My 1k Strada Review

Discussion in 'TR650' started by krussell, Nov 4, 2012.

1. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    In both cases I was rolling on the throttle slightly and it stalled. It will idle forever, it stalls or hesitates when you roll on slightly. Hammer it and it's fine.
  2. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Hmmm...runs poorly under 4k RPM's, terrible mileage, stalling, smells like fuel when you park in the garage. I am betting you have a crapped out injector. Pull your dip stick and see if your oil smells like it is contaminated with fuel or overfull. Let us know what you find krussell.
  3. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Uh oh, here comes an oil check procedure discussion.

If I check it by the book, it's definitely overfull. If I check it cold, or a few minutes after checking it by the book, it's right about max on the dipstick.

By the book:

- run 'til fan comes on.
    - run another three minutes
    - with bike VERTICAL, check dipstick

I'm assuming the VERTICAL part means as if it were on a center stand, not leaning over on the side stand.

Dip stick stinks like gas, especially when checking hot.

I've never added oil, level was about the same when I got the bike new, and right after the 600 mile check.
  4. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Here's some pics on the oil check. Note that my dipstick doesn't have the min mark, looks like it was cut off, has been like that since first check.

When checked hot, the oil is all the way to the bottom of the tapered part.

Looking down the check hole when hot, you can see the top of the oil, rather Guinness like.

Book procedure provided as well...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    The manual says to top up between min and max you need .066 us gal, or .25 liters.

Considering I'm over the max mark about the same distance, that would imply it's 8 oz full. But the taper of the tank may be a factor.

Regardless, I'm going to get some oil out and see if that helps.
  6. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Removed 8 oz, now just below max when checked by the book.

Bike still runs like crap.
  7. v12gte Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, MV Agusta
    mine stalled once right after I got it. The tank was emty-ish, but not on reserve. I was downshifting into second, with the throttle trying to settle to idle, but it died. I restarted OK while still rolling. It has not happened since in 100 miles.
  8. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Lets move the oil issue to your "ooh that smell" post.
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Bills demo bike did that to me while I was attempting to accelerate from a stoplight in Salem OR last week. When I got back to his shop he said it does that when it had not been ridden for some time. Because I rode it extensively later that week at the PNW gathering and it showed absolutely no tendency to do that - what he said seemed to be correct, at least for his bike.
  10. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    For mine, it's like that all the time. Doesn't matter if I've been riding 15 minutes of four hours.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Mine did it coming to a hard stop and back on the gas. Happened a few times and seems to have pretty much gone away. Unfortunately the weather here is such now that my TR will not be getting a lot of miles til spring.
  12. Van Singley Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    18 bikes
    Hello,
    Is this the bike that has the gas smell in the crankcase and poor gas mileage? Check the charcoal canister for fuel saturation, if yes, disconnect the hose from the fuel tank to the canister, see if any fuel flows or drips from the hose. This could be your major problem. Also check the color of your spark plug for diagnosing a rich/lean running condition. If this checks out I would check the fuel pressure, could be too high or too low depending on your rich/lean diagnosis. Also check the spray pattern of the fuel injector.
  13. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Yes, it's that bike. I left the bike at the dealer, so far it's nothing obvious. They are continuing to try and figure it out.
  14. Van Singley Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    18 bikes
    Hello, I work for Ducati, North America, Service manager for the Southeast and Southwest. I find that the most commen cause of poor running is a faulty ECU. It would really help if they had their diagnostic computer! If the ECU checks out Good, there must be a problem with one of the inputs to the ECU. If your dealer has another TR650 that runs correctly, have them swap the Fuel Injection ECU. This could be the cause?
  15. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    You're officially my favorite person here lol
  16. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Thanks for the suggestions Van and others. Last I heard from the dealer they have the diagnostic computer finally, but were having various issues getting it set up etc. Hopefully they will get it working and be able to figure out what's going on. Ironic that a Ducati service manager hangs out here and offers suggestions, maybe Husky should!
    LandofMotards likes this.
  17. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Do any other owners see this foamy stuff when checking the oil hot?

I had an X-Challenge that also had stalling problems and its oil looked just like this for quite a while before it would settle out.
    At the time I assumed it was common for dry sump engines, but I don’t notice it on my current DRZ.

[IMG]
  18. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    FabOneUp likes this.