1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc My second 165 kitted bike and it's the frankenbike...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm sure some would like the info I just don't have EZ access to a dyno. I do have access but would be a full day of driving etc. Also I have seen wildly different info from different Dynos on similar bikes. IMHO if you don't run bikes on the same dyno and same day you have results that show you something but to me not really useful info unless you were building motors and doing various runs to see whats changing power wise. I hope I did not come off rude saying I did not care, that was not really what I meant.
  2. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

rude, no you didn't come across like that.... back on topic.......

......I noticed you mentioned you'd like a little more torque. The thing is you've a 511 (yes?) and with out you knowing it you may be spoilt with the torque of that bike.....Just coming back to the torque matter of the 165, is that the biggest piston which can fit?
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    When I say that I am totally nit picking. The motor romps and is excellent. Also lugs like cray. It is perfect. I am running the Doma pipe, it make fantastic low and mid and the Lectron lets it scream on top. An FMF 200 pipe would make more bottom I believe but love it as is. The motor is pretty much perfect for my needs I was just having some random thoughts.
  4. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    I have to admit, I have NOT been using my 165 to it's fullest potential, until yesterday.

I have clutched it into every corner ever on my 125/65. Pull the clutch in as I'm coming in, give some revs, then drop it hoping to blow up the corner like a true rock-star. I find my clutch finger numb at the end of the day, and stiff for the next two days...

It was not until yesterday, that I realized the full potential of this machine. I have been raving about it for almost a year now, and it just keeps getting better.

I had to tell myself no matter what DON'T USE THE CLUTCH. We were on some pretty nasty hills, that that thing just kept going, and going... Not only was I not using the clutch, I was a gear high. I decided I really wanted to test this thing for all it has, and let me tell you, I'm impressed... It just pulls like a big bike, without the nasty, gnarly big hit. Smooth... I also found it tracked much, much easier not using the clutch mid hill, as the rear wasn't skipping all over the place.

coming into corners, I would also not use the clutch, and still could achieve the same hero feeling when coming out of the corner.

I'm in love all over again. Or wait, is that lust?!?!
    Vinduro and Xcuvator like this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Good stuff and yes, those were some gnarly hills we did. Great day. This is my second 165 and many many miles on them and they still impress me every ride. Perfect combo of power but not to much.
    Vinduro likes this.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I love the way you can be lugging along at 8mph in 3rd, make a 90 degree turn up a near vertical climb, grab a handful with no clutch no muss and explode to the top making traction the entire way. Only reason I ever fail is a shortage of talent. The Lectron carb just makes this even more effortless.

Where is my next Lectron Kelly?! :D
    CelticDude likes this.
  7. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    I believe it is the biggest piston, however, those of you with deep pockets can hook up with Erik Gorr. He has a stroker kit that adds a whole 10ccs to the displacement for about $1000.00! Then you would have a 175cc bike! :cheers:
  8. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    I come back to this thread often. When I bought my WR300 a year ago I knew I was getting plenty of what I thought I needed in the way of power. With the knowledge I have now about the 165 I think that I might have been better off with that. That said I absolutely love my 300.
  9. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Went out Sunday on the 165 some mates in some pretty awful conditions, really deep mud everywhere, chalky climbs with no traction at all, a real bad rocky boulder filled area where I clipped a rock and ended up breaking my little toe (ouch) The 165 is a bloody marvel ! hardly touched the clutch all day only when stuck in a hole or againts a rock, the older type Lectron if to be faulted could idealy be a tad leaner on tickover but I also had to go leaner on the pilot with the PWK so its excused that small fault as in normal ride it would never be noticed
    Still not really identified the pipe Im now using but its brilliant ! pulls from the bottom to a screaming top with absolutly no steps anywhere (like riding a baby KX 500 )
    Mileage _ managed 67 miles till it went on reserve and theres no way the PWK would of done that !!! Have I mentioned that I absolutly love this thing to bits and still cant thank Walt enough for coming up with the things
    Right off to put me foot up (thump thump thump thump lol) :thumbsup:
    spud1968, wallybean and Motosportz like this.
  10. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Slightly off topic: My first race this season is Sunday. I've been going over the 165 prepping it making ready for this race. I've fitted new front wheel bearings, cleaned the crappy TMX carb of any moisture/dirt inside, and from its last ride its got a new float and a 38.5 pilot jet. I've reduced the preload spacers in the front forks along with a new heavier rear spring. The front tyre is a little worn and the rear tyre is good condition..... The weather looks very cold possibly snowing i hope it doesn't snow the course is 12miles of forestry land that can get very dark due to the thickness of canopy and i'm like a boil-in-bag rider because its very technical and slow going in places. This time of year the sun in low in the sky and for the first time i've fitted a light blue tinted lens in my goggles, with four tear offs. Its a 3.5hour race no breaks, only to refuel. A lot of my competition have entered in my rider class (E2) its attracted the biggest entry, so things are going to be tough to be at the cutting edge of the results. The overall result if im in the top 25 i'll be happy any better I'll definately be very pleased.....So the big day is only five days away i can't wait!
  11. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Good Luck Spud.
  12. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Cant think of a better bike to do it on Spud !
    Best of luck :thumbsup:

PS do you want to buy a perfectly jetted PWK either in 36mm 37mm or 39mm and boxes and boxes of jets and needles :lol::lol::lol:
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yeah do ya? I'll sell mine for $5 less than Johnnyboy. :D
  14. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Does anyone have a dyno with the 165? I have searched and found nothing. It's really not a deciding factor, just curious
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    not that I know of. Walt might do one some day soon. If I ever make it up to JDjetting I might take the 165 and give it a run.
  16. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    The biggest problem I can see with putting a 165 on a dyno is that not everyone is useing the same pipe / silencer combo !
    I have tried every pipe I can lay my hands on and if you want some serious top end power figures a DEP from a 2003 on SX pipe is truely awsome but I personaly dont like it but if you like the way a 125 ride it is the dogs danglys and perfect for a real fast 125 MX pilot but no good as a HH / enduro type pipe
  17. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I was going to comment on that next time I rode with you, watching your video from a couple weeks ago you were giving a bunch of little clutch stabs and I couldn't figure out why. It did make more sense why your clutch plates looked the way they did though. :D Letting the bike grab gives you much better traction.

Later,
  18. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

What food and drink do you eat leading up to a race, on the day and why?

If my TMX carb performs super-dooper fueling this Sunday, my next pay cheque i may:thumbsup: buy one of them Lectron carbs. But, and this is a big 'BUT' it all depends on how well i do because i've another bike i can race, so if you would like to vote for my next Husky purchase, please do. So, please vote either 1 or 2 to the following:

1) I finish in the top 25, Kelly is a happy man i'm buying a Lectron.:applause:
    2) I fail to make it in to the top 25 and I race my spare bike.:cry:

PS: thanks for your kind support comments....I'll be in my garage tomorrow having a 1:1 with the bike to make sure she doesn't let me down:D
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Its all rider so if you don't do well the 125 DESERVES a Lectron from you :lol:
  20. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I don't see how you can not get the Lectron either way! But I will sell you a wonderful PWK airstriker for $5 less than Kelly or John and probably throw in a handful of jets for free.;)