Lectron keeps over filling

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Harley, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I have gobs of mile on several on my bikes as does Jake and many other customers with and I have yet to send out a replacement part for wear. :excuseme:
  2. Harley Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 125
    I went out earlier and sprayed some WD40 on the slide seems ok now but it's a little warmer today also. Had a look and theres no real notching other than a light scrape the idle screw has left.

As for tuning I'm still not having much luck. I'm dialing in from the lean side but i cant get anywhere near that nice brown/tan color! :mad:

Set the idle screw for 1.5 turns out and sure enough it started and idled nicely but was lean. Went a 1/4 to maybe 1/2 turn in and adjusted the idle accordingly and it seemed to run better. Took it out for a spin and the top end was also behaving lean so I set my PJ for close to 3 turns out. Seems good when really on the power and idle comes down ok from wide open to idle but the bike is quite hesitant or lacking smooth power in the mid throttle area. To that end I have checked the plug and its showing lean so I have adjusted probably another 1/2 turn in by now and now the bike is behaving worse. only differences on the plug end seems to be that the sides of the insulator have gone black (not the top) and the metal rim has gone pretty black, but again still with the white top telling me its lean! :confused:

Any suggestions as to what I can do here would be greatly appreciated..

[IMG]
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The black soot means rich. Set it where it runs the best at idle through 7/8 throttle and then set the power jet last. The color will come around. Sometimes the plug will never get that perfect cocoa brown but it can still be jetted correctly.... fuel and oil have a lot to do with color. I run leaded VP110 and my plugs are more gray then brown.
    jmetteer and Motosportz like this.
  4. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    I dont even bother looking at plugs when I tune the Lectrons, I just go for the smoothest constant idle possible then set about the PJ screw - Start rich and lean it off till the best top end is achieved and if your rod type is correct for the bike that should be it. I added a old choke knob from a old mikuni and a piece of fuel hose to my PJ so I can even adjust mine on the fly if I feel like it.
    Could not even tell you what my plugs look like as I dont feel the need to pull them.
    IMG_1242.jpg IMG_1244.jpg
    justintendo, jmetteer, Harley and 2 others like this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yeah, what these last to people posted. Was going to say this earlier but thought I would let users post first. Lankydoug's Lectron posts are usually spot on.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Cool mod Johnnyboy
  7. Harley Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 125

Ok sounds like solid advice. It is running worse now after that last adjustment so I'm gonna go back to where I was and work on the powerjet more. Just gotta work out the stutter in the mid-range power. Any idea how sensitive the PJ is? Would you say a 1/4 turn would have a significant, felt change in performance?

Where I was I had good idle and good wide open, but the mid range felt a little meh to me I'm not sure if its just me at this point though :confused:

Love the mod johnnyboy, definitely gonna try that!
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    quarter turn is rather large as far as the power jet goes..i would try 1/8th turns once its close at all and then perhaps even less....i agree with not worrying about the plug. i basically ignore mine, as i tune for best performance. when the bike runs its best, the plug will last all season more or less..

the power jet will affect either the top half or the top third of the throttle, the difference being how long the "power jet nozzle" is. there is a short or long that could be installed. this is per kevin at lectron. if you have the "long" nozzle the power jet starts working at half throttle and above, so keep that in mind when tuning...take a peek at the tube below where the power jet adjustment screw is, and this will tell you exactly where your power jet is operating at.

cool idea johnnyboy, i like that
  9. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    regarding the throttle sticking this happens several times with me

all times its just water that enters in between the slide and the housing.
    its not from the fuel but either from the cable entry vent hose or simply air filter.

bit of a bitch when it happens in a water crossing which it did 5 times now

besides that the lectron is fine

I routed the vent lines to the top of the bike instead of the bottom

yet a little water entering through the air filter would still be problematic
    you have to remove the full slide and simply make it dry and it goes OK again

if somebody has a remedy for this situation (stronger spring is not one of them as i tried that one already) please let me know

Robert-Jan
  10. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    how the heck can water make a slide stick:confused:
    Xcuvator likes this.
  11. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    My lectrons spend half there lives submerged in water due to the lovely UK weather and have never had a problem, The only time I can see a slide sticking due to water is when it turns to this :lol:

View attachment 52918
  12. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    water is not a lubricant in combination with aluminum and oil.

it truly sticks and it takes quite some force with you fingers to make the slide move in the shaft.

Robert-Jan
  13. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    i cant VIEW ATTACHMENT 52918:confused::cry::banghead:
  14. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
  15. Harley Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 125

Thanks for this info! Following what I got here I sorted my idle and starting - basically went back probably just over a half turn to where I was before. For the PJ I set it at 2.5 turns out and I've been leaning it in from there to work out a little struggling the bike does before the top end power comes on. That is mostly gone now I think maybe another 1/8th turn might sort it completely. :thinking:

Right now I'm pretty happy with my setup though. I believe I'm airing on the rich side as the bike has a good idle that I like but will die out if its sits for a few minutes but this isn't a big deal.

Big thank you to everyone here who replied particularly johnnyboy, justintendo, lankydoug and juicypips its helped me massively :cheers:
  16. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    may the lectron force be with you!:thumbsup:
  17. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Sweet i get a mention, no worries once youve set the lectron up it is a forget about it job well was for me.
    Any issues you know where to come.
    And if it gets you riding time im more than happy to help.
    Motosportz likes this.
  18. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Forgot about this till I re read this thread - On sunday at a local race my mate Trig had just come back in from his sighting lap and parked his bike up back at my van when he noticed fuel running out of a overflow pipe on his Lectron, Turned the fuel off and ran the carb dry and there was a rather large piece of what looked like plastic sitting in the bottom of the bowl but time constraints ment there was no time to do anything about it so off to the starting line he went, Bike ran flawlessly all day and I still havent looked to see if the thing is still flooding or has fixed itself but will pull the bowl to see what the culprit was/is.
    What was suprising is that even with fuel pouring from the overflow the bike still sat there and just idled away as nothing was wrong! Shows how uniportant the float height is on the Lectron.
  19. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i was having problems with float bowl warping before putting on the new style (which hasnt warped)..it had warped enough to let water in while washing with a garden hose. as i was unloading at my riding area my friend noticed i had well over a tablespoon of water in the bowl, you could really see it when it was on its kickstand. the bike never really bobbled that day and when we got back to the truck the water was gone. kevin told me thats part of the function of the "sponge" in the bowl, to slowly work thru water that is present. great freaking carb, i really dont get how theres people that dont like these.
    juicypips likes this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have found mine is also impervious to water. As the fuel is drawn from the top of the bowl and does not come through tiny pilot jets it pretty much eliminates water issues and will just suck the water through or it will just sit in the bowl not hurting anything.