New Chain and Sprockets Question

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nycrider, Apr 24, 2015.

1. nycrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, Suzuki DR650
    Hello guys! At around 9k miles, my chain seems to be in need of change. It appears that the task of getting a new chain and sprockets is not as easy as simply buying a 520 chain and 520 sprockets. The inner ring and notches dimensions seem to vary on multiple sprockets that I've looked up on amazon. The workshop manual says the front sprocket is z16 and rear z47 which seems to indicate the amount of teeth the sprocket has, but when I looked up on amazon the ex: z13 seems to indicate the amount of notches on the inner part of the sprocket and not the amount of teeth on the outside. Can someone who recently bought a new set of sprockets and a chain, guide my poor and lost soul? I'm looking to get 520 chain, 15 tooth front and 47 rear sprockets. Thank you in advance to anyone who took the time to read and is willing to share their greatly needed knowledge.
    mag00 likes this.
  2. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Just go and buy any 520 chain you like and any 520 front+rear sprockets to suit, fitting an F or G series BMW single.
    Buy a generic 120 links chain and shorten it to your desired sprocket-ratio.
    nycrider likes this.
  3. nycrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:

Thank you!
  4. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
  5. nycrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
  6. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Renthal Front Sprocket 305-520-15 (I got 15 teeth instead of the OEM 16)
    Renthal Rear Sprocket 127A-520-47 (Same as OEM 47 teeth)
    Renthal Chain R4 SRS 520 - 114 Links

All of the above top quality and easy to fit.
    Xtyling and nycrider like this.
  7. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    nycrider likes this.
  8. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Correct Dan, I just bought one of those, but in 49T and from UK. When I get it I can post the Supersprox code number for you guys in USA.
    nycrider likes this.
  9. nycrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you again for the help everyone. I decided to go with the:

JT front 15t sprocket: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AVQJSA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    JT rear 47t sprocket: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AVQO3K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    DID 520 114link xring gold chain: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O85UNE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3E01TT185XJY3

I was able to pick all 3 conveniently with amazon prime at a good price.
  10. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    The JT sprockets are pretty good, while heavier than the Supersprox, they are also much cheaper. I ran some JT sprockets on my Vstrom 1k and they seemed to wear well.

Thanks for the link on the DID chain, I'll probably go for that one when I need a new chain.
    nycrider likes this.
  11. Xtyling Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kymco

I was going to to do a similar Amazon purchase.. but according to amazon this sprocket does not fit the Husky Strada?
    [IMG]
  12. nycrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm not sure how amazon's part fitment system works, but I'm guessing that the the seller specifies which vehicle the part fits, and since the tr650 wasn't around for too long, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make that list. I've actually purchased two front sprockets, one 15t and a 16t just in case I don't like the 15t. Even though the two sprockets have the same mounting dimensions and only differ by 1 tooth, amazon still says the fitment isn't correct on the 16t sprocket, yet approves the 15t. Check it out:
    15t front sprocket: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AVQJSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    16t front sprocket: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5XY4G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Their system might be a bit flimsy with less common vehicles.

Check out the jt sprockets online catalogue. Their database says that this part does fit the tr650 Strada:

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/3942
    Xtyling likes this.
  13. nycrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BTW if you guys do decide to purchase that DID chain I posted you will probably need to knock off a few links. The stock tr650 chain is 112 links and the one I posted is 114 links and for some reason it is 8 bucks cheaper. Also it comes with a clip master link which is apparently inferior compared to the rivet master link that you can purchase from DID on amazon.
  14. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    And YES, they do. Both front and rear.
    Just popped a set of JT's (stock sizes) on a Terra the other week, all good.
    As for the Aussie market, the designations on the JT site do NOT correspond with what is sold here, the importer (Cykel/ Melbourne) has got his own system and numbers under which they are sold/ ordered via the Aussie bike shops.
    Stupid as usual... but the way it is (shrug).
  15. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    A clip link is absolutely fine and perfectly adequate for the power output of the TR... if fitted properly (closed side forward, "sharp side" out... as usual).
    Got 3 of the DID VX2/520's sitting here, ready to go onto the wife's/ friend's KLR/TR/DR/XT etc., all of them with clip links.
    I do prefer rivet-links for anything ~70hp upwards, though...but had plenty of bikes with 525/530s with cliplinks in the past , never ever had a problem (including 1200 Bandits and the like).
    nycrider likes this.
  16. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    Forgive the silly question, but I always use rivet links, so I have no experience with clip links. With "forward" you mean in the direction the chain runs, yes?
  17. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    :thumbsup:

I like the serviceability of a clip link out on the road/ track.
    Getting some stick/ root/ fencing wire etc stuck in the chain/wheel/sprocket, it's a fairly easy way to
    quickly remove the chain to free the bike.
  18. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    That and just routine cleaning and maintenance.
  19. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I have the 15t front from JT on mine and love it. Stock rear sprocket yet. Still can hit the highway, and much more friendly on the dirt, less shifting it seems.

I tried a 14t front, and that was too much. Killed the highway and didn't really improve the dirt experience over the 15t front.

I have been playing with this sprocket calculator, you can get an idea of what might be good

http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/

Then just go to the jt sprocket website and find it, then go to amazon or other and order it up.
    nycrider likes this.
  20. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I found that front sprockets are readily available in 14, 15 and 16 teeth, but rears are more difficult to source.

Rear sprocket details are :
    Pitch 520; Internal Diameter 136mm; PCD 160mm; Bolt Hole dia 8.5mm

The 49T Rear Sprocket I purchased as OEM from UK Husky Dealer is in fact a JT Sprocket.
    JT Sprockets are made in Thailand by JOMTHAI ASAHI CO LTD, and the code for TR650 is JTR5/?? with ?? being the number of teeth required.

The only Renthal Sprocket for TR650 I found available here is 47 Teeth - R127A-520 and no other options.

Supersprox code is RSB-1520-?? with ?? being the number of teeth again.

My regular supplier has let me down and not able to deliver the Supersprox Stealth 49T Rear I ordered before I return to Philippines, so I found another.

They assure me this will fit the TR650 2013 but I am still waiting with crossed fingers.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superspro...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item84db5695e6