1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

NO BMW map, or alternative solutions in the UK

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MaDProFF, Jun 14, 2013.

1. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    TE449 2013. So far road use with 17" rims. smaller rear sprocket

Main concerns:-

1/. The Rev Overrun when throttle shut off, I find it annoying using it on the road,
    2/. Engine quite lumpy low to mid rev range, does not like to hold a constant rev when at the lower end of the rev range, fine after that.

I do not think I suffer from the flame outs, we call stalling, it has stalled a couple of times but personally I blame me more than the bike.

I run Super Unleaded, ie 98 Octane

I have tried to source the BMW map, and no one has it and pretty well no one has heard of it in the UK, Tried BMW, and Husqvarna direct, My Dealer has looked into it.

Does anyone know the origin of the BMW map, was it made for the US due to your fuel being different to the UK? is it available anywhere else in the world?

Lets assume I cannot get the BMW map, would a good alternative be a Power Commander 5 set up:-

1/. Would that solve all my issues?
    2/. Does it increase power that much?
    3/. Does it make a much smoother / Harder pull from lower revs.
    4/. Is it worth the extra money for the Auto Tune which same the cost of a custom map being made?
    5/. If I change anything else after PCV and autotune have been fitted will the auto tune adjust the map automatically to suit?

The down side is I have to pay for it.

I also noticed I have no Lambda Sensor on my Bike? thoughts on this?

I am not that Keen to spend Best Part of £500-00 on a Bike that I bought for cheap fun, but tbh I do love riding it on the roads, I would love some more power and lower the gearing more,
    Not that is not go well at present.

I need to make a decision though
  2. motomanic Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm in Essex and am also also seeking a re-map , as I have a JD Tuner fitted, which makes a big difference, but revs out to quickly, probably not noticeable off road, I spoke to Husky sport, and they can re-flash to suit Akro end pipe, and so can Freestyle, your local dealer.
    Have you spoken to these ?
  3. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    I can only tell you what I did, FMF, open exhaust map. = bike rips. I don't know how much shipping is to
    California, USA for your ECU, but if the cost is not prohibitive, that may be your best bang for your buck.
    The reflash, map load is 40.00 plus shipping, if zipty is ok to do one from the UK (Tinken?)
    The PCV is the hot setup, though I don't feel the need for it after the map was loaded.
    I have used Power Commander on a couple of street bikes and it worked very well...
    By all accounts it does the job on our bikes. Try a call to zipty and see if they can do it,
    and go from there....good luck, hope you get it rippin.
  4. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    Thanks for replies.
    I have the right map for my Exhaust it is an Akropovic, My Dealer tells me. it is showing Race Map 2, tbh I am not really after a huge increase, Power wise, infact it is pretty dam quick, I do not have any probs generally keeping up with mid range bikes in acceleration (up to 85 ish), it is the overrun I want sorted, and want smoother running at lower end of the revs.

If I go PCV route I take it no need for a BMW map?

Motomanic heh not too far, gonna be at the 7diner (Halstead) tomorrow morning with a few people out on bikes.
  5. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I think Race Map II just means that the Plug is in.
    Each set of Maps has 2 positions...Plug in/Plug out
    I know that Tinken had problems with one TE449 ECU not taking the #3 map set, so you should check directly with him about remapping yours if you are still interested.
  6. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I actually cannot acquire the map in the UK so Far
  7. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Right, but Zip-Ty does business internationally....
  8. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I was hoping from a few more comments with people running PCV and Autotune :(

I also would like to know more about this BMW map, I Need to know more about it so I can get Husqvarna UK to source it or find out why UK does not have it available
  9. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    Wish I could help, my dealer in Springfield, Il. Found it for me, and the results were very good.
    Many of us have used it. Ask for the open exhaust map, maybe they can see that on their computer.
  10. motomanic Husqvarna
    A Class

We can get the Full Titanium Akroprovic map, but if you are running the Akroprovic end can supplied with the bike , it could run bad, too much fuel and to hot, others on here would have a better idea of the affects of that, I could be wrong as this could be the Holy Grail us Brits are searching for.
  11. zaskar98 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Have you tried adjusting the air bleed screw? Fixed all my probs with a hanging throttle. I'm running plug in and supplied Akro can. Adjusted screw to 2 1/2 turns out and then gave an extra 1/4 turn for the Akro (as recommended on here) & now runs spot on, no stalls ( a flame out is an aeronautical term used in relation to jets btw), runs perfectly, don't know what all the fuss is about:)
  12. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I have adjusted and it has helped a lot, but I think my biggest point is if there is a map out there that makes the bike run better, then Why cant I / (We) have it in the UK :(
  13. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:

