May 2014 China Hat ride

Discussion in 'West - USA' started by Russ Henry, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Phaeton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 GASGAS EC 300 2007 KTM 200 XC
    Rain last night should be epic conditions everywhere. Cline Buttes for us today. Sorry we missed you Kevin and everyone else. I hope the fall get together works out better.
    JonXX likes this.
  2. Auto5guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165, 2004 WB165, 1984 wr400
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 Maico 400, 1974 Penton 400
    Thanks for trip to the lookout Russ. That was a great time.
    Matthew

IMG_20140517_111219_965[1].jpg
    JonXX and Phaeton like this.
  3. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Here's a video of Jon stuffing Pine Cones into his front tire... He Used a pool noodle as a interim tubeless system and it didn't work... We then tried a tube that Gramps had and then popped it... Next came the Pine cones...

View: http://youtu.be/o1XuL5RLwDs

Here is the aftermath of pine cones in a tire after about 8 miles

View: http://youtu.be/_SJpn5Spu7w
  4. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Well I had a rough start to the long weekend with my van puking, but I made it Friday evening!
    [IMG]

I located Russ' camp and stopped in to say hi, we figured we'd link up Saturday morning to ride. I didn't ask enough questions and *assumed* that they were going to roll through camp 25, where I elected to camp as I knew that's where Gramps was (and there's more room, and a toilet, and people aren't driving by constantly). Either they didn't or we missed them, either way, no harm no foul.

I found Gramps and Matt and did a hurry-up on getting unloaded and set up, first time out with the van.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

We enjoyed several delicious adult beverages and Matt and I stayed up pretty late visiting.

I got a text from one of my best riding buddies that he'd be there (from Salem) at 8 the next morning, so we had it figured for probably a 9 am start. Which was about right, Kevin and his buddy (Justin?) as well as Everfree (Dave) showed up not long before that so we got to visit a fair bit before riding too. Matt had taken off that morning to meet up with Russ' crew and ride, and I never saw him again that day.

Tusky ready to go
    [IMG]

After somehow flooding my TC450, changing the plug, and still having to get a tow-start from Gramps, we were on our way, woohoo! A good omen for the ride was that as we entered the first trail out of camp, we were greeted by a very nice blonde girl on a Husky CR125.

Unfortunately it wasn't such a good omen, as my Redneck Runflat experiment using a pool noodle inside the front tire on the TXC250 only lasted about 17 miles. Luckily when it came apart and wadded up, Graham didn't crash and hurt himself, or even lose it over the side into the trees. I think Kevin might have gotten some of this aftermath on video.
    [IMG]

Gramps had a spare tube with him (I, in my infinite wisdom, left all of my tire service items at camp), but I pinched a huge hole in it putting it on. ARGH. So in with the pine cones for some cushion to camp as you saw above. Back at camp, I couldn't get a patch to hold on the tube (I gave Gramps my spare tube because it's only right, I'd ruined his spare tube trying to fix my bike). Graham was only out for the day, so I just put the tire back on the rim and swapped wheels between the 450 and the 250.

We had a decent camp fire that night, and a lot of laughs and of course more delicious adult beverages.
    [IMG]

Last night it rained about a quarter of an inch, and when we got up Gramps and I were pretty excited about that. Traction would be premium, and no dust! We breakfasted and got going by about 9 again.
    [IMG]

I'm 41 years old, and been riding since I was 7. In all that time, I've never had any tire issues on a dirt bike. Well, between the last ride here locally (4 punctures in one day) and this weekend, it's all being made up. This just wasn't my weekend for tires. On the southwest boundary trail (I don't remember the number but Russ, Kelly, Blake and I rode it last year at the Gathering) I smacked a rock just right with my rear and punctured it. But this time I had my patch kit and spoons, and Gramps had his pump, so in about 15 minutes we were on our way again.
    [IMG]

