New Chain and Sprockets Question

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nycrider, Apr 24, 2015.

1. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
  2. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

In the past month they have 662/10 Good over Bad feedback, which is a pretty positive percentage (98.5).
    I use Paypal and if it goes wrong, I will hopefully get a return on my money, fingers crossed :cool:
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Hope it all works out for ya. Post photos one way or the other :thumbsup:
  4. nycrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, Suzuki DR650
    Upon replacing my chain and sprockets, I've realized that my left wheel adjusting bolt has seized. I've forcefully tried to unscrew it until it bent and then broke off, forcing me to take it to a mechanic since I never tackled such an obstacle. Possibly the water that was trapped in the swingarm corroded the part of the bolt that was inside the swingarm, causing it to seize up. I would advise you guys to to coat these bolts with anti-seize or some other coating that will protect them.
  5. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well it worked out pretty good. I have no complaints on the supplier part.
    The description was 'fit all Husqvarnas up to 2013' and it was 99% correct for the Strada.
    Interior Diameter was perfect but the PCD of the holes was off by about 2mm total, ie 1mm error on each hole in the sprocket.
    With a bit of careful 'aligning' by using the original sprocket as a template and new CS bolts it fitted quite well.

mini-IMG_1872.JPG

So now I am at 15T Front (Renthal) and 49T Rear (Supersprox) with a new Renthal 114 link X-Ring chain cut down by 1 link to 113.

Time for some traffic trials to see if the reduction from original 16/47 has worked.
    mag00 and Eric Hamel like this.
  6. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Trying to put order together for chain and sprockets but it seems we don't have a lot of choices. Renthal shows out of stock for all 15/47 combo, supersprox has no 15 tooth and no red stealth 47 so if I want to go match set I will have to go with JT.

I have no problem with JT sprockets just odd that there are not more options.
  7. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

An update, 2000 km later I have had no problems and I have not yet had to adjust the chain either. This set up looks like it could last a while ;-)
  8. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    A good source for anyone like me here in Oz with limited choice, is an outfit in UK called Bike Torque Racing. X-ring DID chains, AFAM sprockets. Super reasonable pricing and FAAST shipping. I use them now for all my bikes. You'll need to knock a link out of the 520 chain, but it only takes a minute.
    DeLewis likes this.
  9. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
  10. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    If you enjoy spending that kind of cash on the stuff no need, but honestly, buying it at just over half that cost... same stuff... DID X-ring... I'll stick with having it sent from UK. Gets here faster than any Aussie company I've ever had stuff shipped from too. I'm All about keeping money local when I can, but when it costs me 2x as much and takes longer... just no benefit.
    Muddler and Hulksta like this.
  11. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Might be good, but I have great experience with www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk for most things. Fantastic prices, good stock, fast delivery, excellent communications and the best return policy ever.
  12. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

Bike Torque Racing: http://bit.ly/29oOAkf
    D520-VX-114
    DID Recommended Chain
    £69.60

£70 being half of 85 Aussie-Dollars? Hmmm...
    http://bit.ly/29oOKYA
    PaulC likes this.
  13. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    Chain AND sprocket set. The Aussie companies stitch you up for absolute garbage sprockets.
    WayneC likes this.
  14. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Could not agree more, I avoid the kits, MetalGear however now have the German ESJOT sprockets available individually which now gives a choice between JT and ESJOT which is good to see
  15. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    Oh nice! Metal gear has good stuff. I'm using AFAM sprockets from Bike Torque atm. All my bukes have them. If I was in the UK they would warranty the stuff for 24,000 miles. At least that way you know the stuff is designed to go the distance, unlike so many here. I buy enough from them though they said if I did have an issue to just ring them. Very service-oriented company. I hope one day Australia learns about the concept of customer service and embraces it. Novel and foreign way of doing business to most,I know, but actually does pay dividends. And its wonderful as a customer to feel like my business is actually appreciated!
  16. RockinRod Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    79 GS850G, 99VFR800Fi , 04ST1300A
    Guys,
    I had some issues with the JT stuff and did some more research and found Sprocketcenter.com they list specifically the Terra, I used them and was very happy with the result. If my memory serves me I got chain and both sprockets for like $150...I posted pics on here of the job, I got great advise and when they shipped it was quick ....Oh and they included 3 masterlinks with the parts
  17. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Just purchased Esjot front and rear sprockets from MetalGear, great price, customer service and prompt postage. Also brought a DID chain from the local bike store who happily matched the Peter Stevens online price. Have done 14000k, sprockets are not to badly worn but the chain despite regular maintenance is cactus!
    While I had the wheel off decided to peel off the orginal tyres and fitted some Michelin Anakee 3 and static balanced them, hopefully I can get to fitting the sprockets and chain tonight
  18. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    The Oz wholesaler didn't/wouldn't stock a JTR5-45 rear sprocket which necessitated an EBay purchase from the US.
  19. Biff Malibu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRE 500, 2003 Harley Deuce.
    I ordered my red 49 tooth rear sprocket from Chain Gang.
    Pricey but they last a long time.
  20. Eric Hamel Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada