1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Living with a 2010 Husky TE 510!

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by danbartol, Dec 7, 2009.

1. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

2. Alexs601 Husqvarna
    A Class

Holly, what a history!!! Never seen so much trouble shooting of my life. You are a great maitenance guy for sure!!

If you have five minutes i have some questions for you.

First: Did you see a big differance between without power comander and with the power commander? As what i can understand you never ride the bike without the power commander so may be you can explain me what doe's the power commander and the autotune?

Second, did you see a big differance between the original pipe with the insert on it vs the FMF pipe?

Third, did you change your handle bar and if yes what kind of handlebar are you using now and can you see a differance?

Fourth: Where did you get the Safari Tank?

Fifth: Did you change your stator or your battery for your HID lightning or you still stock?

Six: I have a hard time to find why you have blew your hose, can you explain me why and the other think, , if you had the heavy duty hose a this moment do you think somethink worst can happen?

Again your post is awesome for anyone who's own a TE!!! You did an awesome job and i hope your TE can be a bike for long time!!!And also i hope i can get less problem than you with my TE450 2009. Thanks again!!

Alex
  3. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here goes Alex:

1a- Have really not run the bike enough w/out the power commander, usually just to test things out and set a base line before installing the PC-V+AT.

1b- The PC-V+Autotune is a special module that allows you to set a target Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) for the bike and the Autotune Module constantly adjusts the fuel injection to maintain the target AFR. I got mine primarily because I live at about 5000ft and when I ride I go from 5000 ft to 11,000 ft of altitude all within a few hours of riding. That's a variation of 6000ft in altitude (2000 meters), also going from 70F to 50F. That's a huge variation in air density for the average engine to adjust form, so I figured the Autotune module would help the bike adjust to these radical changes in air density. They say you loose around 3% of your horsepower for every 1000 feet of elevation gain because the air gets thinner.so at 6000 ft you have 18% less HP and at 11,000 you have 33% less HP :eek:. This was also one of the main reasons I went with a fuel injected bike vs a carbed bike.

2- Yes, the original pipe in stock mode worked very well, but was way too loud. When I used the dB killer insert it was way too chocked up. The FMF was cheap and a decent compromise between noise and performance.

3- Stock handlebars.

4- SafariTanks.com

5- No changes. HID draws less watts than the stock headlamp.

6- I think what happened was that I lost the shunting plug in the PC-V which made it work incorrectly. I then overheated the bike on some single track which in turn compressed the base gasket and caused a leak. This caused pressure from the engine to enter the cooling circuit, which i turn caused the hoses to blow. I have since gotten a new shunting plug for the PC-V, reset the software, upgraded the hoses and have had no issues.
  4. Alexs601 Husqvarna
    A Class

Sweet!!! Thanks a lot for all these information, really appreciate.

Have you hear something about the Leo Vince pipes? I do have a good deal on it. Where i am the altitude varition is between 2000ft and 6000ft. Do you think the pc-v or the autotune can be a necessary investisment? Thanks again!!

Alex
  5. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

From what I've heard the Leo Vince are very good pipes and are relatively quiet.
  6. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here is a bit of preventive maintenance I decided to do before the riding season:

Just got this in from Motosportz. Swapped out the stock water pump w/ the Hi-Flow Performance pump. I'm hoping this will keep temperatures down on the single track:
    [IMG]

The new impeller is one beautiful piece of casting:
    [IMG]

More views:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

If this does not do it then I'm throwing in the towel.
  7. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

do theese have thermostats in them? im sure if so you checked but i had a camaro that blew a hose and was having overheating probs, ended up being a junk thermostat, changed it and never had another prob with the car.
  8. Alexs601 Husqvarna
    A Class

Oh wow, nice pump!!!

What kind of coolant are you using?

Alex
  9. Alexs601 Husqvarna
    A Class

What is the original gearing? Thanks

Alex
  10. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

No Thermostat

Distilled water/water wetter/Honda coolant mix

13/47
  11. GUTZY Husqvarna
    A Class

The best part about the pump, is the cost. Super cheap upgrade.
  12. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

So I just got back from a 4 day tour de-force of riding in which I rode everything ranging from sand dunes, single track, rocky trails, slick rock, open desert and dual sport rides and the Husky ran flawlessly.

It finally seems like all the glitches (keep your fingers crossed) have been worked out and I can finally enjoy the ride.

Here are a few teaser pics from the ride:

[IMG]/

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I do often wish the bike had wide ratio gears instead of the Husky's close ration.

The other thing I do not get is that the coolant level likes to settle in at about 1mm below the radiator core fins. This drives me crazy since i like seeing about 5-10mm of coolant above the core fins.

Whenever I top off the radiator to the level I feel it should be at it just spits the coolant back out at me via the coolant fluid reservoir cap. Once it gets to that -1mm below the core fins it's fine and never goes lower.

Can someone check their bike and see what level coolant it likes.
    Thanks, Dan
    manu, bigjon and BadMotoWeazal like this.
  13. Huskyholdout Husqvarna

14. Huskyholdout Husqvarna

Hey Dan,

Just put a catch bottle on it and the excess will come out and go back in as it wants.

Esteban

PS wanna go to 717 this weekend ?
  15. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

heck of a trip there, wish i had some scenery like that! i recently did the waterpump upgrade as well on my txc450. hope to stop the mini geysers spraying on my leg in slow woods stuff....
  16. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

The husky has a factory catch bottle!
  17. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

The weekend before I was supposed to head out I really screwed myself up:

[IMG]

4 stitches in the palm of my left hand. Boy was I pissed knowing I had my Utah trip set up. Luckily the gash was low enough that it did not interfere too much w/ my ability to ride the bike. The stitches did bother me, so lat night I ended up pulling them out w/ a set on nail clippers. Much better today.
  18. TonyWilliams Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC-511, TE-510
    I'm following along with many of the same mods to our 2010 TE510. Didn't know about the water pump impeller.

Does anybody have a thermostat to install? I don't know what other bikes may have one that would fit inline.

My 2007 overheated in deep sand last weekend, but it has much smaller radiators, and a different water pump over the 2010.
  19. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

tony, i did the water pump switch on my 450 and it did well last weekend for me. first ride with it but i think it solved the prob.
  20. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
    That was really helpful...I am going through all that now with my 2010 TE310.