We got back to camp without further incident, loaded up, and headed home. Regardless of the issues that I had, this weekend really hit the spot. And even though we didn't get to ride together, thanks for throwing this ride up on the board Russ!
    everfree and Auto5guy like this.
  5. buttstock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husky Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 GasGas 300XC, 2002 Rokon
    Made to Camp 25 7:30 Wednesday. Did a short 37 mile warmup loop. Found Russ's camp Thursday morning, no one around. Took off on extended tour from North to South and every where else. Never saw a soul. Russ came by Thursday evening and invited me over. Went to his camp later and met a lot of like minded individuals. Really nice people. Invited me to ride with them Friday. Had 11 riders, split into 3 groups. Good idea, as it was somewhat dusty. Even better idea was the 4 X 6 cards with the trails and turns marked on it. Wish I had thought of that. Great ride, no problems other than 1 flat. Being second in line ran into a couple of tail draggers. Narrow trails, fast pace. Fools who only use rear brake in panic stop. Fortunately I never had to lead. That makes it really fun. All made it back too camp safe and sound. Jon showed up about 5ish Friday, got him set up and Matt showed up. Like Jon said had some more Adult beverages. Jon, talked me into a Hot Apple cider. Be wary of them, I think he wanted to take advantage of me or something. That put me on my lips, and I'm a experienced drunk. Also President of Team Drunk. Waited for Jon's bud's Saturday. TE 250 and Ever Free. Had a good ride going till , Pool Noodle incident. Jon should leave his TOYS at home. Some toys should never be brought to the woods. LOL Ever Free and I took off to get some riding in. Cheley's Challenge. Cool trail, had almost enough rocks. more than enough whoops. Short and deep. Made it back, it in one piece. Ever Free had a scary moment below Fire Tower. Narrow trail and a quad. No collision. Matt, was gone when we got back to camp. He rode with Russ and crew. Jon and I had some more adult beverages. Like Jon said rained Sunday morning. Traction was epic Sunday. No dust had a great ride. Oh, Friday afternoon Brian owner of Atomic Moto showed up and we rode for a while. Had a good time . Nice guy. Total damage for trip 307 miles of pure fun at 23.2 mph average. Can't do that it the Trask. Can't wait too go back.
    JonXX, Auto5guy and Motosportz like this.
  6. buttstock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husky Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 GasGas 300XC, 2002 Rokon
    You know as an after thought Jon, if he was a nice guy would have drove his van over some of the trails w/ leaky transmission and kept the dust down. Some peoples KIDS. LOL
    JonXX likes this.
  7. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Dust, what dust?....well, OK it was dusty Fri and Sat....but Sunday was epic after the overnight rain and scattered showers....or at least it was over north of the highway where we were running the H&H.
    JonXX likes this.
  8. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    So arrived in Bend and some showers today and was thinking of doing my own China Hat ride tomorrow. Already paddled in the river so time to ride. Any advice on which trails for a scenic tour? Not fond of deep sand so dusty firm is good and some territorial views. Don't want to get stuck anywhere so be kind ;-) A GPS would be handy if you have one, otherwise if trails are marked a list would be much appreciated. I did have a paper map last year somewhere buried in my map pocket in the van. Thanks in advance. ;)
  9. Phaeton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 GASGAS EC 300 2007 KTM 200 XC
    Scenic would be trails around China hat and East butte. 50 and 60 trails come to mind. I like the 30 and 20 trails. To bad I have to work or I would come join you. Be safe out there and be cautious of on coming traffic.
    Johnrg likes this.
  10. Russ Henry Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310
    John
    I decided to extend my Bend trip. I rode a area south of Bend today called Three Trails ORV Park. I plan on riding China Hat tomorrow. I know the area really well and would like to have someone join me. My cell is 206 999 3426
    Russ
  11. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Awesome Russ... Left you a message.
  12. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:

Three Trails at the intersection of 97/58, just south of Crescent is just getting going as a formal OHV area, but its been a quick way for us Eugene folks to get some dry riding only an hour away....and ETRA has adopted it as someplace we are helping build trails...put in a couple bridges last fall. Not much for overnighting, but there are little towns a few miles in every direction.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5405255.pdf
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I was looking at that the other day. Is there a full days worth out there? 70 plus miles? Fun?
  14. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Its a good day trip ride at this point IMHO...then the next day head up to Huckleberry outside Oakridge or over to the south end of China Hat/EFR.
  15. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Three trails is really good and no one rides there!
    Motosportz likes this.
  16. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Big thanks to Russ for being a tour guide. Excellent day and tested my skills. Also swapped bikes for awhile. Love my 310R :thumbsup:

mapch.JPG

WP_20140520_13_54_18_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140520_13_57_13_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140520_13_55_22_Raw__highres.jpg
    JonXX likes this.
  17. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    beautiful pics
    Johnrg likes this.
  18. Russ Henry Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310
    I really liked it. I did about 40 until I lost my map then I got lost and darn near ran out of gas before I finally found the staging area. They have plans for a massive expansion all the way north to Crescent as well as other directions. Most of the trails are for bikes only. All of the trails are in pristine condition. No whoops!

Attached Files:

Motosportz and JonXX like this.
  19. Russ Henry Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310
    Some more CH picks. John and his 310 R. That bike rocks! Mike the ranger and his two abuse rescue dogs Rocko "the napper" and Vienna. This was Mikes first day at the lookout. Conditions were perfect. Nice tacky soil, 65 and sunny.

Attached Files:

JonXX and Johnrg like this.
  20. Russ Henry Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310
    The other photo's

Attached Files:

JonXX likes this.