Jersey Riders Beware..

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Jersey Woods, Aug 10, 2012.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Joe I was trying to be generous with the width just to show how little disturbed area there really is involved. Always cut the bars to 29" before the first ride. Otherwise you are liable to get rejected in the first 100 yds.
  2. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I guess I don't see that distinct separation. A whole lot (I'd guess 75-95%) of motorcycle "lifestyle recreation" takes place on public roads, or on trail systems on public land. We're not just talking about workday commuters, we're talking about anyone who rides a motorcycle on public land, which I would guess is the vast majority. Yet, in this country, motorcycles are generally seen as, and used for, hobby/recreation purposes (as opposed to pure forms of transporation, as they are in Europe, etc). So, I don't think there is a significant distinction between motorcycles and other types of "lifestyle recreation" from a perspective of legislation. Why should there be?

I think you're using the term "valid argument" to mean "a position with which I agree." What is a "valid argument" for any of the other things I described (skydiving, ice climbing, skiing, small private aircraft, etc)? None of them are "necessary." None of them are the safest or fastest way to accomplish an everyday goal. All of them are significantly more dangerous than "average." You can't "justify" partaking in these activities with anything better than "because I want to." So, I don't see how "I don't want to wear a helmet" is any different than "I want to jump out of an airplane" or "I want to ski down this mountain" or, frankly, "I want to ride a motorcycle."

I disagree. I would suggest that, while it doesn't make sense for the US Government to legislate helmet use (freedom, nanny state, blah blah blah), it is totally reasonable for individual governing bodies of sport and/or insurers to require them within the context of their specific events. Then the rider can make a choice about what they want to do.

I think that anyone not wearing a helmet is a moron. However, the second we start believing that it's right, reasonable, or prudent to pass legislation intended to keep people from making what we determine to be "bad decisions" is the moment that any semblance of a reasonably free society disappears.
  3. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    Back to the the original point when I reopened this thread !

I have seen the AMA work to get other off road areas in the western parts of the US either reopened or fight to keep them opened. I was hoping they would back the ECEA in this battle with the resources they have at their disposal and I'm not happy with the way they are handling this. I'm sure if they did commit to helping us, they could help turn the tide in our favor to at least open some of the single track stuff we lost. We still have some enduros but they are really limited on where we can ride and the times of the year when we can ride. Man do I wish I could turn the hands of time back and enjoy when New Jersey was a great place to live and ride !
  4. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well these a$$ holes are back at it.... They just never give it a rest... This is our latest threat to things we as motor cyclists love to enjoy.... This state has more issues to worry about but they will squander money on stuff like this... It never seems to amaze me on how stupid the leaders of this state are. They kiss up to these environmental nut jobs and ignore the very people who pay their way. As I have said, I'm very sensitive to environmental issues and respect that certain things are off limits in state forests. But these nut jobs want the planet to themselves. They are the same clowns who live in million dollar mansions, drive gas guzzling cars and claim they leave no carbon foot print on this earth. Really ? How do thy heat their houses, drive to work, and dispose of their trash ? The same clowns leave their water bottles and trash everywhere they hike... Ohh I get it.... The rules don't apply to them....

Access to trails for enduros in the Wharton State Forest is in jeopardy under a resolution being considered by the Pinelands Commission.
    The American Motorcyclist Association and East Coast Enduro Association need you to send comments directly to the Pinelands Commission right away and then attend the public hearing scheduled for Thursday in Trenton.
    The resolution references U.S. Geological Survey topographic maps that show only historic roads, with no trails or fire cuts. The resolution then specifies that "The Pinelands Commission finds that recreational use of motor vehicles in Wharton State Forest be limited to the roads on the attached USGS Topographic maps."
    You can read the resolution in its entirety here.
    This plan comes after ECEA and local enduro club representatives have worked relentlessly to preserve access to fire cuts, regain limited access to historic New Jersey single track elsewhere and proposed an amendment to this new resolution. The amendment would exclude events operating under special use permits, which are required for enduros. Pineland Commission members and staff agreed that the amendment was sound and should have been included in the resolution. But it was not.
    Also, the Comprehensive Management Plan-upon which the Pinelands Commission itself is based-clearly defines the traditional role of enduros in Wharton State Forest. The resolution does not refer to that.
    Finally, there is no evidence that any environmental damage to the forest has ever been caused by enduros.
    Your first opportunity to oppose this onerous resolution is to voice your concerns on the Pinelands Commission website.
    Just as important is a strong showing of single track competitors and enthusiasts at Thursday's public hearing in Trenton. If you do attend, pleased be respectful of the process, but also be obvious about your support for enduros by wearing appropriate motorcycle-logoed clothing.
    Despite a controversial pipeline issue also on the Thursday agenda-possibly forcing limited time to speak-a large enduro rider turnout will send a strong message to the commission before the vote.
    WHEN: 9:30 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 14. Please try to be early since the meeting is expected to draw a large crowd.

