onto my bike?
  6. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Dealers in Aus have had access to the #3 map for the past month or so, several guys I know who've had the update are well pleased with the results.

My dealer referred to it as the "BMW something or other" map after I asked only if there were any updates out there.

EDIT: It's not a conspiracy to hide the maps from you, BMW and Husq are two very seperate companies, asking BMW for a map is like asking Audi for Bentley parts. Unless you've emailed or spoken to a technical manager at HVUK or even the guy tasked with servicing the bikes, the typical pleb on the phone/front desk doesn't know or does care about such things as engine maps.
  7. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I haves spoke to both Technical UK, both no idea. Actually BMW did not want to know, they said everything was handed over to Husqvarna
  8. leppis Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 449
    I think models 2011-13 are same with minor changes with same ecu. I suppose 2012 maps are good for 2013. Tinken, any comments?
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    There is actually 2014 maps available, but I haven't had time to look at them. So far, VIN numbers under 100 in the last three digits have been mappable, where as over 100 have been ecu locked. Ecu's that are locked cannot be modified and there for the solution would be the powercommander5.

The Full Akro map is the BMW map #3. BMW produced 3 maps; Stock, A mid map and lastly the Full Akro map. Technically they produced 4 because there is an upgrade from 2011 ecu's to 2012 and there is a difference between the full akro for 2011 and the full akro for 2012 which is more powerful and is what I have been loading onto the 2011 ecu's that are not locked.

There are also 3 maps available for the 2013 310r's, I have remapped two of these today. Map #1 on these models is down right horrifying. Not sure if power up plugs are available for these at this point in time.

I apologize for the confusion, it was just easier to call them map set 1, 2 and 3 in an attempt to avoid such confusion.
  10. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Awww, don't say that, my SMR is in the high 0300's!
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    May still map, won't know till it's hooked up to the HST. Besides, you should be running PCV anyway.
  12. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Not fussed with more power, I fall off enough as it is :P Smoother running is where it's at (and I have no money for a PCV). Are you finding more '11 or '12 model ECU's locked?
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Model year makes no difference.
  14. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    And those VINs are TE SM?
    My 11 TXC was ...33 and would not map.
    Ive got a TXC ....82 if you want to try another one.
  15. Mojorod Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 2013, WR125 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    Why?
    ..887 I'm so screwed for a map#3. Remains the PCV alternative. Just bought new helmet and boots, must talk very sweet with my wife...

Attached Files:

16. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine was 276 and took the Akra map no problem. I know of an SM that would not accept a map change though.
  17. Karnage Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    I had a conversation directly with Husqvarna about mapping and using the Akro on the road. This is basically what I was told.
    The countries that were supplied bikes with the Akropovik exhaust have a different ecu/map to the countries that didn't. By installing the Akropovik exhaust and enabling Map II it changes the mapping to suit the supplied Akropovik exhaust and disables the O2 sensor and the bike no longer meets emissions regulations, thus rendering the bike for "off road use only".
    I don't mean to rattle the beehive, but there seems to be a bit of miss information about the matter, hence why I contacted the manufacturer, I would suggest others do the same before deciding what action you take.
    Looking at this objectively, how would BMW have a map for the G450X which has different gearing, headwork and cam, suit the Husky better?
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    TE/SM's It might be a random thing.
  19. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Head is the same except 511 has relief machining. Cams are the same on the TE/SM's. Gearing is different, but that wouldn't make the engine run differently.
  20. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    I am not sure how that map is better, I just know after having the FMF instead of the stock pipe with catylitic converter
    The bike ran better but was still very lean. After the remapping bike ran like I think it should, not lean, more power
    Everywhere, no low speed stalling, much snappier throttle response, pulled better at high RPM in top gear.