Making the Dog run as it should

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Mark_H, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT

Guys, Glad to see that you continue to experiment with this and theorize about what this one-size-works-on-every-engine device is actually doing.

You could bring all the guesswork to an end by purchasing an Innovate Motorsports LC-2, installing it in the exhaust, making a couple short rides, and plotting the results. I think you'd be surprised to see what it is (or isn't) actually doing.

When you were done with the tests you'd have two options:

--Keep the LC-2 and wire it into your ECU like Charlie did and have a proven solution (proven by Charlie, big-t and others) that does add a controlled amount of fuel. Then sell the Magnum to the next experimenter (unless you found it didn't do much).

--Keep the Magnum and sell the LC-2

In either case you'd be out of pocket an additional $50 but would know for sure what was going on. Sometimes you can rent an LM-2.
  2. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Mark, it's possible that the pot has 3 terminals, one leg is a series resistor to the AIT, the opposing leg, is used to time the frequency of the pulse to the O2
    It could actually be quite a "clever" devise
    I agree with Roger that it's not quite as sophisticated as LC or whatever, however if it does give results
    Which is what most of us are after
    Keep testing, you might well be very pleasantly rewarded
  3. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    It's arrived, plus a "test" plug & a " bye-pass" plug, l have requested how best to use them, as yet no reply
    I'm back from the FPSO, unfortunately with a work damaged knee, surgery etc, no test riding for a few weeks
  4. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Hi Mark Quick update, with nothing to occupy my mind, whilst my knee recovers from the surgery, l installed the D-Boost, once l had a better understanding of how it functions - my 12volts was from the Rear light
    I reset the Pot by winding anti-clockwise until l felt the clicks, this meant that one side was at zero ohmns resistance & the other a max resistance
    This added zero ohmns to the AIT
    I did the ecu Reset
    Then with the ignition on, observe the dash temperature, then slowly increase the Pot, watching the AIT temperature reducing as the Pot is wound in
    I set mine at 3degC lower than ambient
    I did 2 short 20klm test runs this afternoon
    Since we have an "intelligent" ecu l understand it may take a few more test runs, before everything settles down
    I'm currently at 8 turns of 25 (?)
    Ran reasonably well, much smoother on the 2nd run
    I'll look at checking with the GS911 at some point
    I know it looks quite crude, actually like something l'd "knock-up" in my shed
    Let's see how we progress, it might be one of the simplest solutions
  5. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Hmm just as I was thinking you were going to be constructive......

Prior to despatch Magnum contacted me to confirm that I required a device for a TR650 as they have different models/specs for different bikes.

Thanks for your advice, there is a third option, but it could lead to you having some unwanted rectal surgery in the near future.
  6. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Suggesting an Lc-2 test is far more constructive than your third option, which would be 100X more difficult for you to implement than sticking a gauge in your bike's exhaust. ;)
  7. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Hi Mark - experimenting with mine - l've been doing 33 klm loops, mix of bendy bush roads & freeway, 2 or 3 times a day, my idea being that each one will "encourage" the ecu to learn what it needs to allow my bike to perform well

l started at minus 3degC (8 turns of the Pot), then 9 turns & just now 10 turns (approx minus 5degC)

There appears to be total of 25 turns between zero (reset) & Full (? ohms)

My TRs running quite well, the odd "pop" on decelerating, no stumbles on part load - l'll ride like this for awhile see if the ecu "adapts" out
  8. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    I just returned from a 885 mile round trip ride from my home in Fayetteville, Arkansas to Rio Vista, Texas. My LC2 and the TR650 performed impeccably. I was happy with the overall performance of the bike. I averaged 57 MPG going down (wind at my back) and 52 MPG coming home (wind at my face). As far as I am concerned the LC2 was the right choice.
    PaulC, DeLewis, mag00 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A bit more info on the progress with Dyna-Boost unit (s) - I am away at work at the moment and unable to test any further, however....

Based on my positive results and that of one other, I know of 25 more TR650 owners in the Philippines who have this week purchased the units and are currently fitting them to their bikes. I have so far received positive feedback from two of these guys already and will continue to gather information.
    They set up a dealership and imported the units for $138 inc shipping etc - not a bad price.

