Lectron keeps over filling

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Harley, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Harley Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 125
    Wondering if anyone has any idea of what I should check for an overfilling Lectron...

So far the Lectron has been great and a pleasure to adjust but I'm running into the problem of it overfilling three times now. Seems to just happen whenever the carb pleases - its not constant.

First time it overfilled I found what appear to be metal shavings in the float bowl almost like a metal sand in a few places. These are certainly not coming from my plastic tank or getting through its filter so I assumed these must be from the carb itself :(

Anyway, put it all together and got back to tuning went out for a ride and came back with the carb overfilled again. Properly took it in this time and rinsed out the whole carb. More metal in the bowl again. At this point I was hoping I had got it all after a thorough cleaning.

Came out to the shop this morning and found the bowl filled to the neck again. Had a look and there doesn't seem to be any metal around in the bowl this time and before you ask my float height is set fine as it fills correctly all day until it decides to overfill.

Thing is it seems to only overfill, not overflow right out the overflow pipes. I find it fills to the very top of the bowl but I can only assume at this point it just drips into my engine. :confused:
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Are you finding this after loading it on pick up and driving or just after riding?
    My guess is slide may be picking up on your idle screw if you wound it in with the throttle shut.
    And the debris is wedging the float open when it jiggles through the bowl.

I turn fuel off and run it for a while before i transport bike otherwise i find the bouncing opens the float n overfills the carb that way.
    Good luck an show us what you find.
    (Check slide for gaul marks.)
  3. Harley Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 125
    I know what you mean but I haven't been transporting the bike, this has all just been here and around the yard.

First two times I can only assume the fuel valve was getting stuck open by the metal debris, but this time I'm stumped. Just took the bowl off there and there is no metal or other debris to be seen - I'm completely stumped! Had a good look all over the carb and nothing strikes me as a potential issue.

Nothing has moved or changed since I left last night. Fuel tap was left on and I come in to it filled up. No idea.

I guess I'm just gonna put it back on now and carry on tuning. :o
  4. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Leave fuel tap off when not using the bike, could just be that simple.
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    are you using a fuel filter? almost sounds like the stuff in some filters...either way the lectron kind of has a filter/anti-slosh foam in the bottom of the bowl. is the float valve sealing ok? no debris there? all lectrons are wet bench tested so it would be odd for debris to be inside the carb already, but anything can happen..
  6. Harley Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 125
    No filter other than the one built into the tank. And yes the float valve was the thing I checked but seems clear and works fine.

Continued on tuning today and hasn't overfilled yet but I've made sure to turn off the fuel valve for the night. Hopefully thats the end of it...

Thanks for the suggestions though
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    its probably overkill but i always put a filter inline, ive seen alot of stuff go past the in tank ones whether it be quad, bike, or street. i struggled with a 4 cylinder street bike quite awhile (little jets) only to find the in-tank filter rolling around the bottom of the tank..good luck on the lectron tuning tho and keep us posted on how it goes..
    Motosportz likes this.
  8. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Got rid of my inline filter it starved the flow to the carb.
    probably wouldn't happen with lectron now, but you know the saying once bitten twice shy!
  9. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Your float needle could have been damaged by the metal filings. The next time you are in there you might look at it under magnification.
    Motosportz and justintendo like this.
  10. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    there are lots of different types. never had that happen altho i check for it. i have one on my 110 horse streetbike as well with no starvation and that one feeds four carbs.
  11. Harley Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 125
    So just to post an update the carb hasn't overfilled since. That being said, I have been turning the fuel off when I put it away at night (which is probably a good habit anyway). Two of the occasions of overfilling was while riding the bike.

Tuning has been a breeze obviously although the amount of messing around I have done has been ridiculous.. :o
    I think the carb came setup just as I needed or pretty damn close to where I am now but I think the overfilling threw my adjustment (I was probably compensating for what was metal dust blocking things) as I went way lean at one point like well over 51mm on the rod to get it to run right and have been adjusting back richer ever since. No complaints though as its all been learning and kept me busy - just a little bemused about the metal dust.

Reasonably happy with how it runs now although fine tuning has been near impossible with the brief snow blizzards I've been getting in the last few days.

One thing I could do with some advice on however is my throttle sticking! Not sure if its the cold weather (only 5˚C) but tonight I went out for a short ride and on a few occasions I had to stop with my throttle getting stuck open. Each time I would mess about until the thing seemed to all of a sudden free itself... I'm certain its not my throttle body or the cable so I'm assuming the actual slide is getting stuck.

Any suggestions/experience on that one? I think I read somewhere someone suggested I spray the slide with WD40 would this be correct or possibly some two stroke oil?
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Lots of good suggestions here.

As for the sticking slide when frozen it might be the throttle and cable too. I've had that happen on many bikes through the years in really cold weather especially if you wash your bike. Water gets in everywhere and freezes.
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i use sea foam "deep creep" as my cable lube, seems to not care about temperature and i ride down to about 20 degrees f...also, an excellent penetrant to have on hand. is you cable binding anywhere? like where it exits the top of carb? its advertised on can as being multi purpose, and useful on firearms.
    Motosportz likes this.
  14. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Make sure you don't have a defective throttle assembly.
    [IMG]
  15. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I really like the way Lectrons tune and the perform on the six or so that I have installed.
    What I have been disappointed with is the lack of hard plating or anodizing and machining finish on some critical parts.
    Harley likes this.
  16. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Especially the slide.
    Xcuvator likes this.
  17. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I remember when you tried one on your "3 Hunny"...
    Dirtdame likes this.
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I say this because I love them and believe it is the next logical step.
  19. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yup the slide would be my first to check and tge idle screw i think that may be where the metal originated from, like i mentioned earlyer if you screw the idle in whilst the throttles shut you just wind the point into the side of the slide.
    Humm cold weather carb icing had that several times on my kmx on road i turned intake top around to point toward the exhaust and voila no more carb ice, cant do that on my husky though? :(..
  20. Harley Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 125
    Definitely not my throttle assembly as that was still moving freely and the cable had no tension on it so I'm thinking it must be my slide...

This is a possibility but I have always been careful with the idle adjustment, usually I lift the slide when I adjust the idle if the bike is off.
    It was strange when I was out though I could feel a notch or a notch developing in the slide, almost like I could feel it ever so slightly gripping past maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn open. Maybe the slide is softer than I think.

I'll report back when I take a look at the slide - I've only got WD-40 at the moment though so I think ill put a little on and see how it goes.