I think you 'can' but nobody has solved the puzzle yet. Somewhere there is probably a dealer with the access and time and motivation to be able to find it and apply it. Someone who is a combined BMW/Husqvarna dealer seems like the most likely path...Many dealers in the US are also not involving themselves in this, partially because Zip-Ty is making such an attractive offer they dont need to bother. Everybody cant be an expert at everything; I expect a dealer at at small town in the hinterlands to be an expert at parts interchange and fabrication using baling wire and duct tape, leaving the computer wizardry to places like Zip-Ty or the random location that happens to have technical wizardry available. I support software for steel fabricators and there are many of our customers who dont have access to technically skilled people; Im not surprised to see the same pattern with motorcycle dealerships....anywhere in the world.
  14. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I have tried a BMW / Husky Dealer, they know nothing of it, I have tried Husky UK, they state outright that a BMW map would not work on the Husky, I spoke to BMW UK, they said they have, nor want anything to do with Husky's, speak to Husqvarna. My Dealer has tried and spoke to a few people they say, "no one knows nothing of it".

If the Map is actually a BMW supplied map? I find it odd so many know nothing of it, (No one in the UK) Some people do not think it would be specified to the US only, or Written for US only, I could have a guess, that someone has modified a BMW map, calling it a BMW map and it has been supplied to a few dealers, but it never originated from BMW?

Heh I could be completely Wrong.

If I spoke to a US dealer could they not email it to me, and I can give it to my dealer and they could install it onto my bike?

If it is a map that was supplied by either BMW /Husqvarna it should be FOC and readily available to Dealers
  15. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Husqvarna is in limbo at the moment. Strange things like this are a symptom of that.

In the USA we cannot get the full & revised Service Manual for one of the 2013 bikes, but Australia has it - another symptom.

Hopefully things will work themselves out.

Side note: I seriously doubt that the UK dealers are taking into account what services are available in other parts of the world (Zipty) when they try to answer your question.
  16. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am under the impression that the Akrapovic Map is the Map 3 that everyone is talking about.
    Tinken likes this.
  17. motomanic Husqvarna
    A Class

If the BMW map3# is the 'Full Titanium Akroprovic Map, then could we have some basics from the experts on here as to having a map for a full race open exhaust system when running only a non restrictive end can, Loop in to get Race Map 2. Could this infact be a bad thing and the bike run hot?
    Or is this gonna be the improvement we seek?
    Huskysport have the F T A map available.
  18. Mojorod Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 2013, WR125 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    Why?
    Same problem in Sweden, I´ve asked both retailers and Husqvarna Sweden, they say there is no "BMW map #3"
    I think I´ll send my ECU to Zipty, but shipping overseas takes time. Should be an alternative in Europe?
    mikebru likes this.
  19. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I do feel there is some info missing regarding the BMW map, and some do not want to comment on it.
    For me it is wrong that we should have to take off our ECU, and send it to the states to be uploaded with something that should be FOC and available for everyone, there is something amiss somewhere :(
    henson802 likes this.
  20. leppis Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 449
    Finnish importer and local shop close to me were both able to help me in January. I asked about maps and I was told there is three diffent maps for the bike and I decided to go with map 3. If you ask from Husky dealer about maps, maybe you shouldn't mix BMW into this, make inquiry with the bike model.
    Map 3 is great with akra slip-on, and works propably so with FMF too. Totally eliminates flame-outs and improves overall behaviour. Comes harder down low than with full ti akra, which makes motor smoother feeling and easier to drive. I have no dyno results, but it's all about how it feels.
    If you add TC airbox cover into mix like I did, af mixture goes a bit lean. Adds horsepower, but occasional stalling comes back to scene. Seems to me, that pcv5 is very reasonable way to make perfect bike.
    There is cheap horsepower to be found at will. Map 3 ca. 40 €, airbox cover 23 € makes big difference. Those who don't have slip-on, go get one.