1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Living with a 2010 Husky TE 510!

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by danbartol, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dustdevil Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE450
    85067314_1281425472060677_7600771853858111488_o.jpg Old thread. But just injecting additional information for anyone new to this bike. 2010 TE 450. Bought mine from my son, who bought it with salvage title from a Harley Dealer in Simi Valley. They had no idea what they had sold the first owner. They installed the power up kit for him, but did nothing with iBeat. All factory setup. It had a bad hesitation from full-closed throttle. The dealer kept reinstalling and fooling with mechanical things, but it was the lean mixtures in the factory setup that caused the hesitation. First owner returned it under the Ca lemon law. My son bought it at a substantial discount. With some fooling around one Saturday, I ended up with settings that make this thing rip! I bought it from him about a year and a half ago, after he only put about 500-600 miles on it. I might sell it back to him someday, if he wants it. Right now, he has two very young boys to raise, and is way too busy to ride.

I replaced the coolant temp sensor right away after reading they can make the machine crazy when they aren't working well, which does happen.

Silencer is stock, with only the spark arrestor installed. Works here. Might not pass in Ca. Will never remove the sparky. Fires around here are extremely dangerous.

Ended up with a short circuit. AFter tracing down everything that could possibly be a bare wire against a ground, and replacing the harness with a few reinforced insulation points, I found it was the horn. Short circuited for good one day, and I just replaced it with whatever comes stock on Honda's CRF450L. Works fine.

Adjusted suspension, put good rubber on it, and it now has about 2k miles on it. Everything is fantastic, knock on wood. I'm known for my suspension setups. Friends always rave about my bike, and it's no different with this. Works great, even stock! I think the shock spring is a bit heavier than stock. The fact that I weigh 245 might have something to do with that. Even the gearing is stock. Just ordered a Safari tank, because I get tired of carrying fuel bottles in my backpack. Some time ago, added a fender-mount tool pack. Meant for the front, I put it on the rear because I don't like the extra weight in the steering. Oh, and it did have a seized up fuel pump shortly after I started riding it. Left me stranded at my buddy's house until my wife drove over to pick me up. Since then, replaced the fuel pump setup and no issues but a battery or two. One thing a friend pointed out is that a weak battery, when you crank the e-start, will rob current from the coil. The bike may have only enough juice to turn the starter, or run the ignition system, but not both. I believe that is true, and may solve a few problems for somebody. With a good battery, this thing fires up immediately.

On larger fuel tanks, seems not much available any longer. Clarke stopped making them very shortly after they started. IMS stopped, because too many warranty returns. They leaked at the fuel pump seal, and they became too much of a field service and warranty problem. A local SWM dealer told me that Acerbis was planning to release one soon, but I have since heard from Acerbis Italy that is not true. I was going to have a custom welded aluminum tank made for this, but I have instead ordered a Safari tank. We'll see how that goes.

I don't have as much time as I would like to ride. But I've been on a few trail rides since we moved here a bit over a year ago. Bike handles elevation changes exceptionally well. Gearing is just a tad too close in ratio. It does vibe, but I've gotten used to it. I've considered finding a blown up SMR engine for spare parts, but mostly to rob the counterbalance shaft and 5th and 6th gears from it. Along with the Safari tank I'll receive in a month or so, this could be my ideal dual sport bike. AT least, if it was just a bit more comfortable to ride on the highway.
  2. Bugsinteeth Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450, TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    Dustdevil,
    Congrats on the new ride & thanks for your report!
    The Safari tank is a quality unit....plastic is strong & thick ( I have a safari on my 08 TXC 450). Bit of a hassle to fit like most aftermarket units.
    It is a monster though at 19L measured. I tend to only use it when absolutely needed. Prefer riding with stock tank if conditions allow.
  3. Dustdevil Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE450
    Safari tank finally arrived, after many hassles associated with ordering from Aus by credit card when you have neglected to set up fraud alert in detail. But it’s installed, and it works. It is indeed robust! No worries with range, as my butt cheeks will be exhausted well before the fuel is. Still need to test it around town to ensure reliability in my installation, but I’ll get to that soon enough. I think I will leave this installed permanently. It will be much better being able to pass gas stations without having to worry about running dry. Planning will also be minimal. Random exploration should be my most common activity on this bike, and I no longer have to carry fuel bottles in my trail pack! 657E6E04-4F99-4790-A7A0-C72446D19557.jpeg
    GreekMountains likes this.
  4. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Nice bike.
    Thanks for posting.
    Dustdevil likes this.
  5. GreekMountains Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450 2008 TE410E
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR600 CRF300l(upgraded) susp
    Is it a full engine split for the counterbalance shaft installation-CHEERS
    Dustdevil likes this.
  6. DCrider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S; R1150R, '72 Bonneville
    Great to see some action in this thread!
    Dustdevil likes this.
  7. Dustdevil Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE450
    It is a full tear down, which I’ll probably only do if I need major work on either the top end or transmission.
    GreekMountains likes this.