Making the Dog run as it should

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Mark_H, Nov 16, 2014.

1. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Mark - from my own experience & experimenting - mine seems to have performed best (maybe not 100% perfect, but certainly good enough) with the following:- GPR single can exhaust, Brisk spark plugs, 3D printed & sealed airbox, AIT at the front of the bike & the Magna D-Boost set at 12 turns, my TR came with the early December 2013 firmware

The OSS latest (July 2015) firmware appears to have introduced other challenges, lean running, stumbling, reluctant starting from cold, early closed loop, instantaneous (nano) stalling at any engine speed - certainly better mid-range - although appears to require wider throttle opening to get any response - the closed/open loop change-over point?

I still like the Pod-mod, however I hadn't made it as neat & tidy as I'd have liked, if I do it again I'll try the 4inch rather than the 6inch Pod, possibly it would fit better into the airbox
  2. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Charlie many of us here in Australia, fell for the marketing Hype - Italian bike with BMW backing - the DR650/KLR650 beater - in 2013 there was no way that we could know that the majority of Husky Dealers were about to throw-in the towel

I'm having great fun "fiddling" & experimenting, my TR certainly gives me what I ask of it, long distance adventure rides, taking me places my ZRX1100 couldn't

This forum has been a great tool

& source of bemusement also

Well done Guys
    Mark_H likes this.
  3. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

I agree, my own bike is similar to yours, 2013 model and it has responded very well to Dyna-Boost set around 12-15c below actual. I have AIT at front in airbox intake, Brisk AOR10LGS plugs, K&N Air Filter, and de cat OEM exhausts. Never seen any reason to do a Pod Mod, and I have inspected inside the box regularly. The bike is geared 15/49 and goes like sh*t off a stick and so far I am very happy with the improvements that the Dyna-Boost has certainly made, I would say my bike is possibly as good as it can get now. A single cylinder 650 is always going to be a bit lumpy, but this engine in the right state of tune is one of the best. Loads of low down grunt, it revs freely, has a great spread of useable power, yet gives good fuel economy too.

The bike I posted the video of has everything same as mine and the owner wanted me to fit a Dyna-Boost as he was impressed with my results. However his bike appears to be somewhat different and the stumble is the worst I ever saw.
    I am not beaten yet, plan is to ride it around some more with the Dyna-Boost on same setting as mine cos I know it is good and see if the ECU adapts back to more normal. The issue may be that he ran a Wuka at -20c for past 3000 km and the ECU has adapted. With the Dyna-boost it is apparent that the bike has loads of power and is fun to ride, until it gets into traffic then it is difficult to avoid the stumble. I can ride round it, having owned a TR650 for a year, I learned the hard way, but it is just the amount of throttle blipping and clutch slipping required that irks me somewhat.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  4. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    One thing you can be sure of, the good days are great, and the bad days are really bad. I knew it was obsolete the day I bought it. I'm torn, at times I wish the prices would plummet, then buy up a bunch, and at other times I don't like the bad review as it will hurt any resale value.

My local shop has a Terra and Strada left on the floor. The Strada is at $5,499 and Terra is priced at $5,999. I sure am tempted to get a Strada. No moss, and I do not know if these got the update before the moss was retired. Mine had the update, and that pretty much fixed the off idle stall and stumbles.

As you say, plenty of great info out there to get it running and happy.

Short happy clip (today), 100º no spoofers ait (dash) 118º. I'm still trying to figure out the camera and editing stuff. That and optimal camera placement and settings.
    engineerk9 and PaulC like this.
  5. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    looks to be running good to me!
    Gas and go!!
  6. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

+1
    Fortunate to have my little terra mossed 12 months ago with new plugs also. And it hasn't stumbled once since. As far as I'm concerned the service wrench can remain on the dash. No ones touching it. Its no biggy
    Lists.JPG
    you guys are exempt:cheers: