Moty Vs. Shorai Battery

Discussion in '610/630' started by rocko, Aug 9, 2011.

1. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    I am thinking of buying a lightweight battery but was wondering which one you guys use and how you like them.

I see the stock battery has 200 CCA and is 8.1 lbs.

The recommended shorai battery LFX14A1-BS12 has 210 CCA and weighs 830 grams and costs $153.

As for the MOTY, I'm not sure whether to go with the 4 cell or the 8 cell. The 4 cell says its for single cylinder bikes, weighs less than half of the shorai, costs $95, but appears to have only 120 CCA. The eight cell seems pretty much equivalent to the shorai.

Have any of you gotten away with the 4 cell MOTY?

Had a bad experience with either a MOTY or a shorai?

Thanks in advance for any info! :thumbsup:
  2. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I've had several Shorai's in various bikes and have found them to be excellent in every regard. I have the LFX14 in my TE449 and it cranks better than the OEM battery. I like the rigid casing versus the shrink wrap as well. I had a Shorai LXF14 in a Gas Gas 300 and it transformed the E-start from tempermental to flawless every time.
  3. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Looks like Part Unlimited is a Shorai distributor now... My little ma & pa dirt bike shop had about 15 units in stock got $95.00 a piece. Bought one for the pum-kin.... So, any Part Un-ltd dealer show be able to get one.
  4. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

The 4cell in any version of these batts, from various manufacturer websites, all claim they are for race only scenarios or very small bikes. I'd go with the 8 cell for reliability sake. I have the shorai 150 batt (148 shipped from batteriesplus). It isn't worth the potential headache for 50 in savings.
  5. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I don't want to jynx it, last time I bragged up a light weight battery I ran into all kinds of trouble and went back to stock. Just put a Shorai LFX-9 in the TXC 250 and the Shorai seems to be really really nice on the outside and packaging. Planning on making a padded room in my house with all the sticky padded foam pieces that came with the battery in the box. You will get the joke once you get a battery from Shorai. There is a improvement on crank speed compared to the stock battery and all is good knock on wood. It is just a nice quality battery from what I can tell.
  6. rjdenya Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    05' Honda CR250R
    I have the 8 cell Moty Design battery on my TE630. It works just as the oem battery did with much less weight and space. It's a bit pricey at $160.00 shipped but I'm happy so far.
  7. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I bought the LFX09L2-BS12, 9 amp/12 volt per the manufacturers spec for the 400. Sounds like a deal for 95.00 + tax.... It did not say how many cells it was though, suggestions???
  8. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

At that price, it's the 4 cell
  9. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Figures... My luck, if it too good to be true it probably is LOL
  10. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    I just placed my order for a Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 . I'm hoping it performs a similar miracle for my hard e-starting TXC 250 as it did for Krieg's Gas Gas.
  11. tropicoz Husqvarna
    C Class

I have a Ballistic battery in my track bike. It's a little more spendy than the Shorai, but it works very well, and is amazingly light. Built in the US, and roadracing involvement makes it a sweet package (at least for me).
  12. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

LFX09L2-BS12 working good so far on a MTK XC-W 400, two 4 hour rides with lots of stopping & starting to bull chit...
  13. Gardezy Husqvarna
    B Class

I used and anti-grav battery the thing starts my bike that is all I ask,but at a huge weight saving gain. plus the balance point when your up on one wheel feels more natural.
  14. krisw Husqvarna
    C Class

I thought I would try a Antigravity 4 cell battery for my 2011 te 250. I read on their web sight that the 4 cell could be used for up to a 250 on dirt/enduro use. They say this battery is 0.875 pounds. I ride up Mcnutt in BC which is some pretty steep, rocky, gnarly stuff and I want as much weight saving as possible. I also have a kickstart so if for some reason the battery does quit I still can get her going. I'll post back again later with a review.
  15. BACKMARKER Husqvarna
    A Class

I would like to revisit this thread and add the Ballistic Performance battery into the mix. Looking at a Shorai for the te-630 but the B.P. keeps popping up when i search. How are the Shorai"s holding up ? Can i still run my heated gear in the winter? Anyone with any experience with the 630 and either of these batterys give me some imput. Thanks
  16. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

Shorai still working great for me. Local rumors of problems with the Ballistics longevity...
  17. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

Shorai here and close to 3700 miles and 125 hours. So far, so good.
  18. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My Shorai is working well too.... No problems so far & I have not charged it yet..... 63 hours on it.
  19. capt42104 Husqvarna
    AA Class

+1 Shorai!
  20. krisw Husqvarna
    C Class

Reporting back after my first 3 hour ride with the antigravity battery. Went for the smaller 4 cell small case unit to save as much weight as possible. The web site said I could get away with this size on a bike up to a 250. I ride my Te 250 far up a mountain that I would not want to have to walk down. Stalled the bike plenty of times and stopped to talk often. Started up every time with plenty of juice. So far I am happy with my purchase. Here is a pic of it installed.

antigravity2.jpg