1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

New ignitions?..

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

2. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
  3. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

just you
    oldbikedude likes this.
  4. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    I bought my MZB/Powerdynamo for my 400 from the real Penton back in 2012. Has worked out well so far. No Alan or mention of Joe Chod. If I end up needing to pick up a new ignition for one of my current projects, I'll report back on the new Penton and mention of "Joe Chod".

As to ignition discussions we've already had, nobody has brought up the flywheel not keyed, lap your flywheel discussion. :banghead:
    Anyone here have a personal story to tell about a flywheel spinning on them? :censored:
    If you want really easy starting, run your timing a couple degrees closer to TDC than the manual recommends (just don't tell the husky purists, they'll lose their minds!). :eek:
    2premo likes this.
  5. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    I've had no trouble with flywheel spinning. I did lap it in with valve grinding compound. Torqued to the right spec and no trouble
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    weve talked a ton about backing off timing a bit for several reasons, one is for easier starting.
  7. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I run two MZB ignitions. All I have done is to lap the flywheel to the crank and clean it very carefully. Finally I clean them both again with brake cleaner to make sure there is no oil or grease (wear latex gloves) or finger grease. Torque up to 90Nm in my case. Run it for a short while, let it cool and re-torque. After the first couple of short rides check it again. I have never had an issue doing it this way. I am quite happy not having a keyway. The key will not stop it spinning, it is only there to aid simple replacement of the flywheel to maintain the timing setting. I will also add, that I have renewed both stub shafts on both my engines with new ones.
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    How about the electrex ignitions? They say they have spark at a slower kicking speed. Opinions?

Power dynamo?
    Etc? Need a list of ignitions.

The tapered shafts when there done right no key is needed. Where they add a key is a safety factor. My pvl never had a problem in my 250wr.

With my 55 Willis JEEP I lap the rear tapered axle to the flange. I did this as a JEEP mechanic on all the old jeeps with tapered axles. Then we took a six foot long pipe with a breaker bar and socked up the nut on the flange. Never had a comeback with axle problems.
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the key is only to help find timing. as previously said, it is not for safety or in any way to help hold the weight of the flywheel, as it will just shear.
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

if you are looking for a CR 430 or 500, in the early years they used an internal rotor Motoplat, have you considered one of those
    no lighting coil but pretty bulletproof
  11. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    No on old motoplats. No more get rid of them. Kick back from Motoplats on 80s cases for the big bore is one of the leading causes for case
    breakage. I have a stack of cases from engines i have bought for parts that shows this issue. Most all being thirty six plus years old
    ignitions only find a few in good working order. Plus note the rebuild cost on old motoplats is higher than buying a whole new unit.

Granted the case breakage is a combo issue - worn idle and kick gear, egged out side case for kickstarter, bad idle bearings. But it just takes
    one bad kick and cases are gone.

No Kickback on Electrex as it has a retarded curve to protect against kick back. I buy those ignitions in batches.
  12. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Have you put a timing light on it? The way I read their website it sounded like a different setting for starting.
  13. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Frank. The only unit that I found so far is the 1981 Maico 490. Its seems to have a different setup. No same the unit has the software do it for you.
    I am / will have the with unit to play with it has two curves. not that far yet. Joe may kid me its from the sister company HPI

I traded that Maico for cash another 430 and
    couple other roller huskies.

Their is a lot of riders on this site now using these. Some extras I had past on to them. I am crazy this early spring - have 1 delayed rebuild and 4 more in huskies in process and more planned. Building out my parts. Why not ?
  14. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    Hands down -- get a MzB ignition. It has a slightly heavier FW than stock. All 4 of my big bore Maico GS bikes had (or have) this installed (sold off two of them in the last 3 years). My first MzB ignition was installed on a 79 Maico 400 GS in the summer of 2005...I still have that bike and have had zero problems with the ignition. Also currently running one in my 78 Maico 400 GS...Zero problems. If you want to about save about $100.00, then buy them directly from here: http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/sitemap.htm When my HVA 430's ignitions decide to finally give up the ghost, you can rest assure that I'll be replacing them with a MzB.
  15. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    if i'm not mistaken there is not a US distributor for MZB anymore Penton imports gave up on them
  16. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I removed my HPI ignition from my 490 Maico and installed it on my 84 250 Husqvarna. ( after I bought one part at a time from HPI to make the switch I could of just bought a new kit ) In the end the HPI never fit the Husky I had to do some machining to there adapter plate to make it work. If You read there Web sight on what years there kits fit it doesn't make any sense. They make it way to complicated, the same kit should fit a lot of Husqvarnas of this era. I sent them Pictures lets hope they got it figured out. I have yet to ride the bike other than it started easy in the driveway. I can also say that I think the Electrex that I replaced the HPI with makes the 490 Start better. It was there recommendation and the recommendation from Left Kickers to use the Electrex on an open class bike it make it start easier. I race this bike in a desert race that is a dead bike start. Most of the bikes in the race are now electric start, ( not in my class) and I figure for every kick another 100 bikes are ahead of me and there dust. I was surprised that going from a light internal rotor to a heavier external rotor didn't make as much of a difference in the power band as I thought it would. I am a firm believer that an external flywheel ignition is the way to go on a open class bike if You want it to start on the Kicker. A 250 gets more RPM and makes a hotter spark on the Kicker so an internal rotor works well, if You want more flywheel weight then an external works even better.