1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

NAUTO (New Auto) 430

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by speedyauto, Mar 27, 2012.

1. speedyauto Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nauto 430 & 2011 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    there are only Huskies!
    No, but that girl is the one that complains about you being in the way & slowing the whole group down.
  2. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Have you read that 1st clutch breaking can be due to too much play between shoes and drum ?
    Paul said to stretch a little the springs with a screwdriver.
    Rowan had the idea to reduce the play with a weld spot on steel shoes.
    ( Here a screw screwed on brass shoes to reduce play but not a total good idea if I've understand cause the screw go away even with Loctite)

pc070180.jpg
  3. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I saw in an old magazine article you should open the springs with a screw driver to reduce the play.
  4. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What said Lynn about too much play between shoes !

I have owned 3 of the 430 AE's. I performed a simple modification to correct, or at least improve the problem. The shoes have play in them when not under load. Try putting a small weld bead on the back of the short flat part of the shoe where it meets the next shoe. Grind the weld down to where it is flat, but leave enough weld to act as a spacer between the shoes and keep the springs tight, even at rest. When the springs are not tight, they break easily. As always, be sure you change the oil after every ride. Someone used to make a simple spring retainer that fit under the nut and held the springs in place. In the event that a spring did break, you were still able to ride the bike to get back to your vehicle. Maybe someone else on here has one or can remember who made them. I hope this helps.
    Lynn
  5. speedyauto Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nauto 430 & 2011 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    there are only Huskies!
    What said Lynn about too much play between shoes !

Thankyou Michel, your help has been great. All the springs are tight & the spring retainer is in place & the cover has been welded (pics coming), now I just have to make sure that the cover hasn't warped & I'll put it back together.
    I've had minor surgery & when I recover from that I'll go give it another blast.