1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

My words of Husqvarna Wisdom

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    As mentioned above, the bearing market is full of counterfeit bearings, and the ones that are real have fewer bearings or other concessions to save cost. The end result is it is virtually impossible to find equivalent quality bearing to what came in these bikes originally and if you actually do find an equivalent bearing it will be extremely expensive. This is not my opinion, it is fact.
    oldbikedude and Xcuvator like this.
  2. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    It is very unfortunate that counterfeit bearings are the rule rather than the exception.
  3. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    We can get them but we're going to pay for them. I ran the cheaper double row bearings from mcmaster carr on the 250's and never had a problem with the 78 or 83 250's. On the bigger bores I used the better bearings on the ignition side.
  4. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Even if you buy bearings from a respected source like Motion Industries you are still going to get mostly counterfeit bearings. Any time I can, I buy bearings from OEMs, KTM, Honda, Yamaha, etc. That is actually the most reliable way to ,make sure you are getting genuine bearings and not counterfeits.
    Xcuvator likes this.
  5. SK Marls Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR400, CR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Only Huskys
    Yes, metallurgy has improved, but there are more issues at play.

Of course any worn or damaged bearing should be replaced with the best available bearing, but a 40 year old SKF in good shape is far better than many new replacements, whatever the brand. The Swedes and SKF took pride in quality back when our favorite Huskys (and bearings) were built. They put the best available materials and workmanship into their products. Today China is the dominant force in manufacturing and replacement (often counterfeit) parts. Better metallurgy and manufacturing standards are possible, but seldom used. The culture is about cheap, disposable products that maximize profit. China has flooded the market with junk and the ignorant masses don't know or care, they just want lowest price. Huskys deserve better.
    loony888 likes this.
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    How about the bearings from the husky parts places?
  7. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Pmsl i buy direct from skf i know my bearings aren't fake and i dont think that £9 for a skf explorer 6305 is expencive
    If you go to good suppliers your not getting fakes if you cant be arsed an buy off ebay you may end up with one.
    So hypothetically a genuine say timken bearing from 20 years ago is better than a genuine of todays? Again bull shit.
    Fact
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Wait a minute I just searched the skf 6305 and a mix of bearings came up. One said
    SKF 6305 china?? Is this skf bearing manufactured in China for skf?
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Could be by skf in china, i cant find where your refering too on the skf site tho.
    Either way i will take the new chinese or not skf, supplied by skf over a 20 yearold bearing thats in the cases already.
  10. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    The new SKF right crank bearings (from SKF) have 1 less ball per row than the original.
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Search for,,,, SKF 6305. Then go thru the list I think the address says SKF CHINA.
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I have a international harvestor 154 estate sized mower. I rebuilt the 60" mower deck using the bearings from China. It was like $10 each for bearings tapered roller and cups.
    One season so far and she is quiet.
    Back then I guess I was price driven. Never did things twice though.

I used the double row crank bearings I purchased from mcmaster carr industrial supply in NJ. These has less balls in the cage. I used them in my 250's. Never had a problem but they could of been Czech manufactured I don't remember I use so many bearings.

China has been manufacturing better quality products lately. After all most of the companies are sister companies from here. Either way my mower deck Chinese bearings are doing a real world life test. Well see how long they last.

Just a thought if we look at the cars from Japan there quality was top notch. But I knew just like the other car companies as the demand and production numbers go up the quality goes down sometimes.

I had a co-worker who was slow but he was a perfectionist he told the boss once what do you want quality or quantity?

Meaning some companies just push there products out the door to meet the production numbers quality means nothing.

Let's talk about the 6305 bearing how many balls should it have?
  13. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/ho...-bearing-near-the-ignition.16708/#post-313983

Perhaps this is what you are talking about. a 6305 would be normal (can be just 305 in some places) as many balls as can be forced in. the suffex M would have a loading slot and more. Doing bearing stuff on line is very frustrating for me. It seems that maximum capacity dual row by the ignition isn't so important as they went (seems) to the nine balls per row right at the end in 87-88 It outlasted the bearing near the chain for me.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Make sure it the bearing has the loading slot it gets installed correctly to the husky specs.

What is the rpm rating on the bearing. One must know if it has rpm limitations.
  15. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    What bearing are we discussing? There are two plain jane ball bearings on the drive side, no loading slot 6305? The one on the timing side is a double row. the maximum capacity started when? approx 82? and on the larger models. It isn't like a transmission with helical cut gears as to the slot placement, sure I put it like I found it.

Years ago I bought some parts microfilms of stuff like honda xr400, cr500. One can probably get the same sheets for free essentially, now. I seem to recall our husky bearings are smaller.

"What is the rpm rating on the bearing"
    usually something like 9000 in grease 12,000 in oil does that sound right?
    What is of importance (I guess) is the c-3 business. That is a common designation for continious duty electric motor I believe but the fitment is just a bit tighter and is prefered(comes in) motorcycle engine and transmissions that expand with heat.
  16. DaveM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motorised Bicycle
  17. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was refering to the standard deep grove crank bearings in my bike 6305's
    The c rating is clearance this allows the right bearing to be selected ie no heat no stress less clearance for tighter tolerances, slight misalingment heat different lube select more clearance.
    Now ive been looking online for reasons behind less balls an i wish i could find the page that mentioned tighter tolerances machining costs and lower friction within the bearing itself but i cant was on wiki or rhp or one of many others.
    But i do agree with fewer balls = less loading force but we are talking upwards of 13,000nm of load for a std bearing http://www.skf.com/binary/96-26885/SKF-stainless-steel-deep-groove-ball-bearings_11279_EN.pdf
    Scroll down to bearing sizes select the od cage and cross reference, so one less bearing doesnt bother me.
  18. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The two side by side 6305 bearings can be found with eight or nine balls, well replacement ones anyway? That is a question, is this the discussion. Last engine I did was probably 2 years ago and the only ball count difference In the new/unused bearings was on that double row maximum capacity one. The origional one was such that a ball could move into the loading slot if orientation, gravity etc was just right. The cage in the newer one wouldn't allow. Any one ever tip over find the engine seized but then all of a sudden normal, I am pretty sure I had that occur once.

They told me mrc is what skf chooses to market here.