Maybe, just maybe, the 'snake-oil' product has some potential :-)
    engineerk9 likes this.
  10. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    I'm running on +10 turns, plus have just fitted the mark2 3D printed air filter - have done several hundred klms, bike running really well - ride down to Canberra & back next week
    Except for a stall at the end of my drive every morning, the D-Boost appears to be doing everything they promised
  11. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Good news, I am getting similar positive reports from the Philippines guys, although most of them are still out enjoying their first rides with the Dyna-Boost newly fitted and making adjustments.
    I have asked the guy who runs the Husky Owners Club to get them all to give me as much information as possible, ie nature of stalling or other issues and how the Dyna-Boost has improved things and on what settings etc.
    Onwards with the 'snake-oil, one fix for all bikes' and all that !!
    engineerk9 likes this.
  12. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    It might be "snake-oil" however I'm of the opinion that for everyday use it could be one of the simplest & less expensive solutions

My AIT sensor is in the righthand front beak, ahead of both the radiator & the airfilter inlet

At 10 turns on the "Pot-screw" the dash shows a temperature less than 5degC below atmospheric - which possibly explains the single "stall" as l turn out of my drive & the occasional "pop" on the over-run, otherwise it runs very well

The 350klms down to Canberra will be the first of longer runs, let's see how the ecu "educates" itself - then 350klms back to Sydney

I'm intending Cameron Corner in August
  13. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Mark H, Sydney to Canberra this morning, setting 12 turns - ran really well, actually satisfactorilly
    In Canberra, Dahlitz Motorcycles have invested in the Computer & software necessary to update the TR, Strada & Nuda ecus
    Now l will test with the "updated" ecu, see how things go
    I'll leave the D-Booster installed, but on zero setting - l actually quite like it, it does give results
  14. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Great news you managed to get your ECU updated Keith!
    I would urge you to uninstall everything back to stock & go from there.
    Happy to meet up & compare our bikes.
  15. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    We finally managed to get together and do some real time logging with a GS911 from a Terra with the latest firmware

The preliminary information below should not be taken out of context or considered an attempt to flame anyone, it is merely setting out the results of the real time logging

Firstly I am a little surprised that the VR which is common the the F800/G650GS seems to be set to regulate to 13.8 to 14.2v which is the same as the early 650GS and F800GS BMs which were undercharging batteries rather than the updated VR which regulate to 14.4 volt. BMW updated the GS VR to overcome the under charging

Secondly the data indicates the temperature from the AIT is very stable and a reasonable indication of actual air temperature. The AIT is mounted further back than the AIT on the 650GS BM and I expected to see some engine heat influences but saw less than I would normally expect from the GS in city traffic at the start and end of the 30 mins riding which was logged. It is admittably winter here at the moment so some summer data would be worth logging

Thirdly the data indicates that unlike the earlier 650GS Rotax machines the BMS-E on the Terra operates in closed loop for 95+% of the time

This means that use of any of the AIT spoofers will not succeed
    Slowflyer, LED, DeLewis and 1 other person like this.
  16. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Wayne, Nice work. It's always good to have data. I'm interested in some of the other data collected and have sent you a PM. I really enjoy examining these realtime logs and have for about a dozen other bikes. It will be interesting to see what trim information is reported.

The 95% Closed Loop seems quite common for newer bikes. But even on an aggressive ride on my R1150, the old Motronic still manages Closed Loop 40-50% of the time.

Well done!
  17. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well there is a surprise (not). Those that insisted the booster plug works were staunch in the beginning.

Good work, that's several more pieces of the puzzle in place.
    DeLewis likes this.
  18. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Charlie, my Booster plug worked for nearly 14,000klms, it was Pod-mod & Sydney heatwave that triggered the ecu challenges
    PaulC likes this.
  19. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

After a period without the BP at about 11,000ks. I had the TR mossed and new plugs went in. This dramatically improved the bike but still occasionally stalled. So the BP went back in. Currently 24,000ks and no stalls
  20. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry you guys. There are quite a few that use the BP and are quite happy with it. If it is working for you well, I am glad it is. Different strokes for different folks.