WHERE: Trenton War Memorial, 1 Memorial Drive, Trenton, N.J.
    HOW TO COMMENT: Send your concerns to the Pinelands Commission here or attend the Sept. 14 meeting. Better yet, do both.
    For more information, email grassroots@amacycle.org.
    Thank you in advance for attending. Please forward this alert to your friends and ask them to attend this meeting, too. If you do attend, your emailing the AMA at grassroots@amacycle.org about the experience will help us be more effective on your behalf.

Now more than ever, it is crucial that you and your riding friends become members of the AMA to help protect our riding freedoms. More members mean more clout against the opponents of motorcycling. That support will help fight for your rights - on the road, trail and racetrack and in the halls of government.

Join the AMA at americanmotorcyclist.com.

If you are an AMA member, encourage your friends to join by telling them about the many AMA benefits you appreciate and the role the AMA plays to promoting the motorcycle lifestyle and protecting the future of motorcycling.
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    God help us, tree huggers everywhere. About 8 years ago I came into the Hotel in town with my mates still wearing our riding gear. A prickly park ranger immediately set upon us as forest desecrators and blew us up for cutting new trails and spoiling the environment. Well we were somewhat abashed and assured him we did not cut trail as it was already well cut (dates back from the gold rush days of the 1850's). The dirt bikes et al just keep them from overgrowing.
    To our rescue was a local volunteer fire fighter who very quietly told the ranger that if it weren't for the fire trails and single trails being kept open the whole town would have been lost during the fires of 2008. Without the trails the fire units and hoses could not have been run out as well.

I would suggest in your case you try to establish how long these "non topo" trails have indeed been in existence and use and point out the potential safety aspects as well-been a lot of fires in the US of late. Thetrails also assist in locating lost hikers etc.
    Good luck with these nuff nuffs who clearly demonstrate an inate ability to ruin other peoples fun while accomplishing exactly nothing of benefit. We call them "oxygen bandits" over here
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    our own government creating outlaws, I know because I am one.
    ks9mm and Jersey Woods like this.
  7. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:

Pretty sad when you a tax paying citizen has to resort to being an outlaw to do something as harmless as riding a motorcycle off road ain't it ? :cheers:
  8. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:

The off road clubs have established all trails and sand roads and how long they have been there. But these people don't wanna hear it. They have their own agendas and nothing in the world will stop them from getting what they want. They get backed by wealthy people and people like us get slammed... I really wished the AMA would get off it's ass and do more than publish a few emails... They have the clout but do little more than belly ache...
  9. PaulD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr250( sold)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint RS. Honda TRX300EX Be
    JW how did things go in Trenton today? Noticing more signs posted down here lately even in some singletrac trails. Seems to be a big push to stop all riding here except on the main dirt roads.
    Jersey Woods likes this.
  10. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    Just saw this posted on the ECEA fb page

Jersey Woods likes this.
  11. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:

So we live to ride another day....
  12. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:

Let's all stick together and protect what is ours. When I see these dirt bags doing bad stuff and causing problems, I'm calling the park police. I'm tired of having things being blamed on us honest riders and park users...And I'm also tired of fighting for what is rightfully mine. This year I will also make sure when our club does our annual forest clean up, that I will make sure that my whole family helps out... It's big deal to us...
    PaulD likes this.
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    The Environazis will never give up. They want all motorized vehicles outlawed. I guarantee that the brain trust here in Commifornia will be the first to ban the use of all internal combustion engines.

I have often pondered about getting an electric bike and heading out to enjoy all of the trails closed to motor vehicle access.
  14. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    wishful thinking. But still a motor. electric motor. We pay the same taxes they do. We should have equal rights to use the same land.
    Jersey Woods likes this.
  15. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:

That's always been my point.... Who the hell are they to tell me that I can't use state park lands yet they can. If they tell me hiking causes less damage than single rack riding they are full sh!t... I hike in a state park not far from my house. The trails are horrible from all the foot traffic. And when it gets to tough to walk, they make another section around it.... Just saying..
  16. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    The only ticket I ever got for riding my DS was for using public lands. Found a cool looking trail, no signage about motor vehicle entry, noticed lots of knobby tracks, so went for it. About a mile in, I came across 2 guys on bikes coming the other direction. Turns out it was a pair of deputies on DRZ 400s that motioned for me to stop.

They wrote me up for...get this..."Unauthorized Trespass on Public Land". So while it was ridiculous and they kind of knew it, I asked How come you guys get to ride this trail if its for non-motorized use. They said they can't get a SUV back there, and it's too far to hike for proper enforcement and safety.
    Jersey Woods likes this.
  17. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    "unauthorized trespass on public land" Aren,t you part of the public. Take the ticket and consider that a day pass for riding.
    Jersey Woods likes this.
  18. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I did ask that since I was already paying for it, if I could just ride the rest. They chuckled and said Uh No.
    Jersey Woods likes this.