Moty Vs. Shorai Battery

Discussion in '610/630' started by rocko, Aug 9, 2011.

1. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Since you still have a kickstarter I think the 4 cell was the smartest choice. Save on weight, size and cost. I'd like to see some reports on their bigger 6-8 cell batteries for electric start only big bikes. When my stock battery dies I'm going to lithium ion for sure. Just hope that prices will have come down some by then. With more players entering the market I'm sure they will.

_
  2. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Am trying out a 4 cell lithium in my CCM (644cc) this winter. Had a bad spot when it was really cold and it didnĀ“t want to start ... but the battery pulled be through. Very satisfied!
  3. krisw Husqvarna
    C Class

Well, I thought I would report back after a few more rides on my te250 and give a progress report. Plenty more stalls and stops. Antigravity 4 cell battery still turning hard and haven't had to kick start it yet. And I swear I can feel that the bike is lighter, although, I admit it could all be in my head, but I'm still happy with the purchase. cheers
  4. jester6i Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    I have the Shorai battery (SKU 4897034420074 Model LFX14A1-BS12) and love it. When the FedEx guy delivered it I thought the box was empty! I had previously replaced my stock pipes with an FMF Factory 4.1 which weighs only 6.7 lbs. I was initially disappointed, as the weight loss was not as dramatic as I had expected. But when I switched out the battery, it was as if I crossed some threshold and my bike felt a WHOLE lot lighter and more flickable. This battery weighs 1.83 lbs. Make sure if you order from Shorai that you get the free second set of pads. You will need them as this battery is a whole lot smaller than the stock one.
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

still no problems with my 2 yr old TurnTech 5.0 in my Te250
  6. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    My bike is due for its second replacement battery. Last time I used an OEM on the dealer's recommendation, but this time would like to try one of these types, mainly to save weight.

What brand and model are members using, how reliable are they and roughly how long do they last? I've been changing mine very 18 months or so given there is no kick start backup & I ride in remote places.
  7. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    EarthX is in two of my bikes and almost 18 months and no signs of problems. One bike sits for weeks unridden and not on a trickle charger while the other is my 310. So far so good. The 310 which has stopped many batteries and starters is a reliable starter with the EarthX.
  8. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    I just put an EarthX in mine. I think they are one of the few that have all the safety circuitry built in. So you can use a regular charger without having the battery explode because you overcharged.
    I didn't know that before I bought it, but it is built in the town next door. The company was started by a friend of a coworker.
  9. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks Gents. I haven't heard of EarthX, most of the talk around here seems to have been of Shorai. Not sure whether EarthX are available in Australia, will have to do some research.
  10. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The Shorai Australia website recommends the model LFX21A6-BS12, which is more powerful than the standard battery and Shorai model suggested by the opening poster (315CCA vs 210CCA). Weighs more too at 1,374 grams vs. 830grams and cost is $286, so pretty pricey.
    Motorcycle - Husqvarna - 2011 - SMR 630 TE 630 vs

Standard Recommendation: LFX21A6-BS12

[IMG]
    Our LFX Standard recommendation is the best overall pick for most applications, and has been selected to give strong cranking performance and long lifespan. This LFX battery is 2.33 Kg (5.13 lbs) lighter than the lead-acid YTX14-BS. For technical questions, please see the Shorai FAQ.

[IMG]

Specifications:

Cranking (CCA): 315 A
    Weight (Metric): 1374 g
    Weight (Imperial): 3.03 lbs
  11. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    I have the LFX21A6, its working well after three years. I think the added power is helpful if you need to start the bike on a very cold day.
  12. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have had the MOTY 8 cell for the past 8 months and is working great. It spins the starter motor much faster than the original.
  13. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Just ordered the Shorai LFX21A6-BS12 for my TE630, hope it lasts given the price!
  14. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Now it's a 5 yr old turntech and it is still working fine.
  15. grinder96 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR800, XR80
    people using the EarthX...
    Which one are you using?
    ETXA
    ETXB
    ETX18C

I dont see a difference between A & B the 18c is larger with more CCA's....size looks like all three are a little smaller then stock but maybe the 18C being .1 longer..
  16. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    I put an 18B on mine $184.
    I had to pretty much use all the pads supplied to make it fit tightly in the battery compartment. This thing is a lot smaller than the old one.
    No issue cranking the bike.
  17. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

mine is good so far...expensive, but good.
  18. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    amazingly light compared to the monster that was in there, that's for sure!
  19. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
  20. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Ill be needing a battery this season, I'm still on the 2011 OEM battery.
    I keep it on a tender but it's starting to lose a little oomph.