1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

New ignitions?..

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    What new ignitions would be better for a 500cr & a 430cr?
  2. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    I'm not up on other types but the PVL is a good choice. I had one on my 76 wr360. The flywheel was very light which made it fun on the track but tricky in the woods. Quick throttle response and lots of wheel spin. They have a heavier flywheel that makes it much better in the woods.
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    the 500 and 430 use the same ignition
    as stated above PVL worked fine on one of mine but I keep hearing about MBZ and there is one more but can't remember the name
    my PVL had no lighting, heard the MBZ does, since you said CR not sure it will matter, but more flywheel weight might help
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    are you seeking an answer that hasnt been discussed here for the last 2 years? alot of threads about mzb, powerdynamo, electrex, pvl, etc etc...have you even tried the search function? it works well for the most part if you use the "advanced search" feature. kind of a waste of the sites bandwidth or members time to ask very broad, vague open ended questions about things that have been already discussed A TON..

i know its not for everyone..but when i found this place, i sat down and started at the beginning at of the left kicker section and read through any threads that interested me. took me awhile but was a good choice. i learned alot of info and was good reading.
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Well actually I think this one could use some re discussing. I remember someone with a user name something like Brill from somewhere in Europe that made a thread a few years ago about some ignition he put together that was possible to create an advance curve of his choosing. It was not something to just buy and install. It was sourced but they were in some place that did not speak English, Europe somewhere as I recall. And it was not $500 or anything like that.

Which ones have an advance curve that can be adjusted as one sees fit?

I know there was a thread on here rather lately about aftermarket ignitions that diverted into into support your dealer (Which seemed like two or three in this country when I tried to search it out myself) that will answer your questions as opposed to buy with a card far away and save something on the order of $150.

I have a pvl on one bike, it must be 10 or more years old but makes just as feeble a spark as the mini 6 and has no advance. Sure it works and the guy that bought it must have had a dead sem or mini 6 when it was purchased.

As to Big Bill I would suggest an electric start or just an electric bike. But if he does choose to start a bike in this section of Café Husky we should do our upmost to get him into something that does not ever kick back and starts as easy as possible.
  6. Donk Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr250 1982
    fran...k. likes this.
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Frank, guys,gals, I'm thinking a compression release in everything. I seen a guy in a video start a 500cc by hand with a cr.

Years ago I would pop start the cr390 on the hill at the T dam. I only stalled it a few times in the trails. Plenty of hills in the dam. I pushed it once up a dirt hill and tried to start it in first gear. Of course on the second try I put it in second gear and off I went. It didn't stop me from riding.
  9. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I use fourth on the air cooled 500 and it does not have a fresh top end. If it does not start I walk back up the hill, get the truck and load the bike to get back up. I used to be able to start the bike straddling it with the left leg. The four stroke starts the best cold, stalling out hot is another matter. I still can start that one with either leg. I remember Freddy Marsh riding around the parking lot on a moped. Kind of have to accept that is where it will end but by then I expect to have a battery bike.
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I thought one of the threads warned about only using the PVL ignition in small bores.
  11. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    I remember reading that also,can't remember if it was MZB for the big bores or some other brand.
  12. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    PM me I can give some feedback.
  13. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Please note that Penton imports about PVL said to me don't install on any big bore 2 stroke.

Most all here are using Electrex units or its sister company in Belgium.
  14. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What did you say about my sister from Belgium!
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Penton Racing is closing its doors, Jack Penton is retiring. I guess no grandchildren want to take it over too bad lots of knowledge will be lost.

Where lucky to have his site for sure. Lots of knowledge here.
  16. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I had a PVL on a 360
    pretty sure that is not a small bore :eek:
  17. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    2premo I read somewhere the older Italian Husqvarna 360 had more power than the te300 of today. Back then the word was the 360 was suppose to keep up with the 500cc bikes.
  18. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

that was the point of it
    in 92 the 360 was a bit over the top as 360's go, KTM was also in that game
    in 93 Husqvarna (Cagiva) reigned in the top end and made a flatter powerband
    in 96 they reigned it in again
    the success of making it more tractable was the end of most true big bores
    I love big bore bikes but will admit they take a lot more energy to ride, still have 500's and 430's but rarely ride them
  19. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

seems the doors are closed, at least their website is not found
    did not try calling them
  20. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Your sister in Belgium has a lots of spark and she has an electric personality. When shes
    on time. Sometimes you have to kick her a lot of times to get her started.

Sometime she just has bad timing !

I am done now.
    cruisetopdown and 2premo like this.