MOSS Tool works awesome.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by BILLF, Dec 15, 2012.

1. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    For those guys out there worried about purchasing a new Terra or Strada because of stalling or low speed stutter; no worries, the MOSS tool works awesome. We had a bad/terrible running Strada and 2 sessions on the tool resetting idle etc. and its now the best running TRT/TRS we have ever sold. I don't know if Boosterplugs will be needed but we have them coming in next week anyhow.
    Thanks to Charles Jirsa our Husky service rep for spending the time to walk me through the whole thing. Its very interesting how it downloads data during each step and 'voila' its running perfect again. Its kind of a bummer cant see any readings it just does its thing loading and fixed.
    We ran our demo Terra thru it and it runs excellent .billf
    Angus likes this.
  2. ebrake Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki KLR 250(sold)
    That's good to hear. Are there any posted service bulletins or anything that has been put out by Husky corporate yet about this issue? I have tried explaining to the dealership I bought mine at what is happening and the guy basically treated me like an idiot and did everything he could over the phone to dismisss my claims as "imaginary" and just characteristics of the bike when I was trying to make an appointment.

Anyone in the Chicagoland area know of a good BMW/husky dealer to go to?

Still love the bike though!!!
  3. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    All in all is this a user serviceable bike?
  4. AvidR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WeeStrom, C50,
    Rarely afraid of showing my ignorance.... what's "the MOSS tool?"
  5. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
  6. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    MOSS is the tool system BMW and now Husqvarna uses to diagnose and adjust values on the new TR models and L'm sure Nuda in the future here. You can check and reset the specific parameters at where they are supposed to be like idle speed ,fast idle ,cold enrichment etc. Most of the new bikes are just a bit off at idle so it really makes a difference to reset them. Also any program updates get loaded automatically whenever the MOSS connects with Germany. There are no bulletins. The MOSS is just now being delivered to dealerships so be patient in your area . They cost $8K but Husky is giving a better deal about 5k required this year for Terra /Strada dealers ,an all dealer reqiured tool next year.
    The dealers will be glad to help you when they get it in and get dialed on its use, goodtimes I'm telling you this thing works awesome getting these bikes dialed.
    Lonfish likes this.
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Ooh! I need to start saving my pennies! :applause:

Better hold onto my leathers, too. I'll need `em on my Nuda, I'm sure :thumbsup:
  8. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Sounds pretty cool Bill. I guess for 8000 it better be:)
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So can we bring our bikes by and get them updated?
  10. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    A quick trip up Hwy 1 to Salem would be cheaper and more fun!!
  11. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mostly if a problem arises;but it helps the 1600/1800 stutter so we will just do it on set up or when bikes come in for any service.At this time we know of no updates;we are just refining the tuning ss they came from the factory..I know most all our customers will be wanting it done;so the answer would be yes.
    Lonfish likes this.
  12. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I'm not saving my pennies for the tool, I'm saving them for a Nuda, silly :)
  13. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I´m still quite happy with my steam age technology 630 with the p/u kit & JD tuner. Has anyone powered up the Terra or the Strada yet?
  14. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Bill, do I understand that you just connect to the MOSS and it does it's thing without any fiddling or guessing on your part as to settings?

Ken
  15. AvidR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WeeStrom, C50,
    Thanks for the good answer. I took mine to the dealer yesterday for the 1000km check up. They pointed out the BMW logo on the diagnostic port under the seat, but made no comment about making any adjustments through a computer. I assume they'll be getting the MOSS tool. It seems to be a well-run shop. (Eurosports in Asheville NC) They had 4 Terras and a couple of Stradas in the showroom. IMHO meticulous dealer support will equal big-time success for Husqvarna over the next few years. My Terra has been running fine in the last couple of hundred miles, meaning no hiccups or stutters. And crossing the breakin mark, I opened it up some, and Wow!
  16. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    This sounds suspect to me. BMW requires a special tool that is only available from them, running special software that resets the settings to their proper values, and can only be done by BMW/Husky dealers. To me, this is a scam. BMW is making money off dealers by forcing them to buy this tool. Dealers are making money (and therefore BMW) off consumers who want their bike to just run correctly like it should from the beginning.

IMHO, the only way this would be fair (and not a monopoly) would be that dealer get the tool for free and provides updates automatically to consumers when a bike is brought back in.

It reminds me of Microsoft who releases software with bugs/glitches, then requires users to get continual patches to make software work correctly. At least Microsoft is not charging $8k for their software updating tool and an updating fee from consumers to maintain their computer.

Sorry for the rant... just my $0.02 (you can put it towards the update fund).
    Centerline, roscotom and organ donor like this.
  17. AvidR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WeeStrom, C50,
    Fair comment. I hope Husqvarna is listening.
  18. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I would also like to know if MOSS for new bikes is different from the HSS unit I saw at my dealer when the 449/511 Kymco engined bikes first came out. Or do some dealers own both?? IBeat was cheap relatively and got distributed to owners. Ain't happening with this system...period.
  19. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes to the? We don't change settings it does from data collected.Next this tool is for setting and diagnostics.The only money made will be diagnostics after warranty has expired.We are not chargeing to make your bike perform at its peak and don't think any other dealer will either.First tool was Ibeat ;then HTS that worked on Mikuni and kehin injection both. MOSS IS for 650 series and Nuda. Also nobody will charge for updates.
    Lonfish and AvidR like this.
  20. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I tried to spell Keihin on the Kindle fire it kept changing it and every time I type Nuda it turns it to the word Buds,so if anyone sees my spelling whacked out , not on pain killers anymore its autospell on kindle fire,got to figure out how to turn that feature off it ONLY comes on when on Cafe Husky?
    Lonfish likes this.